Don't know login password??!!

Somehow a password was set for Admin on my laptop with NT4.
Before I just clicked enter when the log in screen
appeared. Now it asks for a password and I have no idea
what it is. I have tried Guest as well and cannot get on
that way either.

There is a program called ERD Commander that supposedly
can get me in to remove the password but it costs $399.
Is there any other way to get in?

Johanna

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Hello,

>Somehow a password was set for Admin on my laptop with NT4.
>Before I just clicked enter when the log in screen
>appeared. Now it asks for a password and I have no idea
>what it is. I have tried Guest as well and cannot get on
>that way either.
>
>There is a program called ERD Commander that supposedly
>can get me in to remove the password but it costs $399.
>Is there any other way to get in?

There are significantly less expensive password recovery software solutions
available - try http://www.password-software.com/password-recovery.htm

Johanna

Calvin

Hi William,

there is no simple way to retreive a lost password on an NT system. There are
3rd party tools that claim to be able to, but nothing (that I'm aware of)
available as freeware - somebody please correct this statement if it is wrong!

To get you back into your system, the approach normally taken is to reset the
admin password to a known state - this tool:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ - Offline NT Password and Registry
Editor by Petter Nordahl-Hagen

will allow you to acheive this. Once it is back to a known value, you can log in
again normally.

Calvin.