Router to modem problem

Hi all
I've posted here about this before but the post seems to have dissappeared!!
Basically..the problem is this:
I have an actiotec wireless router connected to a surfboard cable modem. We
have 4 pc's on the wireless network. All worked fine until recently..now the
ping times between the router and the modem have gone haywire. Using PIng
Plotter i can see the connection from my pc to the router is fine (average
ping = 3) anf rom the modem on wards the ping dont climb much. However
BETWEEN the router and the modem the pings can vary between 10 and 1200 and
there seems to be no consistenvcy about it.
Its not other wireless devices and its not other people on the network, i've
checked both of these. The pings seem fine in the morning but after that they
start to climb.
Resetting the router helps sometimes and everythnig goes back to normal but
frquently the pings then climb again shortly after.

Any clues? I'm guessing the cable between the router and modem is ok
otherwise the problem would be more consistent...wouldnt it?
3 answers Last reply
More about router modem problem

    Quick update - the problem is in fact between the access point hub and the
    modem. I thought it was called a router....hmmm...maybe this explains why im
    struggling with it? :o)

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:15:02 -0700, kuju wrote:

    > "kuju" wrote:

    >> Hi all
    >> I've posted here about this before but the post seems to have dissappeared!!
    >> Basically..the problem is this:
    >> I have an actiotec wireless router connected to a surfboard cable modem. We
    >> have 4 pc's on the wireless network. All worked fine until recently..now the
    >> ping times between the router and the modem have gone haywire. Using PIng
    >> Plotter i can see the connection from my pc to the router is fine (average
    >> ping = 3) anf rom the modem on wards the ping dont climb much. However
    >> BETWEEN the router and the modem the pings can vary between 10 and 1200 and
    >> there seems to be no consistenvcy about it.
    >> Its not other wireless devices and its not other people on the network, i've
    >> checked both of these. The pings seem fine in the morning but after that they
    >> start to climb.
    >> Resetting the router helps sometimes and everythnig goes back to normal but
    >> frquently the pings then climb again shortly after.
    >>
    >> Any clues? I'm guessing the cable between the router and modem is ok
    >> otherwise the problem would be more consistent...wouldnt it?

    > Quick update - the problem is in fact between the access point hub and the
    > modem. I thought it was called a router....hmmm...maybe this explains why im
    > struggling with it? :o)

    Could you post a tracert to "www.microsoft.com"? I am just trying to
    understand your connection. I have a DSL modem connected to a router; but
    the DSL modem is acting as a bridge, and my first hop of a tracert shows up
    as a router on my ISP's network. Some SOHO routers show up first, as the
    gateway to that LAN, with the ISP's router on the second hop. Some
    first/second hop IP addresses on cable networks are actually the CMT, so
    your ISP's router may show up on the second/third hop.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    Er...ooookkk...whats a tracert? I googled it and got the website up..andthen
    got lost!

    "N. Miller" wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:15:02 -0700, kuju wrote:
    >
    > > "kuju" wrote:
    >
    > >> Hi all
    > >> I've posted here about this before but the post seems to have dissappeared!!
    > >> Basically..the problem is this:
    > >> I have an actiotec wireless router connected to a surfboard cable modem. We
    > >> have 4 pc's on the wireless network. All worked fine until recently..now the
    > >> ping times between the router and the modem have gone haywire. Using PIng
    > >> Plotter i can see the connection from my pc to the router is fine (average
    > >> ping = 3) anf rom the modem on wards the ping dont climb much. However
    > >> BETWEEN the router and the modem the pings can vary between 10 and 1200 and
    > >> there seems to be no consistenvcy about it.
    > >> Its not other wireless devices and its not other people on the network, i've
    > >> checked both of these. The pings seem fine in the morning but after that they
    > >> start to climb.
    > >> Resetting the router helps sometimes and everythnig goes back to normal but
    > >> frquently the pings then climb again shortly after.
    > >>
    > >> Any clues? I'm guessing the cable between the router and modem is ok
    > >> otherwise the problem would be more consistent...wouldnt it?
    >
    > > Quick update - the problem is in fact between the access point hub and the
    > > modem. I thought it was called a router....hmmm...maybe this explains why im
    > > struggling with it? :o)
    >
    > Could you post a tracert to "www.microsoft.com"? I am just trying to
    > understand your connection. I have a DSL modem connected to a router; but
    > the DSL modem is acting as a bridge, and my first hop of a tracert shows up
    > as a router on my ISP's network. Some SOHO routers show up first, as the
    > gateway to that LAN, with the ISP's router on the second hop. Some
    > first/second hop IP addresses on cable networks are actually the CMT, so
    > your ISP's router may show up on the second/third hop.
    >
    > --
    > Norman
    > ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
    > ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    > ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Routers Modem Wireless Networking