Very slow share - NT Server

NT Server 4.0 SP6a
35 clients
one domain
intel pentium II 600 MHz
256 MB RAM

we've had this setup for years with no problems. now if a client opens a
shared directory, it takes a long while just for a folder or file to
highlight after you click on it. other tasks involving shared directories
take a very long time, as well. this never used to happen.

we recently installed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.1. i believe
everything was still fine for a little while after installing that, but i'm
not sure.

does this sound like something that adding a second processor and more RAM
would fix?

thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about very slow share server

    I would disable the Symantec and see if that helps first. Sounds like it is
    scanning everything and slowing down the network shares.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Richard B" <xrich@hfk.orgx> wrote in message
    > NT Server 4.0 SP6a
    > 35 clients
    > one domain
    > intel pentium II 600 MHz
    > 256 MB RAM
    >
    > we've had this setup for years with no problems. now if a client opens a
    > shared directory, it takes a long while just for a folder or file to
    > highlight after you click on it. other tasks involving shared directories
    > take a very long time, as well. this never used to happen.
    >
    > we recently installed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.1. i believe
    > everything was still fine for a little while after installing that, but
    i'm
    > not sure.
    >
    > does this sound like something that adding a second processor and more RAM
    > would fix?
    >
    > thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    I run corporate ver.8 with a bunch of 233mhz boxs ...onl ylong delays with
    it are when accessing a share with over 5000 files on the drive..

    check your protocals ...using more than one for file sharing ? there is also
    an option in ver. 8 to disable scanning across the network (by default it
    scans all network access's too)

    hope that helps

    "Richard B" <xrich@hfk.orgx> wrote in message
    > NT Server 4.0 SP6a
    > 35 clients
    > one domain
    > intel pentium II 600 MHz
    > 256 MB RAM
    >
    > we've had this setup for years with no problems. now if a client opens a
    > shared directory, it takes a long while just for a folder or file to
    > highlight after you click on it. other tasks involving shared directories
    > take a very long time, as well. this never used to happen.
    >
    > we recently installed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.1. i believe
    > everything was still fine for a little while after installing that, but
    i'm
    > not sure.
    >
    > does this sound like something that adding a second processor and more RAM
    > would fix?
    >
    > thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    If disabling the Anti-virus product doesn't help,
    move the machine to a closer network connection to
    the main switch stack and see if this fixes the problem.

    If so, you may have a bad network line, or bad termination on the RJ45 connector.
    Monty
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    thanks for the advice, everyone.

    there was a bottleneck in the network that new equipment fixed.

    "Monty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If disabling the Anti-virus product doesn't help,
    > move the machine to a closer network connection to
    > the main switch stack and see if this fixes the problem.
    >
    > If so, you may have a bad network line, or bad termination on the RJ45
    connector.
    > Monty

Microsoft Servers Windows