Very slow share - NT Server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 12, 2004 7:06:15 PM

NT Server 4.0 SP6a
35 clients
one domain
intel pentium II 600 MHz
256 MB RAM

we've had this setup for years with no problems. now if a client opens a
shared directory, it takes a long while just for a folder or file to
highlight after you click on it. other tasks involving shared directories
take a very long time, as well. this never used to happen.

we recently installed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.1. i believe
everything was still fine for a little while after installing that, but i'm
not sure.

does this sound like something that adding a second processor and more RAM
would fix?

thanks.

More about : slow share server

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 7:06:16 PM

I would disable the Symantec and see if that helps first. Sounds like it is
scanning everything and slowing down the network shares.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Richard B" <xrich@hfk.orgx> wrote in message
news:o Y2y1QFOEHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> NT Server 4.0 SP6a
> 35 clients
> one domain
> intel pentium II 600 MHz
> 256 MB RAM
>
> we've had this setup for years with no problems. now if a client opens a
> shared directory, it takes a long while just for a folder or file to
> highlight after you click on it. other tasks involving shared directories
> take a very long time, as well. this never used to happen.
>
> we recently installed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.1. i believe
> everything was still fine for a little while after installing that, but
i'm
> not sure.
>
> does this sound like something that adding a second processor and more RAM
> would fix?
>
> thanks.

May 13, 2004 3:38:15 PM

I run corporate ver.8 with a bunch of 233mhz boxs ...onl ylong delays with
it are when accessing a share with over 5000 files on the drive..

check your protocals ...using more than one for file sharing ? there is also
an option in ver. 8 to disable scanning across the network (by default it
scans all network access's too)

hope that helps

"Richard B" <xrich@hfk.orgx> wrote in message
news:o Y2y1QFOEHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> NT Server 4.0 SP6a
> 35 clients
> one domain
> intel pentium II 600 MHz
> 256 MB RAM
>
> we've had this setup for years with no problems. now if a client opens a
> shared directory, it takes a long while just for a folder or file to
> highlight after you click on it. other tasks involving shared directories
> take a very long time, as well. this never used to happen.
>
> we recently installed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.1. i believe
> everything was still fine for a little while after installing that, but
i'm
> not sure.
>
> does this sound like something that adding a second processor and more RAM
> would fix?
>
> thanks.

May 14, 2004 4:56:03 PM

If disabling the Anti-virus product doesn't help,
move the machine to a closer network connection to
the main switch stack and see if this fixes the problem.

If so, you may have a bad network line, or bad termination on the RJ45 connector.
Monty
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:09:25 PM

thanks for the advice, everyone.

there was a bottleneck in the network that new equipment fixed.

!