Last response: in CPUs

what CPU do use for gaming? just for a feel about the ppl here

Total: 42 votes

• Intel
  • 17 %
  • AMD
  • 84 %
November 15, 2005 1:44:42 AM

yo, should i swtich from amd 3700+ socket 754(cheap at $199.99 at with an agp mobo) 2.4ghz to P4 519 (same price but with an pci express mobo and supports 1066mhz cpu for future use) at 3.06ghz?
the reason being the 754 socket won't be further developed and intel socket 755 has potential to upgrade. So i start off low then move up as intel make better CPU's (hopefully)

one more Q, does a even an athlon 64 3000+ beat a P4 at 533mhz fsb and 3Ghz in games like HL2 and Doom 3?

thanks in advance

More about : shld swtich amd intel

a b à CPUs
November 15, 2005 2:07:29 AM

well i'd say stay away form intel from gaming, and since the 939 is not going to be phased out for another 1.5-2 years its still okay to get lol...

and lookie here : http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&mode...
http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&mode...
http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&mode...

now this AMD 3000 was a winchester, with older techology than the Venice (what you usually get now) AND this is with a VIA chipset, which was one of the, if not the worst chipset is out there....

and the intel is a northwood, the most successful P4 core they ever made, had it been a P4-C or Prescott 3GHZ........................................................

so does that answer ur question?
November 15, 2005 3:04:51 AM

An A64 2800, on s754 would put that P4 to shame, in games and out.
The only good thing about prescotts using the 133/533 bus is they wont melt the mobo. Even with a 200/800 fsb, the P4s are bandwidth starved, and wont play games as well as an A64 with a PR # equal to thier speed.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2005 4:06:51 AM

BTW just for accrucy, are there any reports of melted mobo with P4-C?? like litterly melted and died?? i mean with a shitty cooler that someone put on with an OEM and a cheap arse mobo that cuts corners, can this happen? or has it already happended with even well known brands?
November 15, 2005 4:23:38 AM

thanks guys, i think im gonna ditch intel, they are no good
November 15, 2005 4:59:08 AM

Quote:
An A64 2800, on s754 would put that P4 to shame, in games and out.
The only good thing about prescotts using the 133/533 bus is they wont melt the mobo. Even with a 200/800 fsb, the P4s are bandwidth starved, and wont play games as well as an A64 with a PR # equal to thier speed.

I know someone who has a 3.0Gh intel cpu, and a X850XT PE and is equal to my computer in all demos for games we both had. we were within 5% at all times....my computer is in my sig. A gpu that WAY less then his and a cpu that is 1.8Ghz to his 3.0Ghz. The intel starved his X850XTPE....
November 15, 2005 5:00:34 AM

Quote:
BTW just for accrucy, are there any reports of melted mobo with P4-C?? like litterly melted and died?? i mean with a shitty cooler that someone put on with an OEM and a cheap arse mobo that cuts corners, can this happen? or has it already happended with even well known brands?

Well i dont know of any confiremd reports but any cpu that puts out 130W of heat and throttles itself at stock speeds with a stock cooler is hillariously bad.

my cpu has never been above 50c ever....There are prescotts that have never been below 60....because dell has only one case fan and stock cooling..LOL!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
November 15, 2005 5:02:02 AM

Quote:

its not that they are no good....just certain products....i like the P4c, great overclocker. I liek the mobile chips they have....dont dog on Intel because they have one shitty product.

Ford built a fiesta, but they also built the GT40.....so be careful about that.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2005 5:13:34 AM

like pickxx said, its only certain intel products that sucks, and under certain conditions as well, now if we all had access to liquid nitro 24/7 i bet you that intel will be the best performer out there, last for about like a month but hey, its will run at amazing speeds (7.4GHZ anyone?), their P-Ms are incrediable performers, considering their battery life in that is, the turions are better performers, but battery life is less, which is important if your are going to use it for day to day operations like taking notes in a school with a tablet.

on the side, the P-M uses a improved PIII artechet for its core...... so we can se how big the williamtite and prescott screwed up with normal operation conditions......

thier celeron i think is the cheapest proc out there.... if you want a new comp under $250 USD or $300 USD with a monitor and mouse and keyboard, i think the celerons are the only way to go lol
November 15, 2005 5:33:23 AM

The celeronD is an ok chip, but not as good a performer as the Semprons. The semprons are also generally cheaper.
The stuff you said about high speed Prescotts is a little overboard. For those who know how to use water, the scotties are good to around 5ghz. They really are good for people who can pull that off. I promised one of our forum members that I would stop talking about his rig, but I hope he wont be offended if I say that he has had some really amazing results by including a freezer in his water cooling system. If you are prepared to go the extra kilometer on cooling, the prescott becomes a great product. Doesnt work out in price/performance though.
November 15, 2005 6:23:40 AM

Quote:
Doesnt work out in price/performance though.

What does? lol
$1100 FX57? $1000 EE's? $650 7800GTX 512mb? $650 X1800XT's? $150 Raptors? Anything in the Fatality prodcut line?

the best price/performance is usually something near or at the bottom....6600GT's, 6800GS's, 3200+, 2.8Ghz P4C, 200GB IDE for 50bucks, and so on...
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2005 11:37:07 AM

well in order to get to a high clock speed on a scotty is hard w/o some sort of sub zero cooling, and i wondered why he didn't like us talking about the fridge?? (yes, i was here when he got mad about it, can i get an answer why he got like semi flamed?? someone explain it to me plz lol, because it was as much a mystry to me as when wusy started to flame me....)

no names mentioned
November 17, 2005 1:01:52 AM

Quote:

why base your decisions on a bunch of mongrels? knowing full well their statements regarding Intel game play are just flat out wrong.

just get an Intel system put in a good current Ati or Nvdia card and play your favorite games, you will see equal performance in either case.

now, if all you do is run benchmarks for most of the day, then yes, get an Amd based system and make sure you get a 'see thru' plexiglass case.

now I know why Mac users don't bother with benchmarks and crap like that, they are too busy churning out multimedia, indie movies and designing websites.
November 17, 2005 1:42:42 PM

Why should he base his decision upon the word of a fanboi that won't even consider alternatives to his oh so Godly Intel? Personally, I really liked the Northwood C, but once the Athlon 64s started shipping, the writing was on the wall for Intel.

The only idiot is the one that blindly recommends one CPU over everything... simply out of brand loyalty, rather than any objective opinion.
November 17, 2005 10:10:55 PM

By the way clown, since you didnt not help the other guy that had a problem with overheating with his Intel system (even if you would simply have said that it is an user error), maybe you should try to help the other one that have a problem with his dual core Intel 830D. I mean.. well, you may praise Intel, but they do have problem sometime, so, how come that you are not there to help?? Isn't what those forum are for?

Oh, I was forgetting.. your only a troll.
November 18, 2005 12:28:11 AM

Quote:
well, you may praise Intel, but they do have problem sometime, so, how come that you are not there to help??

The problem is he doesn't know how!
November 20, 2005 1:50:55 PM

Quote:

Ughh, can't believe that statement, how old are you?

It all depends on what you want. Period. I have had an FX 57 rig, and now am quite happy running an intel D945Pbs rig with a 571J overclocked the boards maximum 4% to 3.95. It games every bit as good as the FX-57. I cannot tell any difference with the naked eye. My idle temps with an XP-120-- 34-35, loaded high 40's to low 50's.

BUT: my Intel rig with Hyperthreading does not bog down when multitasking nearly like that FX did, that is the reason I went back to Intel. At the time I put it together I couldn't justify spending the going price for a new X2 4800, (I got the FX in a deal, much less than retail then)

Yes, the FX's benches where slightly better. But forget about that benchmark 500 race, who really cares about it but you? There is no gain, it gets you no farther in life to have the absolute fastest rig in the nation, and you'll never achieve it. Nirvana building race computers does not exist. Build a fast stable rig, be happy and play.

I am not an Intel fanboi by any means, I have built many computers over the years and found Intel to be the most stable, the most hassle free (hardware compatablity) and the ones I have built for people never come back to me with any problems.

So if you want the fastest gaming system (benchmarkwise) then get an A64, if you want a good all purpose rig then Intel is a wise choice.
November 20, 2005 1:54:32 PM

For a stranger, you have said some wise statements. I commend your words of wisdom.
November 20, 2005 10:32:46 PM

Quote:
For a stranger, you have said some wise statements. I commend your words of wisdom.

Thank you kind sir.

After years of getting nowhere playing that overclock game I have come to the conclusion that it is better to spend a bit more on the largest chip one can buy than drive myself crazy looking for the right pieces to make cheaper hardware perform. (whew, long sentence...)

Really it works out in the end because you no longer need to go through multiple sets of memory and processors trying to pick out the best performers. And it seems to be all luck sometimes, you can buy some out of the batch that everyone claims does so well and it turns out to be no better than the rest.

One great thing about leaving overclocking behind is you no longer have those crashes that occur at the most inopportune times. This is a result of always trying to push it a little farther than you should, because of our obsessive compulsive nature we tend to do this. The BEST part is you now have a lot more time to do the things that a computer was meant to do, rather than always testing for stabilty on an idea you thought up to eek out a few more megahertz......

I gave up on the insanity of overclocking last January, and my computing has been much more enjoyable and much less frustrating since then.

Sorry to get off topic, but to the OP there is nothing wrong with either AMD or Intel, they are both good performers. If you are like me and do a moderate amount of video encoding and multitasking then Intel is recommended, if you are stricktly a gamer and are hanging on every FPS you can possibly get then an N4 system is in order (just say NO to via...) If you have deep pockets then there have been a lot of great things said about the X2's, (although I have never owned one) and that could be the best of both worlds. However I have not read any good reviews on the Dual Core Intel 800 series chips, I would tend to believe that at this point in time the X2's would be the platform of choice for dual core.

Good luck with your decision!
November 20, 2005 10:37:31 PM

I gave up uber overclocking a few years ago also. (ok, maybe it wasn't uber, but I gave it up anyway)
Now, though, I still buy the premium overclockable parts, just am satified with a 5% o/c now, and have no problems at ultra low mem timings of 2-2-2-5, which suits me fine.
November 20, 2005 10:51:28 PM

Heres something I'll get flamed about but whatever. I quit OC'ing when the P2 came out, I've always considered people that majorly OC have bigger balls than brains. People like to talk about how far they OC but its like guys talking about the length of you know what (BS). Sure some chips OC great but becuase your X Chip did doesnt mean mine will.

Ok my rant is over you may flame away.

EDIT: Stock speeds are good enough, put your egos away.
November 20, 2005 11:09:06 PM

No need to flame that, unless the truth hurtz! Besides, you do not want to overclock your production rigs anyways.
!