what graphics card maker?

coolcat23

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a new graphics card and was wondering if you think there is any quility difference between graphics card makers, I am looking for a company that won't break down after two months.
I am considering a 7800 gtx 256 or 512 from the following:
xfx
bfg
asus

I am not talking about extra features but of build quility.
lastly what do you think of xfx graphics cards?

your input is much apreciated.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
all 3 are good....my personal choice is BFG

3 reasons

1) lifetime warranty, thats not a fake lifetime but YOUR lifetime and also its transferable so when you sell your card later it will still have a full lifetime warranty for them as well so you can resll higher. Check ebay, the prices for the BFG's are higher because people know about marrany and quality.

2) Its ocerclocked out of the box, so you get slightly faster speeds and the warranty covers for those speeds...so you get a certified OC

3) 24/7 tech support....some are mon-fri 9-5...but 24/7 tech support is crazy and also they are great. I used it to fix a problem i was having with ym video card drivers and they helped me. The guy was on the phone for 2 hours with me and waited while i rebooted a bunch of times and was friendly and didn't rush me or seem like he had betterthings to do.

Thats my opinion, BFG is my favorite....i also like HIS for ATI....i wouldbuy nothing but those two brands....period!

coolcat23

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
thanks for answering. I live outside the US so I am not sure the warrenty applies to me, but what I was more interested to know was, has anyone had any particular tech problems with these companies like burnouts or failures. are any of these manufacturers card prone to any problems? I don't want to purchase a card that will break down in a month and have to be replaced.

again I would appreciate any input anyone has to give on these issues

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
All three of the ones you listed are good card makers, and you have an even chance of getting a bad seed but overall you are good to go with all 3.

I dont see why you couldn't partake in the BFG warranty....i just e-mailed them about it, and they should get back to be withink 2days. i'll let you know when they do.

coolcat23

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
Thanks Alot I really appreciate that.
maybe you could answer another question I have. I currently have an agp motherboard and I plan to get a pci-e one with the graphics card. I have an antec 480 truepower and as far as I know doesn't have specific pci-e connectors. I do not plan to replace it. is there some kind of adaptors I can use for the MB and the card?

coolcat23

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
Thank you again for your input. I have been reading alot about the difference between the 7800 gtx 256 and the 1800xt. I have decided to go for the xfx 7800 gtx oc at 490. it seems a better choice of the two.

coolcat23

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2004
actually, where I live they cost about the same, but with the release if the new nvidia drivers you can match two cards in sli from different vendors as long as they have the same core so I think they no longer have to have the same revision and stuff. that means that in a couple of months instead of having to buy a better card I can buy another for sli and save money for the increased performance.