TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hey everyone, wondering if someone can help me. I am looking to build a new computer however i am not sure which graphics card to go for, there are hundreds available, i am looking to spend around 120-140 at most. I need the game to play games like doom 3 at top spec, i also know that you can unlock some cards pipelines therefore making them more powerful, i am sure there is an ATI card which is possible for this. I would be interested in buying cards like these as they are cheaper and can be oc'd, anyway im getting off track, can anyone help me choose the right card. I currently have a radeon 9250 256mb which can only play doom 3 at low spec which still crash. Thanks

PS which is better for going for just now 32 bit processor or 64 bit, i only need the comp mainly for gaming and the net.

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
get the radeon x800xl 256mb crossfire PCIe from tiger for 129.99(rebate), or the geforce 6600 w/ or w/o sli for 114.99 (rebate) or 104.99 (no rabate)
these are for PCIe board, do you have one?

for agp, geforce 6600 256mb at 124.99

32, 64, it doesn't matter at all for right now. cuz it's gonna be awhile til 64 bit apps come out. by awhile i mean a few years. u might as will get a athlon 64 cuz there's not much price difference.

hope this helps

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
thanks for your feedback, i am not sure whether to get a board that is PCIe or AGP i know more about agp than PCIe i read though that PCIe speeds are up to 16x which seems pretty good. Not sure at the mo, i am selling my current pc to fund my new one so i have a couple of weeks to think it over. If anyone else has any feedback it would be appreciated.

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
Now, how long do u want ur rig to last? One year+? then go for agp and i have a great deal for you if you wanna look into it. The thing is that AGP gfx are not gonnaa be produced in the future plus they are MORE expensive. There's not much performance difference currently. If you go PCIe, then it'll probably last you two+ years, depending on how the mobo is. To summarize, if you want the best of right now, go agp. If you have the future in mind, go PCIe.

BTW, this is important, you going with AMD i assume?

let me know,

thankx for the question

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yes i am going to go for an AMD processor, i like the idea of the pentium 4's because they have more level 2 cache than the amd's. The affordable AMD's only have 512 at most whereas some of the pentiums i have seen are affordable, support 64bit and have at least 1mb level 2 cache. However i have used AMD all my computer building life and they have never let me down once. Anyway i think i am gonna go for a PCIe motherboard, what is the link to the site where i can get the radeon x800xl 256mb for £130?
Thanks

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
My IQ has sunk 100 pioints reading this thread. I am now only a mediocre genuis.

Answer to the badly posed question:
If you buy a new computer, the motherboard will have a PCIe bus for graphics. You have no choice in this. The PCIe 16x 'Haxxor' speed means nothing in you mind, so you can forget about bragging to your friends about the size of your e-penis.

Benchmarks. You must look at benchmarks. For both CPU and GPU and according to the applications you use. Cache numbers and 'bit' numbers are obviously meaningless to you and you should forget all about them. Throw them out of your head, RIGHT NOW.

Building your own computer is a very bad idea if you fail to do even a little bit of very basic research. I suggest you buy a pre-built. I hear Dell has some good deals.

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
actually not all new motherboards support PCIe i have done my research and you can still buy NEW MB's with agp support that dont have PCIe, also it has been a few years since i built my last pc so you can understand how i cannot be a genius like yourself at knowing about PCIe, and when did it not matter about the cache? the last i remember the more cache the processor has the better. and actually i have a HND in computing so maybe these cache numbers and bit numbers that your reffering to mean more to me than you think. and btw for your information i dont want to go to dell and get shafted for a pc as i am more than capable of building them. Thanks for your help but i already know about benchmark results i was just curious about what other GFX cards people know about that are good value. i sincerely apoligise if your IQ has been damaged in anyway. oh yeah and im being sarcastic

and when did it not matter about the cache? the last i remember the more cache the processor has the better.

You've been woefully misinformed. Cache will speed up a processor to a point; but once you get beyond that point, you either get no improvement or even possibly performance actually gets worse.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
You can still buy a new tape-deck. What's your point?

And cache. Put a gigabyte of cache on an original 8086. Wow! It would be super haxxor awesome, right? I mean a gigabyte of cache!

I know what I'm bying as my next CPU.
Fer sure.

What I'm saying is, if a CPU plays your games quicker than another, what do you care for the amount of cache its architecture calls for?

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
all right fair enuff, i just didnt appreciate the way your were coming across in your first post with your lost IQ part. the only reason about the whole cache situation is because i am doing a lot of research in this next pc as i am going to be spending around 700 before i buy the the GFX card. I have decided on one of these two processors as they are both in my price range, what do you think?
AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3000+ 512kb L2 Cache
or
Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz Socket 775 2mb L2 Cache

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
go with the AMD 3000 definitely, it out runs the P4 by like 7fps, but that is almost nothing. i guess if u've used amd for a long time then keep on using it. for the graphic card, if u can spend more than 140, say like 160, then i recommend the Radeon X800GTO, cuz u can unlock pipe and it'll last u for a while. for 20 bucks more than ur budget u can have a way better card. Get it either from www.tigetdirect.com or www.newgg.com (tax for CA ppl)

DO NOT get a new mobo with AGP, agp cards are more expenisve and they will be discontinued in the future.

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
thanks man, i will have a look at that GFX card and i think i will just get the AMD as like you say i have been using the AMDs since i got my first pc, the only thing that drew me to the pentium was the 2mb L2 cache but as Snorkius says it dont matter what cache the processor has as long as the games play great

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
okay, thewhitezombie, check your PM.

The GeCube one is fine for it's price but don get the sapphire. they have great bundles but you can't tweak it.