xp sp2 hub-bub

Hi all,

I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World there
was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious. What
is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
had for years.
I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to take
these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's all
a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
little easier. Yes?
I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer their
time and opinions to novices like me!
Matt
15 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    While security in SP2 is greatly improved with the addition of a Pop-up
    blocker for IE and improved firewall settings it is completely inacurrate to
    state that it will help in any way with adware\spyware. The simple truth of
    the matter is that these sorts of problems are as a direct result of the
    overwhelming drive for advertiements and monitary gain. For that there is no
    cure. I have SP2 and the one thing I note is improved system performance.
    There seems to be no other change from SP2 RC2.

    Think of it like this:

    Years ago, Lead rich petrol was a good way to run your
    car, nobody thought of the inherrant problems this would
    cause like polution, now, we know that unleaded petrol is
    not only better for the environment, but also better for
    your car. As a Novitiate to Driving, I am left wondering
    Why I should bother filling up my car with unleaded
    (which in some cases is more expensive) when leaded is
    just fine for me!

    SP2 for WinXP will be just fine, all of us will just have
    to get used to it, YES, it is going to be scarry, because
    some apps may not function as before, but thats all part
    of learning and growing! 20 Years ago you didn't stay up
    all night sweatting about whether your Email account was
    full of spam! so just be patient, read reviews, and keep
    posting questions!

    It's not because XP is "so lacking", the fact is that ad/spyware, viruses
    etc. has increased dramatically in volume over the last several years &
    naturally they are written to target the most extensively used OS, i.e. XP.

    --

    johnf

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest
    > products, and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent
    > PC World there was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and
    > frankly I'm curious. What is the great interest in it in this
    > newsgroup? Is the current version so lacking that the optimism is high
    > for SP2? Having just purchased a new computer with XP Home, we are
    > thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we had for years.
    > I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to
    > take these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware.
    > It's all a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all
    > straight a little easier. Yes?
    > I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
    > their time and opinions to novices like me!
    > Matt

    XP is not lacking... it has too many open gates for vendors, advertisers,
    data miners etc. MS could have made it tighter and more secure in the
    beginning; now, MS has to pay the extra cost so that users don't run away
    from IE, MediaPlayer etc.
    Michael

    "Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
    > and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
    > there
    > was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
    > What
    > is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
    > lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
    > computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
    > had for years.
    > I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to take
    > these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's
    > all
    > a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
    > little easier. Yes?
    > I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
    > their
    > time and opinions to novices like me!
    > Matt

    Just see all the information at
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
    All your questions are answered there.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
    > and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
    > there
    > was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
    > What
    > is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
    > lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
    > computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
    > had for years.
    > I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to take
    > these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's
    > all
    > a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
    > little easier. Yes?
    > I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
    > their
    > time and opinions to novices like me!
    > Matt

    Thanks Mike.

    Matt and Daria Roesch wrote:
    > Thanks Mike.
    >

    > Just see all the information at

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
    > All your questions are answered there.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    AND: as you can obviously see from all the comments; lots of opinions, pro &
    con. People just like to discuss anything new.

    --
    Gene K

    "Grant" <geashworth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Think of it like this:
    >
    > Years ago, Lead rich petrol was a good way to run your
    > car, nobody thought of the inherrant problems this would
    > cause like polution, now, we know that unleaded petrol is
    > not only better for the environment, but also better for
    > your car.

    That is a HIGHLY debatable statement. Unleaded petrol contains all sorts of
    highly carcinogenic (sp?) elements that leaded petrol did not. There are
    many eminent scientists who have said that they would rather have the lead
    than the nasty chemicals in unleaded petrol. And it is NOT "better for the
    car"!

    "Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
    > and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
    there
    > was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
    What
    > is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
    > lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
    > computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
    > had for years.

    From what I've read, Windows is the only system being targeted at the
    present. OS/2 from IBM isn't. The latter system is just as vulnerable to
    attack, but for lack of interest, it is relatively safe. Same also re: Mac &
    Linux... Linux I tried, liking it I'm not.... The pblm with Windows is
    Gates & his reputation, and why people are plagueing his system.. Have you
    noticed how his company follows the inventive followers....
    :)..

    Originator wrote:

    > "Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
    >>and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
    >
    > there
    >
    >>was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
    >
    > What
    >
    >>is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
    >>lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
    >>computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
    >>had for years.
    >

    > From what I've read, Windows is the only system being targeted at the
    > present. OS/2 from IBM isn't. The latter system is just as vulnerable to
    > attack, but for lack of interest, it is relatively safe. Same also re: Mac &
    > Linux... Linux I tried, liking it I'm not.... The pblm with Windows is
    > Gates & his reputation, and why people are plagueing his system.. Have you
    > noticed how his company follows the inventive followers....
    > :)..
    >

    > Maybe I read it wrong, but I found a place to download SP2
    and looked at the defaults that it seemed to be trying to
    do for me, that I wasn't so sure I wanted, that I discontinued
    it and figured I'd wait until it has been around for awhile,
    and see what other people find.

    You know, XP with SP1 ain't exactly broke, from my own usage,
    and it don't have to be fixed. It's a darn good, tolerant,
    self-fixing system just as it is.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    So far it's worked great for my clients machines. There are some problems
    with the DEP (data execution prevention) in SP2 but they are minor from what
    I hear...and not really Microsoft's fault (imagine that).
    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Originator wrote:
    >
    >> "Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
    >>>and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
    >>
    >> there
    >>
    >>>was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
    >>
    >> What
    >>
    >>>is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
    >>>lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
    >>>computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
    >>>had for years.
    >>

    >> From what I've read, Windows is the only system being targeted at the
    >> present. OS/2 from IBM isn't. The latter system is just as vulnerable to
    >> attack, but for lack of interest, it is relatively safe. Same also re:
    >> Mac &
    >> Linux... Linux I tried, liking it I'm not.... The pblm with Windows
    >> is
    >> Gates & his reputation, and why people are plagueing his system.. Have
    >> you
    >> noticed how his company follows the inventive followers....
    >> :)..
    >>

    >> Maybe I read it wrong, but I found a place to download SP2
    > and looked at the defaults that it seemed to be trying to
    > do for me, that I wasn't so sure I wanted, that I discontinued
    > it and figured I'd wait until it has been around for awhile,
    > and see what other people find.
    >
    > You know, XP with SP1 ain't exactly broke, from my own usage,
    > and it don't have to be fixed. It's a darn good, tolerant,
    > self-fixing system just as it is.
    >

    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    hi there!
    SP2 is supposed to fix some bugs and holes that XP has in it, as for the
    security measures, there are allot of nasty things on the net that can make a
    mess out of your p.c. or worse if you store personal information on your
    system. i have SP2 on my system and i use norton system works 2004 and norton
    personal fire wall 2004, both programs are user friendly and work well with
    XP. i recomend these to my friends and stress keeping your antivirus and
    windows updated.
    good luck!

    "Matt and Daria Roesch" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
    > and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World there
    > was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious. What
    > is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
    > lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
    > computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
    > had for years.
    > I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to take
    > these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's all
    > a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
    > little easier. Yes?
    > I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer their
    > time and opinions to novices like me!
    > Matt

    A good recommendation for novices is Norton Internet Security. It contains
    the firewall, antivirus, Intrusion detection, ad blocking and privacy
    control all on one CD that are controlled through a common interface. It
    integrates seamlessly with Windows, and does not slow or bog down a properly
    maintained system. It can be set up to update automatically for those of us
    who may not always remember to do it ourselves. And their AV has been the
    best selling AV for several years now. (before anyone asks, I do not work
    for Symantec).

    Bobby.
    "shy_one964" <shyone964@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi there!
    > SP2 is supposed to fix some bugs and holes that XP has in it, as for the
    > security measures, there are allot of nasty things on the net that can
    > make a
    > mess out of your p.c. or worse if you store personal information on your
    > system. i have SP2 on my system and i use norton system works 2004 and
    > norton
    > personal fire wall 2004, both programs are user friendly and work well
    > with
    > XP. i recomend these to my friends and stress keeping your antivirus and
    > windows updated.
    > good luck!
    >
    > "Matt and Daria Roesch" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
    >> and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
    >> there
    >> was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
    >> What
    >> is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
    >> lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
    >> computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
    >> had for years.
    >> I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to
    >> take
    >> these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's
    >> all
    >> a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
    >> little easier. Yes?
    >> I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
    >> their
    >> time and opinions to novices like me!
    >> Matt

    NoNoBadDog! <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com@?.?.invalid> wrote on Fri, 20
    Aug 2004:
    >A good recommendation for novices is Norton Internet Security.

    It rather depends on whether you have loads of RAM and oodles of
    Processor speed. IMNSHO Norton 2004 is a hog of both - and can destroy
    older, and slower systems. I personally paid for a such a version,
    loaded it, ran it, got frustrated by it, then deleted it - and used AVG
    and sygate instead!!

    I wouldn't recommend Norton 2004 to anyone.
    --
    Barry Oakley
    The 'Reply-To' address will be valid for a short time.

    Barry Oakley wrote:
    > NoNoBadDog! <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com@?.?.invalid> wrote on Fri, 20
    > Aug 2004:
    >
    >>A good recommendation for novices is Norton Internet Security.
    >

    > It rather depends on whether you have loads of RAM and oodles of
    > Processor speed. IMNSHO Norton 2004 is a hog of both - and can destroy
    > older, and slower systems. I personally paid for a such a version,
    > loaded it, ran it, got frustrated by it, then deleted it - and used AVG
    > and sygate instead!!
    >
    > I wouldn't recommend Norton 2004 to anyone.
    I'll stick my 2 cents worth in here about Norton System
    Works 2004 ..... it can develop bugs, and when it does,
    they are absolutely impossible to remove, and the whole
    package is not impossible to uninstall......only so
    complicated that it is a disease better off lived with
    than obviated. And everybody knows how impossible it
    is to get useful help from Symantec.

    --
    William B. Lurie

Windows XP