xp sp2 hub-bub

August 11, 2004 6:04:04 AM

Hi all,

I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World there
was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious. What
is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
had for years.
I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to take
these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's all
a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
little easier. Yes?
I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer their
time and opinions to novices like me!
Matt

More about : sp2 hub bub

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 6:04:05 AM

While security in SP2 is greatly improved with the addition of a Pop-up
blocker for IE and improved firewall settings it is completely inacurrate to
state that it will help in any way with adware\spyware. The simple truth of
the matter is that these sorts of problems are as a direct result of the
overwhelming drive for advertiements and monitary gain. For that there is no
cure. I have SP2 and the one thing I note is improved system performance.
There seems to be no other change from SP2 RC2.
August 11, 2004 6:04:05 AM

Think of it like this:

Years ago, Lead rich petrol was a good way to run your
car, nobody thought of the inherrant problems this would
cause like polution, now, we know that unleaded petrol is
not only better for the environment, but also better for
your car. As a Novitiate to Driving, I am left wondering
Why I should bother filling up my car with unleaded
(which in some cases is more expensive) when leaded is
just fine for me!

SP2 for WinXP will be just fine, all of us will just have
to get used to it, YES, it is going to be scarry, because
some apps may not function as before, but thats all part
of learning and growing! 20 Years ago you didn't stay up
all night sweatting about whether your Email account was
full of spam! so just be patient, read reviews, and keep
posting questions!

Related resources
August 11, 2004 4:24:14 PM

It's not because XP is "so lacking", the fact is that ad/spyware, viruses
etc. has increased dramatically in volume over the last several years &
naturally they are written to target the most extensively used OS, i.e. XP.

--

johnf

> Hi all,
>
> I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest
> products, and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent
> PC World there was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and
> frankly I'm curious. What is the great interest in it in this
> newsgroup? Is the current version so lacking that the optimism is high
> for SP2? Having just purchased a new computer with XP Home, we are
> thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we had for years.
> I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to
> take these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware.
> It's all a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all
> straight a little easier. Yes?
> I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
> their time and opinions to novices like me!
> Matt
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 4:24:15 PM

XP is not lacking... it has too many open gates for vendors, advertisers,
data miners etc. MS could have made it tighter and more secure in the
beginning; now, MS has to pay the extra cost so that users don't run away
from IE, MediaPlayer etc.
Michael

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
> It's not because XP is "so lacking", the fact is that ad/spyware, viruses
> etc. has increased dramatically in volume over the last several years &
> naturally they are written to target the most extensively used OS, i.e.
> XP.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest
>> products, and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent
>> PC World there was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and
>> frankly I'm curious. What is the great interest in it in this
>> newsgroup? Is the current version so lacking that the optimism is high
>> for SP2? Having just purchased a new computer with XP Home, we are
>> thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we had for years.
>> I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to
>> take these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware.
>> It's all a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all
>> straight a little easier. Yes?
>> I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
>> their time and opinions to novices like me!
>> Matt

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 4:36:49 PM

"Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 8fSc.2556$wq2.2437@news02.roc.ny...
> Hi all,
>
> I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
> and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
> there
> was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
> What
> is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
> lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
> computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
> had for years.
> I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to take
> these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's
> all
> a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
> little easier. Yes?
> I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
> their
> time and opinions to novices like me!
> Matt

Just see all the information at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...
All your questions are answered there.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 8fSc.2556$wq2.2437@news02.roc.ny...
> Hi all,
>
> I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
> and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
> there
> was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
> What
> is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
> lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
> computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
> had for years.
> I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to take
> these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's
> all
> a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
> little easier. Yes?
> I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
> their
> time and opinions to novices like me!
> Matt

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 4:36:51 PM

Matt and Daria Roesch wrote:
> Thanks Mike.
>

> Just see all the information at

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...
> All your questions are answered there.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
AND: as you can obviously see from all the comments; lots of opinions, pro &
con. People just like to discuss anything new.

--
Gene K
August 11, 2004 5:31:43 PM

"Grant" <geashworth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Think of it like this:
>
> Years ago, Lead rich petrol was a good way to run your
> car, nobody thought of the inherrant problems this would
> cause like polution, now, we know that unleaded petrol is
> not only better for the environment, but also better for
> your car.

That is a HIGHLY debatable statement. Unleaded petrol contains all sorts of
highly carcinogenic (sp?) elements that leaded petrol did not. There are
many eminent scientists who have said that they would rather have the lead
than the nasty chemicals in unleaded petrol. And it is NOT "better for the
car"!
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 6:15:19 PM

"Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 8fSc.2556$wq2.2437@news02.roc.ny...
> Hi all,
>
> I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
> and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
there
> was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
What
> is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
> lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
> computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
> had for years.

From what I've read, Windows is the only system being targeted at the
present. OS/2 from IBM isn't. The latter system is just as vulnerable to
attack, but for lack of interest, it is relatively safe. Same also re: Mac &
Linux... Linux I tried, liking it I'm not.... The pblm with Windows is
Gates & his reputation, and why people are plagueing his system.. Have you
noticed how his company follows the inventive followers....
:) ..

August 17, 2004 7:25:50 PM

Originator wrote:

> "Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o 8fSc.2556$wq2.2437@news02.roc.ny...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
>>and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
>
> there
>
>>was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
>
> What
>
>>is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
>>lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
>>computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
>>had for years.
>

> From what I've read, Windows is the only system being targeted at the
> present. OS/2 from IBM isn't. The latter system is just as vulnerable to
> attack, but for lack of interest, it is relatively safe. Same also re: Mac &
> Linux... Linux I tried, liking it I'm not.... The pblm with Windows is
> Gates & his reputation, and why people are plagueing his system.. Have you
> noticed how his company follows the inventive followers....
> :) ..
>

> Maybe I read it wrong, but I found a place to download SP2
and looked at the defaults that it seemed to be trying to
do for me, that I wasn't so sure I wanted, that I discontinued
it and figured I'd wait until it has been around for awhile,
and see what other people find.

You know, XP with SP1 ain't exactly broke, from my own usage,
and it don't have to be fixed. It's a darn good, tolerant,
self-fixing system just as it is.

--
William B. Lurie
August 17, 2004 8:28:20 PM

So far it's worked great for my clients machines. There are some problems
with the DEP (data execution prevention) in SP2 but they are minor from what
I hear...and not really Microsoft's fault (imagine that).
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Originator wrote:
>
>> "Matt and Daria Roesch" <mjrdjr2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 8fSc.2556$wq2.2437@news02.roc.ny...
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
>>>and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
>>
>> there
>>
>>>was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
>>
>> What
>>
>>>is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
>>>lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
>>>computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
>>>had for years.
>>

>> From what I've read, Windows is the only system being targeted at the
>> present. OS/2 from IBM isn't. The latter system is just as vulnerable to
>> attack, but for lack of interest, it is relatively safe. Same also re:
>> Mac &
>> Linux... Linux I tried, liking it I'm not.... The pblm with Windows
>> is
>> Gates & his reputation, and why people are plagueing his system.. Have
>> you
>> noticed how his company follows the inventive followers....
>> :) ..
>>

>> Maybe I read it wrong, but I found a place to download SP2
> and looked at the defaults that it seemed to be trying to
> do for me, that I wasn't so sure I wanted, that I discontinued
> it and figured I'd wait until it has been around for awhile,
> and see what other people find.
>
> You know, XP with SP1 ain't exactly broke, from my own usage,
> and it don't have to be fixed. It's a darn good, tolerant,
> self-fixing system just as it is.
>

> --
> William B. Lurie
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:01:01 PM

hi there!
SP2 is supposed to fix some bugs and holes that XP has in it, as for the
security measures, there are allot of nasty things on the net that can make a
mess out of your p.c. or worse if you store personal information on your
system. i have SP2 on my system and i use norton system works 2004 and norton
personal fire wall 2004, both programs are user friendly and work well with
XP. i recomend these to my friends and stress keeping your antivirus and
windows updated.
good luck!

"Matt and Daria Roesch" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
> and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World there
> was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious. What
> is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
> lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
> computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
> had for years.
> I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to take
> these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's all
> a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
> little easier. Yes?
> I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer their
> time and opinions to novices like me!
> Matt

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:01:02 PM

A good recommendation for novices is Norton Internet Security. It contains
the firewall, antivirus, Intrusion detection, ad blocking and privacy
control all on one CD that are controlled through a common interface. It
integrates seamlessly with Windows, and does not slow or bog down a properly
maintained system. It can be set up to update automatically for those of us
who may not always remember to do it ourselves. And their AV has been the
best selling AV for several years now. (before anyone asks, I do not work
for Symantec).

Bobby.
"shy_one964" <shyone964@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi there!
> SP2 is supposed to fix some bugs and holes that XP has in it, as for the
> security measures, there are allot of nasty things on the net that can
> make a
> mess out of your p.c. or worse if you store personal information on your
> system. i have SP2 on my system and i use norton system works 2004 and
> norton
> personal fire wall 2004, both programs are user friendly and work well
> with
> XP. i recomend these to my friends and stress keeping your antivirus and
> windows updated.
> good luck!
>
> "Matt and Daria Roesch" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am a novice computer user who enjoys reading about the latest products,
>> and tries to keep up on stuff in general. In the most recent PC World
>> there
>> was an article about the much anticipated SP2 and frankly I'm curious.
>> What
>> is the great interest in it in this newsgroup? Is the current version so
>> lacking that the optimism is high for SP2? Having just purchased a new
>> computer with XP Home, we are thrilled with the changes from 98SE that we
>> had for years.
>> I also feel overwhelmed with all the security measures that I need to
>> take
>> these days. Firewall, pop up blocker, antivirus, spybot, adaware. It's
>> all
>> a bit much! From what I've read, SP2 will make keeping it all straight a
>> little easier. Yes?
>> I am really enjoying this group. Thanks to the many experts who offer
>> their
>> time and opinions to novices like me!
>> Matt

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 4:11:36 AM

NoNoBadDog! <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com@?.?.invalid> wrote on Fri, 20
Aug 2004:
>A good recommendation for novices is Norton Internet Security.

It rather depends on whether you have loads of RAM and oodles of
Processor speed. IMNSHO Norton 2004 is a hog of both - and can destroy
older, and slower systems. I personally paid for a such a version,
loaded it, ran it, got frustrated by it, then deleted it - and used AVG
and sygate instead!!

I wouldn't recommend Norton 2004 to anyone.
--
Barry Oakley
The 'Reply-To' address will be valid for a short time.

Barry Oakley wrote:
> NoNoBadDog! <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com@?.?.invalid> wrote on Fri, 20
> Aug 2004:
>
>>A good recommendation for novices is Norton Internet Security.
>

> It rather depends on whether you have loads of RAM and oodles of
> Processor speed. IMNSHO Norton 2004 is a hog of both - and can destroy
> older, and slower systems. I personally paid for a such a version,
> loaded it, ran it, got frustrated by it, then deleted it - and used AVG
> and sygate instead!!
>
> I wouldn't recommend Norton 2004 to anyone.
I'll stick my 2 cents worth in here about Norton System
Works 2004 ..... it can develop bugs, and when it does,
they are absolutely impossible to remove, and the whole
package is not impossible to uninstall......only so
complicated that it is a disease better off lived with
than obviated. And everybody knows how impossible it
is to get useful help from Symantec.

--
William B. Lurie
!