Asus SLI with dual 16x is it that much faster

Nicness

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2004
I see that the new Asus SLI board has 2 16X with true 16x instead of the 2 slots running at 8x each. Is it that much faster?

mpjesse

Splendid
I see that the new Asus SLI board has 2 16X with true 16x instead of the 2 slots running at 8x each. Is it that much faster?

It would be nice if someone did some benchmarks though. Still, I think the guy who posted above me is right. I doubt they'll be any real performance gains going from 8x to 16x. And for the price of that board... no thanks. :)

mpjesse

mpjesse

Splendid
Here's another review of that board:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx

There's a very very small performance gain, about 5% when compared to the Asus A8N SLI Deluxe. And that's only with 4x FSAA. Anandtech recorded an overall gain of about 4.4%.

The problem with anandtech's review is they reviewed the A8N32 SLI Deluxe against a DFI board with 8x PCI-E slots. Why is that a problem? Different board manufacturers do different crap to their BIOS's and boards. If they had pitted the A8N32 SLI against the A8N-SLI Deluxe, I think we would have gotten an more accurate depiction of performance.

All in all, there's no question that the Asus A8N32 SLI is the fastest board for SLI gaming

But an extra 5% in performance is not worth the extra $100 in my opinion.

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Didn't anandtech say they got like a 20% boost in performance with only a single card though?

But seriously, in reality, there really isn't a difference, there will only start to be a difference at like 2048x1536 with 4xAA and other sh!t like that.

-dragonx