New Printer (w/network card)

binger

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2004

Hi all,

I currently have wireless router with 1 desktop, and 1 laptop w/wireless
card.

Current printer is connected to desktop, and must be on, when I do printer
sharing to print from laptop through deksotop.

I'm looking to buy a new printer, with a network card in it. I basically
want a printer that is NOT tied to having the desktop being on.

This may be a simple question...but...is that all I need is a printer
w/network card in it? No need to get router with print server? In which
case I just connect the new printer to the router with the standard network
cables, and voila!

Please advise and/or any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks!

"Binger" <manonmssn2001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I currently have wireless router with 1 desktop, and 1 laptop w/wireless
> card.
>
> Current printer is connected to desktop, and must be on, when I do printer
> sharing to print from laptop through deksotop.
>
> I'm looking to buy a new printer, with a network card in it. I basically
> want a printer that is NOT tied to having the desktop being on.
>
> This may be a simple question...but...is that all I need is a printer
> w/network card in it? No need to get router with print server? In which
> case I just connect the new printer to the router with the standard network
> cables, and voila!

What type of printer do you need? How important is photo quality? Do you want
automatic two-sided printing? The DeskJet 6127 and DeskJet 6840 have networking
built in. See:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-83026.html
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-385457.html

Personally I like the all-in-one units. The PSC 2500, 2600, and 2700 series
as well as the Officejet 7300 and 7400 series all offer networking built in, as
well as the capability to print, copy, scan and fax. See:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-238444-410635.html

Regards,