Server slow down

Every few days network access to our NT 4.0 SP6a server (fully patched)
slows down.

All accesses to the server are very slow (slow logins, slow network drive
access, etc.). The %CPU of the server is normal however, and access at
the server console does not seem too degraded. The network is not
saturated as other servers on it can be accessed OK. The issue is fixed by
simply rebooting the server but appears to come back after a few days.

Nothing of help shows up in the event or application logs we run AV tools
and
the server and clients are clean.

Any ideas of what else I should look for?

Thx
--
Allan Williams
5 answers Last reply

    Have a look at the RAM usage not just CPU. Sounds like you may have a memory
    leak that is cleared after the reboot.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > Every few days network access to our NT 4.0 SP6a server (fully patched)
    > slows down.
    >
    > All accesses to the server are very slow (slow logins, slow network drive
    > access, etc.). The %CPU of the server is normal however, and access at
    > the server console does not seem too degraded. The network is not
    > saturated as other servers on it can be accessed OK. The issue is fixed
    by
    > simply rebooting the server but appears to come back after a few days.
    >
    > Nothing of help shows up in the event or application logs we run AV tools
    > and
    > the server and clients are clean.
    >
    > Any ideas of what else I should look for?
    >
    > Thx
    > --
    > Allan Williams

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks - I will monitor that over the next few days. We do run Exchange and
    it tends to grab all the memory it can (supposedly it will give it back if
    asked) so it may be hard to tell if we have a leak.

    --
    Allan Williams

    "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have a look at the RAM usage not just CPU. Sounds like you may have a
    memory
    > leak that is cleared after the reboot.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > Every few days network access to our NT 4.0 SP6a server (fully patched)
    > > slows down.
    > >
    > > All accesses to the server are very slow (slow logins, slow network
    drive
    > > access, etc.). The %CPU of the server is normal however, and access at
    > > the server console does not seem too degraded. The network is not
    > > saturated as other servers on it can be accessed OK. The issue is fixed
    > by
    > > simply rebooting the server but appears to come back after a few days.
    > >
    > > Nothing of help shows up in the event or application logs we run AV
    tools
    > > and
    > > the server and clients are clean.
    > >
    > > Any ideas of what else I should look for?
    > >
    > > Thx
    > > --
    > > Allan Williams

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Are you running Symantec for Exchange? There is a known memory leak in one
    of the modules. There is an update from Symantec for it. I would look at
    what processes are running and how much ram they use. Then check every few
    hours to see if any of them grow. Exchange will take a lot but it shouldn't
    to the point of the system slowing down.

    --

    > Thanks - I will monitor that over the next few days. We do run Exchange
    and
    > it tends to grab all the memory it can (supposedly it will give it back if
    > asked) so it may be hard to tell if we have a leak.
    >
    > --
    > Allan Williams
    >

    > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    > > Have a look at the RAM usage not just CPU. Sounds like you may have a
    > memory
    > > leak that is cleared after the reboot.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Scott Harding
    > > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    > >
    > > "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > > Every few days network access to our NT 4.0 SP6a server (fully
    patched)
    > > > slows down.
    > > >
    > > > All accesses to the server are very slow (slow logins, slow network
    > drive
    > > > access, etc.). The %CPU of the server is normal however, and access
    at
    > > > the server console does not seem too degraded. The network is not
    > > > saturated as other servers on it can be accessed OK. The issue is
    fixed
    > > by
    > > > simply rebooting the server but appears to come back after a few days.
    > > >
    > > > Nothing of help shows up in the event or application logs we run AV
    > tools
    > > > and
    > > > the server and clients are clean.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas of what else I should look for?
    > > >
    > > > Thx
    > > > --
    > > > Allan Williams

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    No, we use CA ETrust. The server was running fine for months. The only
    things I did recently were to install some new MS patches:

    MS04-011
    MS04-012
    MS04-014 (JET)

    I took off MS04-011and MS04-012 (MS04-014 is not removable) but didn't see a
    change. I'm wondering if this MS04-014 JET 4.0 patch has an issue but
    removing it is not easy.

    --

    > Are you running Symantec for Exchange? There is a known memory leak in one
    > of the modules. There is an update from Symantec for it. I would look at
    > what processes are running and how much ram they use. Then check every few
    > hours to see if any of them grow. Exchange will take a lot but it
    shouldn't
    > to the point of the system slowing down.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >

    > "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks - I will monitor that over the next few days. We do run Exchange
    > and
    > > it tends to grab all the memory it can (supposedly it will give it back
    if
    > > asked) so it may be hard to tell if we have a leak.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Allan Williams
    > >

    > > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > > Have a look at the RAM usage not just CPU. Sounds like you may have a
    > > memory
    > > > leak that is cleared after the reboot.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Scott Harding
    > > > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > > > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    > > >
    > > > "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > patched)

    > > drive
    > at
    > fixed
    > > > by

    > > tools

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Came in late tonight and checked the memory - no leaks from any processes
    that I can see. Server started acting strange again for me -- server
    console slowed right down. Client access was OK though (a little slow).

    What's strange is the %CPU was 99% idle and memory was OK but it was taking
    minutes to do basic things like open windows, etc. on the server console.
    Nothing in the logs either. Tried the following with no effect:
    - unplugged the internet cable
    - unplugged the LAN cable
    - logout and then login

    Reboot fixed it (as usual).

    Not sure what else to do other than try to remove MS04-014 manually (its not
    removable for some stupid reason) since that is the last patch I did before
    the problems started to happen.
    Or are there other utilities I can run to try and track where the CPU usage
    is going?
    The issue seems to happen every 7 days or so.

    --
    Allan Williams

    > No, we use CA ETrust. The server was running fine for months. The only
    > things I did recently were to install some new MS patches:
    >
    > MS04-011
    > MS04-012
    > MS04-014 (JET)
    >
    > I took off MS04-011and MS04-012 (MS04-014 is not removable) but didn't see
    > change. I'm wondering if this MS04-014 JET 4.0 patch has an issue but
    > removing it is not easy.
    >
    > --
    > Allan Williams
    >

    > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    > > Are you running Symantec for Exchange? There is a known memory leak in
    one
    > > of the modules. There is an update from Symantec for it. I would look at
    > > what processes are running and how much ram they use. Then check every
    few
    > > hours to see if any of them grow. Exchange will take a lot but it
    > shouldn't
    > > to the point of the system slowing down.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Scott Harding
    > > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    > >

    > > "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks - I will monitor that over the next few days. We do run
    Exchange
    > > and
    > > > it tends to grab all the memory it can (supposedly it will give it
    back
    > if
    > > > asked) so it may be hard to tell if we have a leak.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Allan Williams
    > > >

    > > > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
    > > message
    > > > memory

    > > patched)

    > > > drive
    > > at
    > > fixed
    > days.

    AV
    > > > tools

Network Access Microsoft Servers Windows