Server slow down

Every few days network access to our NT 4.0 SP6a server (fully patched)
slows down.

All accesses to the server are very slow (slow logins, slow network drive
access, etc.). The %CPU of the server is normal however, and access at
the server console does not seem too degraded. The network is not
saturated as other servers on it can be accessed OK. The issue is fixed by
simply rebooting the server but appears to come back after a few days.

Nothing of help shows up in the event or application logs we run AV tools
and
the server and clients are clean.

Any ideas of what else I should look for?

Thx
--
Allan Williams

Have a look at the RAM usage not just CPU. Sounds like you may have a memory
leak that is cleared after the reboot.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> Every few days network access to our NT 4.0 SP6a server (fully patched)
> slows down.
>
> All accesses to the server are very slow (slow logins, slow network drive
> access, etc.). The %CPU of the server is normal however, and access at
> the server console does not seem too degraded. The network is not
> saturated as other servers on it can be accessed OK. The issue is fixed
by
> simply rebooting the server but appears to come back after a few days.
>
> Nothing of help shows up in the event or application logs we run AV tools
> and
> the server and clients are clean.
>
> Any ideas of what else I should look for?
>
> Thx
> --
> Allan Williams

Thanks - I will monitor that over the next few days. We do run Exchange and
it tends to grab all the memory it can (supposedly it will give it back if
asked) so it may be hard to tell if we have a leak.

--
Allan Williams

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have a look at the RAM usage not just CPU. Sounds like you may have a
memory
> leak that is cleared after the reboot.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> > Every few days network access to our NT 4.0 SP6a server (fully patched)
> > slows down.
> >
> > All accesses to the server are very slow (slow logins, slow network
drive
> > access, etc.). The %CPU of the server is normal however, and access at
> > the server console does not seem too degraded. The network is not
> > saturated as other servers on it can be accessed OK. The issue is fixed
> by
> > simply rebooting the server but appears to come back after a few days.
> >
> > Nothing of help shows up in the event or application logs we run AV
tools
> > and
> > the server and clients are clean.
> >
> > Any ideas of what else I should look for?
> >
> > Thx
> > --
> > Allan Williams

Are you running Symantec for Exchange? There is a known memory leak in one
of the modules. There is an update from Symantec for it. I would look at
what processes are running and how much ram they use. Then check every few
hours to see if any of them grow. Exchange will take a lot but it shouldn't
to the point of the system slowing down.

--

> Thanks - I will monitor that over the next few days. We do run Exchange
and
> it tends to grab all the memory it can (supposedly it will give it back if
> asked) so it may be hard to tell if we have a leak.
>
> --
> Allan Williams
>

> "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
message
> > Have a look at the RAM usage not just CPU. Sounds like you may have a
> memory
> > leak that is cleared after the reboot.
> >
> > --
> > Scott Harding
> > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> >
> > "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> > > Every few days network access to our NT 4.0 SP6a server (fully
patched)
> > > slows down.
> > >
> > > All accesses to the server are very slow (slow logins, slow network
> drive
> > > access, etc.). The %CPU of the server is normal however, and access
at
> > > the server console does not seem too degraded. The network is not
> > > saturated as other servers on it can be accessed OK. The issue is
fixed
> > by
> > > simply rebooting the server but appears to come back after a few days.
> > >
> > > Nothing of help shows up in the event or application logs we run AV
> tools
> > > and
> > > the server and clients are clean.
> > >
> > > Any ideas of what else I should look for?
> > >
> > > Thx
> > > --
> > > Allan Williams

No, we use CA ETrust. The server was running fine for months. The only
things I did recently were to install some new MS patches:

MS04-011
MS04-012
MS04-014 (JET)

I took off MS04-011and MS04-012 (MS04-014 is not removable) but didn't see a
change. I'm wondering if this MS04-014 JET 4.0 patch has an issue but
removing it is not easy.

--

> Are you running Symantec for Exchange? There is a known memory leak in one
> of the modules. There is an update from Symantec for it. I would look at
> what processes are running and how much ram they use. Then check every few
> hours to see if any of them grow. Exchange will take a lot but it
shouldn't
> to the point of the system slowing down.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>

> "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks - I will monitor that over the next few days. We do run Exchange
> and
> > it tends to grab all the memory it can (supposedly it will give it back
if
> > asked) so it may be hard to tell if we have a leak.
> >
> > --
> > Allan Williams
> >

> > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
> > > Have a look at the RAM usage not just CPU. Sounds like you may have a
> > memory
> > > leak that is cleared after the reboot.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Scott Harding
> > > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> > > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> > >
> > > "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> patched)

> > drive
> at
> fixed
> > > by

> > tools

Came in late tonight and checked the memory - no leaks from any processes
that I can see. Server started acting strange again for me -- server
console slowed right down. Client access was OK though (a little slow).

What's strange is the %CPU was 99% idle and memory was OK but it was taking
minutes to do basic things like open windows, etc. on the server console.
Nothing in the logs either. Tried the following with no effect:
- unplugged the internet cable
- unplugged the LAN cable
- logout and then login

Reboot fixed it (as usual).

Not sure what else to do other than try to remove MS04-014 manually (its not
removable for some stupid reason) since that is the last patch I did before
the problems started to happen.
Or are there other utilities I can run to try and track where the CPU usage
is going?
The issue seems to happen every 7 days or so.

--
Allan Williams