Wireless/Wired Sniffing Security

I was reading an article about the different forms of wireless network
security. In the article it briefly mentioned that wired networks with access
points could be unsecure. Could somone further explain this? I have my
desktop wired to my wireless router which has WPA security activated. Can
someone using a sniffer see traffic WIRED to the router?
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless wired sniffing security

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:08:02 -0700, kman214 wrote:

    > I was reading an article about the different forms of wireless network
    > security. In the article it briefly mentioned that wired networks with access
    > points could be unsecure. Could somone further explain this? I have my
    > desktop wired to my wireless router which has WPA security activated. Can
    > someone using a sniffer see traffic WIRED to the router?

    Traffic originating on a wired device, and going to another wired device? I
    don't think so; except for broadcast and multicast packets. Traffic
    originating on a wired device, and going to a wireless device? Of course!

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    If the information does not go out to a wired device. As sometimes I do not
    have any wireless devices on the router. I was really referring to
    information that passes through the router over the wires does not have any
    reason to go over the air and goes out to the internet. Again Wired
    Computer------Router w/no wireless computers-----Internet. Is data that takes
    that router able to be sniffed. Thanks for your replies.

    "N. Miller" wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:08:02 -0700, kman214 wrote:
    >
    > > I was reading an article about the different forms of wireless network
    > > security. In the article it briefly mentioned that wired networks with access
    > > points could be unsecure. Could somone further explain this? I have my
    > > desktop wired to my wireless router which has WPA security activated. Can
    > > someone using a sniffer see traffic WIRED to the router?
    >
    > Traffic originating on a wired device, and going to another wired device? I
    > don't think so; except for broadcast and multicast packets. Traffic
    > originating on a wired device, and going to a wireless device? Of course!
    >
    > --
    > Norman
    > ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
    > ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    > ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

    Hi

    If some one can log wirelessly to your Wireless Router and establish a valid
    connection he would be able to use the Internet connection, and if your Hard
    Drive is wide open for sharing he would be able to have a filed day with
    your file. But he would not be able to sniff you Internet Traffic.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "kman214" <kman214@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If the information does not go out to a wired device. As sometimes I do
    not
    > have any wireless devices on the router. I was really referring to
    > information that passes through the router over the wires does not have
    any
    > reason to go over the air and goes out to the internet. Again Wired
    > Computer------Router w/no wireless computers-----Internet. Is data that
    takes
    > that router able to be sniffed. Thanks for your replies.
    >

    > "N. Miller" wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:08:02 -0700, kman214 wrote:
    > >
    > > > I was reading an article about the different forms of wireless network
    > > > security. In the article it briefly mentioned that wired networks with
    access
    > > > points could be unsecure. Could somone further explain this? I have my
    > > > desktop wired to my wireless router which has WPA security activated.
    Can
    > > > someone using a sniffer see traffic WIRED to the router?
    > >
    > > Traffic originating on a wired device, and going to another wired
    device? I
    > > don't think so; except for broadcast and multicast packets. Traffic
    > > originating on a wired device, and going to a wireless device? Of
    course!

    > > --
    > > Norman
    > > ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
    > > ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    > > ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

  4. "...if your Hard Drive is wide open for sharing he would be able to have a filed day with your file. But he would not be able to sniff you Internet Traffic."

    If the person was looking to snif, access to your hard drive would give him/her a brutally simplistic way to do it. insert script, install executable. Trojan, keylogger, or any other malware, and the sniffer's got all they need.

Wireless Security Wireless Networking