Help with 9600 Reboot Issue

Ackerman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Greetings!

I have just purchased a Radeon 9600 Pro and I am not sure if it is defective or if I have incorrectly configured it.

The card appears stable in windows. However, when playing any game that requires 3D hardware acceleration, the machine will reboot. I've tried several different driver versions (4.12/5.9/5.11/Omega) to no avail.

Has anyone had a similiar experience? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Ackerman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Thanks for the replies!
It could be your power supply. Can you tell us more about your system?
Also, what motherboard do you have?
Asus P4S533
Celeron 1.7Ghz (P4 2.5Ghz on order)
1x512MB PC2700
80Gb ATA133 7200RPM
Radeon 9600Pro AGP
built-in Sound
built-in LAN
CD/RW

350W psu 3.3V@26A / 5V@35A / 12V@16A

Overall, it is a pretty basic system.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Mobo supports AGP4X, so it's probably not that...

Hmm ...

Did you completely uninstall your old graphics drivers and revert to generic VGA ones before installing the new drivers?

Maybe try playing with BIOS settings like AGP fast writes, AGP speed, etc.

Ackerman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Mobo supports AGP4X, so it's probably not that...

Hmm ...

Did you completely uninstall your old graphics drivers and revert to generic VGA ones before installing the new drivers?

Maybe try playing with BIOS settings like AGP fast writes, AGP speed, etc.
I disabled the AGP Fast Writes, per someone elses recommendation. It did not have any effect. By AGP Speed, I assume you are talking about that 1x/4x setting. I can try it on 1x and see if that makes a difference...

brb

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yep, that be what I meant.

I suppose you could also try playing with the aperature size, though I highly doubt that's it.

Hmm ... how about updating the motherboard drivers?

And I don't think it has one, but might as well check, is there a plug on your video card for an extra power cable?

Ackerman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
First off, I really want to thank you for all of your suggestions and ideas!

Yep, that be what I meant. [in regards AGP Speed]

I suppose you could also try playing with the aperature size, though I highly doubt that's it.
Setting the BIOS AGP speed to 1x resulted in all kinds of DirectX errors. I finally went into dxdiag and discovered that Direct3D get disabled as a result of dropping the AGP speed.

As for the aperature size, I had previously tried it at 64Mb and 128Mb. I could find no difference in either setting. For the 1x test, I lowered the aperature back down to 64Mb.

Hmm ... how about updating the motherboard drivers?
You know, I'm glad you brought this up. I've been out to Asus' website looking for drivers on multiple occassions. They've got drivers for all of the integrated components: sound, LAN, USB, etc. But they do not have any drivers labeled as for the chipset or motherboard. When folks say to update the chipset or motherboard drivers, which drivers are they refering to?

And I don't think it has one, but might as well check, is there a plug on your video card for an extra power cable?
Nope, no extra power plugs.

Not sure what chipset your board has, but from the model number it looks like SiS. If that's true, you can go to their website and download chipset drivers there (USB, AGP, IDE etc.). Intel, VIA, nVidia, SiS, ATi, ALi all make or made chipsets for motherboards.

Ackerman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Not sure what chipset your board has, but from the model number it looks like SiS. If that's true, you can go to their website and download chipset drivers there (USB, AGP, IDE etc.). Intel, VIA, nVidia, SiS, ATi, ALi all make or made chipsets for motherboards.
I thought we had it licked this time!!! I went out to SiS' website and downloaded all of the drivers they had ...

After a installing and rebooting, was playing for almost an hour. I'm thinking its finally fixed when all of a suddon ... the machine reboots.

Well, I've definitely got current motherboard drivers, now. The ATI drivers are current. Any thoughts on where I should look next?

Ackerman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
At what point do I give up on getting this card to work and RMA it back to NewEgg?

If its a defective card, it doesn't matter what I try, it ain't gonna work!

If its a config issue, then taking two weeks to send it back and getting a replacement is just wasted time. Because the config issue will still exist.

So, what do you folks think? It works fine in Windows, but reboots the machine if I try to play a 3D game. Short of sacrificing a chicken on the keyboard, I've tried everything that I and you good folks can think of to try.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've run out of ideas. :?

My only thought left is heat, but that seems unlikely. If you've got a house fan lying around, try leaving the case open and aiming it at ye olde graphics carde. I doubt it'll work, but as I've said, no ideas left in me.

Maybe it's just time to return the blasted thing. Surely your average Joe would have by now.