Migration of AD Groups from Win 2K to Win NT

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Hello,
We are trying to migrate users/groups across two Windows domains
in 2 different forests using the Microsoft ADMT. From the
documentation, it is clear tht migration of AD users/groups using ADMT
is possible only from Win NT to Win 2K or between two Windows 2K
domains. We are trying to migrate users from a Win 2K domain to a Win
NT domain which are in 2 different forests. Is this possible ? If so,
any ideas on how we can go about achieving the same ?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Thanks and Regards,
Vikas Haridas
1 answer Last reply
More about migration groups
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    <snip>
    No way that I'm aware of. NT 4.0 has no concept of SID History, you
    cannot tamper with the SID itself also. You'll have to recreate the
    users and groups and reset permissions on resources. The best you can do
    is export the users/groups in a text file and import them with a batch
    file using the 'net user' ('net group') and 'for' commands.

    HTH
    --
    Cheers,
    Marin Marinov

Domain Microsoft Active Directory Windows