Migration of AD Groups from Win 2K to Win NT

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 19, 2004 12:00:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Hello,
We are trying to migrate users/groups across two Windows domains
in 2 different forests using the Microsoft ADMT. From the
documentation, it is clear tht migration of AD users/groups using ADMT
is possible only from Win NT to Win 2K or between two Windows 2K
domains. We are trying to migrate users from a Win 2K domain to a Win
NT domain which are in 2 different forests. Is this possible ? If so,
any ideas on how we can go about achieving the same ?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Thanks and Regards,
Vikas Haridas
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 4:21:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

<snip>
No way that I'm aware of. NT 4.0 has no concept of SID History, you
cannot tamper with the SID itself also. You'll have to recreate the
users and groups and reset permissions on resources. The best you can do
is export the users/groups in a text file and import them with a batch
file using the 'net user' ('net group') and 'for' commands.

HTH
--
Cheers,
Marin Marinov