Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Building

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2005 7:00:31 PM

Hey guys I had one quick question....

I dont know much about computers but my dad really is and I want to build him a custom one for x-mas. Now I know a little but what I do need to know is what all goes in a cpu, from mother board to hard drive. If you could make a list of everthing I would need I would greatly appreciate it, thanks! JOEY
Mod Edit: This thread was moved to this section ... more appropriate here.

More about : building

November 16, 2005 7:18:57 PM

We have a homebuild section a little further down [/Being a bástard]
November 16, 2005 8:03:26 PM

To tell what the best system will be we need to know at least 2 things: 1) Budget. 2) Use of the computer. Is it just internet surfing and Solitaire? Old games? New games? Video encoding? Photo retouching? Regular business software (Word/Excel)?

Here's the basic parts:

Case
Power supply
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
CD/DVD/CDRW/Burners
Hard Drive
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
speakers

Mike.
Related resources
November 16, 2005 8:25:23 PM

Fishy was right on about parts...could have added a sound card, but modern motherboards (mobos) have good integrated sound.

A good starting point for research are the FAQs at the beginning of the following forums: CPU, Motherboard, PSU and Hard Drive. Feel free to shoot as many questions as you want, but do yourself a favor by educating yourself so you can ask good questions. :wink:
November 16, 2005 8:41:47 PM

Quote:
but do yourself a favor by educating yourself so you can ask good questions. :wink:

There is no such thing as a bad question.....lol

btw, you might want to read a lot of the FAQ's you keep pointing people to. Some are over a year old....in fact i think the OCing AMD chips only talks about socket 754. Which isn't at all helpful today...

Serisouly most of them are old and not helpful.
!