Help recovery....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have XP Home Edition. I tried to apply SP1a but then crash in the process.

When it rebooted, it cannot pass the XP Home Welcome screen.
When I boot it in 'Save Mode', the last command is ...Drivers\Mup.sys, it
stays there about
15-20seconds and then it restarted back again.

I tried to use the CD for recovery but it did not show that there are any XP
installation?
Perhaps I corrupted a file or files that identified it as the OS. Can you
guys tell me of what files could be that I might corrupt them? Thanks

All I want is that using the OS recovery and keep all the Apps structure
intact. In fact, there are only one user on the machine beside the
Administrator.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about help recovery

    Here are a couple of steps that you can try to resolve the
    issue :
    1. Try to restart the computer in the recovery console
    using the XP Recovery Disk.
    2. use the command chkdsk /p
    3. followed by chkdsk /r

    if there are any problems in the HDD that might be fixed .

    Harry

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    This forum has extensive posts with various solutions, expand to read all messages.
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1047532372

    --
    Mary Sauer MS MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "Sarah Tanembaum" <sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have XP Home Edition. I tried to apply SP1a but then crash in the process.
    >
    > When it rebooted, it cannot pass the XP Home Welcome screen.
    > When I boot it in 'Save Mode', the last command is ...Drivers\Mup.sys, it
    > stays there about
    > 15-20seconds and then it restarted back again.
    >
    > I tried to use the CD for recovery but it did not show that there are any XP
    > installation?
    > Perhaps I corrupted a file or files that identified it as the OS. Can you
    > guys tell me of what files could be that I might corrupt them? Thanks
    >
    > All I want is that using the OS recovery and keep all the Apps structure
    > intact. In fact, there are only one user on the machine beside the
    > Administrator.
    >
    > Thanks

Data Recovery Microsoft Windows XP