Digging up some facts

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
I need to dig up a few articles or facts about ram, more importantly that too much can be as bad as not enough. I believe that too much wouldn't be bad, but would infact be a waste. Just looking for some articles or info on the matter.

EX. I want to build a new gaming computer with 1gb of 2-2-2-5 ram, and people have told me it would be better to have 2gb of 3-4-3-8 ram.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
WOW... Try the links at the bottom of the memory FAQ at the top of the section. Maybe there's something there. I haven't seen any benchmarks or anything.

I tried to read a paper about that effect a few years ago, and I don't recall much of it (I tended to skim when it got to the 'gory details' because that wasn't what I was reading it for), but basically the CPU's internal memory tables (which have specific names I don't remember) are bigger with 2GB and it takes the cpu longer to mange it, but that's probably :roll: way over-simplifying it. The performance loss is probably not significant but its there. If you're using a program that can benefit from more than 1GB then 2GB is probably a good idea.

Mike.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Let me break this down for you in two ways....

1) Part of the reason 1GB ram is better is because 2GB kits can't have 2-2-2-5 timings. They just can't....they have inflated timings. And timings matter....not a bunch but 2-2-2-5 system should be about 5-10% faster then the same exact ram setup with 3-4-3-8.

2)2GB kits will not OC to the same levels....there are many 1GB kits that can get 300+ fsb, no 2GB kits that i know of. Also there are a lot fo 1GB kits that can do 2-2-2-5 timings upto 260FSB....2GB kits can't get the cas2 timings period let alont 260fsb with those timings.

some programs need more memory....but if you are OCing and playing games you do not need 2GB. If you use video editing a lot, or photoshop as job...then maybe.....but for games, espeically if you are going to OC....you need a 1GB kit of cas2 ram.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Actually, TechReport just ran an article about memory timings a short while ago that pretty much showed the effect that memory timings have is highly dependant on the applicaions you're running. If I had seen it when I was putting my system togehter, and BF2 had been out a month longer, I would have sprung for 2 GB rather than 1GB.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Thats a great article but it overlooks the two things i said.....

1, the 2GB kits dont OC as high....

Take a 1GB kit and OC your cpu to 2.8Ghz and your ram at 280FSB, and then OC a 2GB kit...you wont get that same 2.8Ghz you would get like 2.6Ghz....2GB of ram isn't going to make up for 200Mhz of cpu speed.

Check this out.....http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2369

Read the whole review....the last page of the performance shows that the highest possible 1:1 with the VX is DDR538, and its the lowest of all the RAM tested....but the VX is at the very top of 95% of the tests...why? must be the timings...there is RAM here that is clocked at DDR636 what still can't compete with the VX in most cases....

timings do matter when you get above stock speeds and especially when you OC, because getting to a 269FSB is easier then getting to a 318FSB.....and if the 269 performs better overall....then why even bother OCing to higher speeds? more heat?