Help a noob with AFD!

Hello everyone

I'm new to the FS series, having just purchased FS2004. So far I'm
thoroughly enjoying myself, having flown all the student lessons and
most of the private pilot lessons with no problem. However, I have yet
to learn a lot about navigation.

VORs are no problem and GPS...well, that beast can wait. Right now I
don't really get AFD. The learning centre has a nice article on it but
since it's been apparently written for real pilots I'm not quite sure
how to apply it to the game.

Last night I was approaching an airport with an NDB (did I get that
right?) and I tried to tune into it with my AFD equipment. Looking at
the map I noted the frequency, and dialled it into the AFD section of my
radio stack. The AFD light on top of the stack lit up automatically
when I confirmed the frequency. However, the needle on my AFD display
did nothing, and I couldn't hear the morse code identifier. Any ideas
on what I did wrong or what I didn't do right?

By the way, I flew right over the airport so I don't think being out of
range was a factor. Oh, and while I'm at it, why would I need to turn
the AFD card?

Thanks very much in advance,
Huw

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:36:02 GMT, Huw Roberts <f@ke.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone
snip

>By the way, I flew right over the airport so I don't think being out of
>range was a factor. Oh, and while I'm at it, why would I need to turn
>the AFD card?

If you set your ADF card to your actual heading you can then read off an exact
bearing to the NDB you are tuned to. Its a manual RMI otherwise known as a RBI.

You use it when you want to fly an exact heading to or from an NDB.

Nobby

Nobby Bates wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:36:02 GMT, Huw Roberts <f@ke.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello everyone
>
> snip
>

>>By the way, I flew right over the airport so I don't think being out of
>>range was a factor. Oh, and while I'm at it, why would I need to turn
>>the AFD card?
>>

> If you set your ADF card to your actual heading you can then read off an exact
> bearing to the NDB you are tuned to. Its a manual RMI otherwise known as a RBI.
>
> You use it when you want to fly an exact heading to or from an NDB.
>
> Nobby

Heh, dunno why I didn't think of that myself. Thanks Nobby!

Huw

dallas

"Huw Roberts"
> Any ideas
> on what I did wrong or what I didn't do right?

Sounds like you did everything right. :-/

Look behind the dashboard and make sure one of the leads didn't come loose
from the back of the ADF.

..... just kidding

Dallas

crash

Dallas wrote:

> Look behind the dashboard

I say; autos have dashboards (fascia in some circles), aeroplanes have
instrument panels....

[sniff]

d:->))

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:40:10 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Dallas wrote:
>>
>> Look behind the dashboard
>
>I say; autos have dashboards (fascia in some circles), aeroplanes have
>instrument panels....
>
>[sniff]

what would the top edge and surface of the instrument panel
be called? .. the panel cap? Got stumped on this one before.

-G

"Gregory Abbey" <gabbey.maps@bkwds.dynanet.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:40:10 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Dallas wrote:
>>>
>>> Look behind the dashboard
>>
>>I say; autos have dashboards (fascia in some circles), aeroplanes have
>>instrument panels....
>>
>>[sniff]
>>

> what would the top edge and surface of the instrument panel
> be called? .. the panel cap? Got stumped on this one before.
>

> -G

Glareshield

;O)

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL / Sim Pilot Too
Chandler, AZ

dallas

"CRaSH"
> I say; autos have dashboards (fascia in some circles), aeroplanes have
> instrument panels....

Well he did say he was a noob.. I didn't want to get to technical. :)

Ya know for a noob, Huw knows more than some of our regulars.

Dallas

Hi Huw
Depending on the aircraft perhaps there is a VOR/ADF switch at the bottom of
the RMI gauge that needs to be switched over

Don

donbutts wrote:
> Hi Huw
> Depending on the aircraft perhaps there is a VOR/ADF switch at the bottom of
> the RMI gauge that needs to be switched over
>
> Don

OK thanks Don, I'll check that tonight.

Huw

Dallas wrote:
> "CRaSH"
>
>>I say; autos have dashboards (fascia in some circles), aeroplanes have
>>instrument panels....
>

> Well he did say he was a noob.. I didn't want to get to technical. :)
>
> Ya know for a noob, Huw knows more than some of our regulars.
>

> Dallas

Heh, aw shucks! ;)

Well, now I know a little bit more! I have absolutely no idea what I
did wrong last night, but I just spent the last 20 minutes playing
around with NDBs and flew my first perfect approach using only my ADF
receiver and my trusty old eyeballs!

One of my better landings, too, as it happens.

Huw

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:21:00 -0500, Gregory Abbey wrote:
> what would the top edge and surface of the instrument panel
> be called? .. the panel cap? Got stumped on this one before.

Glareshield, or "eyebrow."

Bill

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:21:00 -0500, Gregory Abbey wrote:
>> what would the top edge and surface of the instrument panel
>> be called? .. the panel cap? Got stumped on this one before.
>
> Glareshield, or "eyebrow."
>
> Bill

AFAIK, "eyebrow" refers to the areas of the cockpit/panel that are at your
high 10 and 2 o'clock...

The Eyebrow Windows of, say, a B17 are the windows through which you look if
you tilt up and to the left/right (in FS9, CTL+7 and CTL+9 respectively.)

"Coaming" is a term I've seen used, but this usually refers to the top edge
of the cockpit tub to which the canopy comes down and locks in fighter jets.

Jay B

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bill Leaming wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:21:00 -0500, Gregory Abbey wrote:
>
>>what would the top edge and surface of the instrument panel
>>be called? .. the panel cap? Got stumped on this one before.
>

> Glareshield, or "eyebrow."
>
> Bill

We glued Velcro to the top and on the butt of my observers M16 and
secured the weapon there. A funny event, cruising low and fast we saw a
big white flag on top of a bunker in south Iraq. As I turned toward them
my observer reached to the top of the dash and brought his camera back
to take pictures, leaving the M-16 there. We circled, got the grid
coordinates and continued north.

If white flags were dangerous I'd be very dead.

Another event. We over flew a large POW facility set up near one of our
checkpoints. It was heavy gage chain link with barbed wire on top. The
first two days we overflew the checkpoint we could see the MP's in the
towers and some with dogs walking the perimeter. The 3d day. The gate
was open and there were no guards at all. There was no reason. These
Iraq soldiers were perfectly happy with a cot and 3 meals a day.

Another time I made an urgent run to a forward hospital where some drugs
were needed. I walked in to the main hospital tent and didn't notice
until I turned to walk out that the beds were full and each one had an
Iraq soldier laying there and I had a 38 cal strapped on, but never for
once felt anxiety about one of them jumping up to take my weapon. There
were very happy to spend the days in bed.

That was Desert Storm. An intense few days which does not at all
compare to the problems our soldiers are facing there now.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

crash

Dallas wrote:
> "Bill Leaming"
>> Glareshield, or "eyebrow."
>
> Or... "place to put your beer"

Marine swivel drink holders work good too... d:->))