Netgear WG511T

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 13, 2005 1:58:31 AM

I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card
but whenever I put all the settings in, I get this error message:

The supplicant support has not been installed correctly. You need to run
setup again to fix this problem. If instead you continue, 8.02.x and WPA
will be disabled.

It's been reinstalled several times!! What is the supplicant support?

I click OK on the message box but the little icon in the system tray goes
from green to red continuously. The Setup Wizard sees it, connects at
108MBPs but loses it and searches all the channels again, finds it again etc
etc.

Im using Win98SE on a P233 Laptop. Antique I know but it should still
work!! I'm using the lastest drivers from Netgear and the Router, a DG834GT
is using the latest firmware.

Many thanks in advance.

Peter Geddes

--

All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2005

More about : netgear wg511t

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:38:03 AM

"Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:42fd0d5e$0$13702$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card but whenever I put all the settings in, I get this
> error message:
>
> The supplicant support has not been installed correctly. You need to run setup again to fix this problem. If instead you
> continue, 8.02.x and WPA will be disabled.
>
> It's been reinstalled several times!! What is the supplicant support?

As can be seen from the error message - supplicant is something related
to WPA and 802.1x. You need this bit working to be able to
connect to the internet.
Then probably you haven't install it, or something other went wrong.
The vendor tech support is your friend.

> Im using Win98SE on a P233 Laptop. Antique I know but it should still work!!
Hmm. Iif you think so, then maybe.
Computers are just like cars - the older they are,the less is fun...

--PA
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:38:04 AM

I've just sent another email to Netgear's support department!!

The laptop is old, but it's reliable. Even on Win 98!!

Thanks

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> "Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card
>> but whenever I put all the settings in, I get this error message:
>>
>> The supplicant support has not been installed correctly. You need to run
>> setup again to fix this problem. If instead you continue, 8.02.x and WPA
>> will be disabled.
>>
>> It's been reinstalled several times!! What is the supplicant support?
>
> As can be seen from the error message - supplicant is something related
> to WPA and 802.1x. You need this bit working to be able to
> connect to the internet.
> Then probably you haven't install it, or something other went wrong.
> The vendor tech support is your friend.
>
>> Im using Win98SE on a P233 Laptop. Antique I know but it should still
>> work!!
> Hmm. Iif you think so, then maybe.
> Computers are just like cars - the older they are,the less is fun...
>
> --PA

August 24, 2005 7:38:42 AM

Peter Geddes wrote:

> I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card
> but whenever I put all the settings in, I get this error message:
>
> The supplicant support has not been installed correctly. You need to run
> setup again to fix this problem. If instead you continue, 8.02.x and WPA
> will be disabled.
>
> It's been reinstalled several times!! What is the supplicant support?
>
> I click OK on the message box but the little icon in the system tray goes
> from green to red continuously. The Setup Wizard sees it, connects at
> 108MBPs but loses it and searches all the channels again, finds it again etc
> etc.
>
> Im using Win98SE on a P233 Laptop. Antique I know but it should still
> work!! I'm using the lastest drivers from Netgear and the Router, a DG834GT
> is using the latest firmware.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Peter Geddes

I would probably try to find a card that lists 98SE as a supported OS
and if this card states that it supports 98SE I'd go to a different card.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:08:37 PM

Peter Geddes wrote:

> I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card

I've tried to use a WG111 (USB-Device) with Win98SE, WinME, Win2k and WinXP.
With WinXP it works well, iff I use the WinXP support for wireless devices.
With Win2k, WinME and Win98SE the Netgear smart connection tool shows a
connection but the DHCP response from the AP is ignored. So I get no
network to the AP (even if I setup a IP address, the default gateway and
the DNS, these Windows versions tried to use the cable device).

And the Netgear smart connection tool eats all resources at Win98SE and
WinME. At the Netgear support pages this is a known bug, but I couldn't
find a solution. All downloadable versions of the software has the same
bug.

I'd never buy a Netgear wireless device again.

Markus
!