HP Pavillion Windows 7 64 Bit install issue

macspaniel

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hello,
I keep getting a restart message upon booting while trying to install a legitimate copy of windows 7 64 bit on an HP Pavillion a6130n. This is a clean install on a reformatted drive. I have added memory and thats about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is your HP actually starting to load Windows, or does the restart happen before that process begins?

Also, did you verify compatibility of the memory before you installed it? Laptops can be VERY picky regarding the memory they will work with.

daniel_san

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Not sure that it atually matters but it's a desk top. One of the selling points was upgradability to windows 64 bit. The restart happens before anything begins loading. The memory is compatible. I installed memory from crucial. Additional memory is detected in 32 bit vista computer info. I did also try to remove the memory and boot. Still no dice. I got the disks from MS. I can d/l it as well. I thought about d/l ing and seeing about using a flash drive for install.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Daniel_san you are correct, sorry for my brain cramp on desktop vs. laptop. It shouldn't matter with a desktop as long as you have compatible memory (you did it right).

So, you insert the DVD and attempt to boot directly from it. Is it rebooting before you get to the "Press any key" message? If so, that is a hardware issue. If it happens after you press any key, we have a Win 7 issue.

Or, are you trying to start the process after booting to Vista?

If you dl the ISO, burn a copy at the lowest possible speed and then verify afterward.

daniel_san

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
it goes from the bios access sreen to the loading from cd / dvd screen... after it thinks for a bit it says restart. I had a sucessful install with a system builder disc on a new drive. After having an issue I tried to do a repair. I got the same msg inserting the disc. It was a system builder disc and there is no support for those (i didn't know this) and reloaded vista. Upon reloading vista I performed all the uprades for drivers etc. I was wondering if it was the optical drive but i figured it wouldn't pick the 32 bit disk or original hp / vista if that was the case.

daniel_san

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
i found a free disk utility online and killed the HD. There were two partitions on the drive not showing in disk manager so i wasn't actually getting a "clean" install. i specifically remember deleting them. anyway ... all is well. I wasted two weekends on this so dbl happiness this weekend for lost time. hd 5670 video card next. thanks for your guys' input. frag on wayne.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Glad you resolved. Have fun!