Sign in with
Your question

GF6600 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2005 10:55:09 AM

I have an older computer but thought I'd buy a better graphics card so I can play some of the newer games reasonably well. So I just bought an ASUS N6600 256MB (GeForce 6600) AGP 8x.

My motherboard is a bit old so it can only handle AGP 4x, but I did my best on researching and making sure everything would work anyways. And it does... kind of. The gfx card works fine in windows. In 3D games it works on some (Civ4 works great) in other games textures get corrupt, everything goes red or other strange things. Sometimes the graphics freeze but sound keeps going. Doom3 crashes at the id software movie in the beginning.

First I thought the card got too hot so I tried underclocking it but that didn't work. I have a 340W power supply and I thought that perhaps was too low so I tried disconnecting one of my HDDs. Did not work.

System:
ASUS N6600 256MB AGP 8x @ 4x (latest forceware drivers)
ASUS A7V-133 motherboard (using the recommended drivers from VIA)
Athlon XP 1600+
768 MB RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Does it just not work with my motherboard or does anyone else have an idea of what I can do? Should I return the card?

Thanks

More about : gf6600 problem

November 18, 2005 10:18:49 AM

Ok, so right now I'm thinking my power supply is to blame. 340W with a GF6600 (own power connector), 2 HDDs, soundcard, dvd, lots of fans... is that too low? I have been having a problem where sometimes my computer wont start when cold booting it, and you have to press reset to get it going. That's supposedly a power supply problem as well...

Any ideas?
December 2, 2005 7:29:56 AM

Interesting problem indeed...

(Bumping thread incase anyone would care to make a comment. :wink:) 
Related resources
December 5, 2005 7:40:27 AM

:!: UPDATE :!:
If I disconnect everything not nessesary (one of my HDDs, DVD, Floppy drive, 3 fans, one USB device) and underclock my processor and memory every thing seems to work. Doom 3 runs fine, no crashes or graphical errors. If I reconnect everything and leave the processor underclocked, it won't work, so it's not a problem with the processor getting too hot or something. The processor is usually around 50-55 degrees celsius.

This plus the other startup problem I described in my previous post makes me think the problem is that the PSU is too weak.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
December 6, 2005 6:17:02 AM

Yay.. good call there guys.

This is surely good to know! :wink:

Btw Ansen, I'd like to know how that card is doing on your setup.
Do you experience any significant slowdowns due to the 4X AGP
bottleneck? My condiguration is pretty much like yours and I just
recently ordered a 6600GT so I'm quite curious to know how well
it performs... Have any benchmark scores you'd like to share?

I'd appreciate if you would mail them to me...
December 16, 2005 12:14:56 PM

Well, I finally bought a new PSU. An Antec 480W. Didn't help. So I'm giving up and going to buy a new motherboard.
December 16, 2005 12:54:36 PM

When you update your drivers, be sure to uninstall the previous ones. If you did not do this for either your motherboard chipset or graphics drivers, redownload the package, uninstall the drivers, then reinstall. Your powersupply is not the issue (as I was running something more powerful than that on a no-name 350 watt without problems.)
December 16, 2005 8:50:21 PM

I had THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM on my ECS mobo!!! The exact problem!!! Same vid card too! I had an antec 550Watt psu so I knew that was ok. I think it's an issue with nvidia never resolved because nobody worried about AGP 4X. New mobo will work fine, but I'd get one with pci-x as well for future cards...if u want a good cheap one try ASROCK 939 DUAL SATA mobo.
December 20, 2005 2:53:37 PM

Got same problem, wanted to upgrade my "old" pc with new graphics card, even bought a new Socket A motherboard to install zalman cooler to make it more quite.
current config:
amd 2200 (socket A)
asus a7V600-x motherboard (8x agp)
asus n6600 graphics card (used to have a ati 9600pro)
1GB ram
also bought new UPS: Antec NEO480
windows xp sp1

I especially bought same brand of motherboard and graphics card to eliminate compatibility problems :-)
But got no real improvement from n6600, in 3D games it messes up some of the textures and when i try to download more recent drivers i get serious trouble using dvd shrink (reboots when i start the program). it doesn't do that with the driver that comes on cd though???

error message:
// Watchdog Event Log File
//
LogType: Watchdog
Created: 2005-12-17 10:25:34
TimeZone: -60 - Romance Standard Time
WindowsVersion: XP
EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver
//
// The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This
// usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
// driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your
// display device vendor for any driver updates.

I tried several things, but nothing seems to work, got fed up with it and just trying to live with it, but not pleased about the card (/brand) at all!
February 14, 2006 12:16:31 AM

guys.... i'm having problems with my GF6600... I recently bought it and when i run any games the system freezes... I thought it could be overheating but it's not.... what could it be?
February 15, 2006 8:34:35 PM

Quote:
Yup. if you have an OC'd cpu and you put a gpu on it that draws too much on the 12V line....your f*cked.

look for a new psu that has 30+ A on the 12V line....like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N8216817104954

That is your answer for computers having problems booting. I've got two 6600GTs and two computers that they did not work in. New power supplies for both with plenty of amps on the 12V rail and they work like a charm.

If you are able to boot into windows fine and only have problems in 3D, then your card is likely overheating. Check the card temp in the nvidia properties (if its available). If not, download Rivatuner and use that to monitor temps. If you temps are abnormaly high under load with stock timings (80C+) exchange the card. If you can't exchange it, buy a logisys cooler. It comes with RAM heatsinks and it will keep your card plenty cool even if it was overheating before. Also get some Arctic Silver thermal paste, that will also help.

If you are overclocking, buy a logisys cooler and arctic silver. You need it. Do not go crazy on the RAM timing because there is no way at all to monitor the RAM temperature and if you overdo it, you will burn it up without even knowing, even with heat sinks.

check this thread on the nvidia forums for more detailed info: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1029
February 15, 2006 8:46:06 PM

Quote:
guys.... i'm having problems with my GF6600... I recently bought it and when i run any games the system freezes... I thought it could be overheating but it's not.... what could it be?

Make sure you've got the latest forceware drivers installed. It could be that you just have a bad card, consider sending it back for a replacement. check the thread linked above for more possible solutions for your problem.
February 15, 2006 8:48:33 PM

Quote:

I especially bought same brand of motherboard and graphics card to eliminate compatibility problems :-)
But got no real improvement from n6600, in 3D games it messes up some of the textures and when i try to download more recent drivers i get serious trouble using dvd shrink (reboots when i start the program). it doesn't do that with the driver that comes on cd though???

number one cause of artifacting when you've got updated drivers is an overheating card. if it's not overheating, then its a bad card and you should send it back.
!