Same processor, drastically different 3dmark results

jrobo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
I have an intel 630 processor in two different motherboards. In 3dmark 2005, the cpu performance in one is 4200, in the other, it is 1700. Both boards are using ddr 400 memory. I think one chipset is an 915P and the other is a 915G. Does anyone have an explanation for this much of a difference.

Thanks

jrobo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
I am not using built in graphics. In fact, I used the same video card, a 6600gt pci express. I have not tried both processors in both motherboards, however. But, I don't really see the need for that.

did you disable the onboard graphics?

It might default to it if you did not.

I have an intel 630 processor in two different motherboards. In 3dmark 2005, the cpu performance in one is 4200, in the other, it is 1700. Both boards are using ddr 400 memory. I think one chipset is an 915P and the other is a 915G. Does anyone have an explanation for this much of a difference.

Thanks

jrobo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
I am embarrassed to say that the reason was not having the cpu fan fully inserted into all four holes. I had no previous experience with socket 775 before, so I did not know this was a possibility.

Resetting the cpu fan solved all problems.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar with that socket type either. It might have been over heating and throttling down i bet if resetting the cpu fan is what fixed it.

I am embarrassed to say that the reason was not having the cpu fan fully inserted into all four holes. I had no previous experience with socket 775 before, so I did not know this was a possibility.

Resetting the cpu fan solved all problems.

Thanks for the help.