Removing an unauthorized network

Hi everyone.
I just moved to a new apartment and someone is connected to my wireless
network. they have a WEP key and they get excellecnt signal while mine is
always low. How can I remove them and prevent anyone else from connecting
through me.

Please help! & thanks in advance. :)

Malke

Tlane6 wrote:

> Hi everyone.
> I just moved to a new apartment and someone is connected to my
> wireless network. they have a WEP key and they get excellecnt signal
> while mine is always low. How can I remove them and prevent anyone
> else from connecting through me.
>
> Please help! & thanks in advance. :)

Change your WEP key or use better encryption with WPA if your hardware
supports it. Another thing to do is use MAC filtering on your wireless
router, only allowing your own computer's MAC to use the network. Refer
to your router's manual for how to do that.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
In addition to Malke suggestions: http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Tlane6 wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone.
> > I just moved to a new apartment and someone is connected to my
> > wireless network. they have a WEP key and they get excellecnt signal
> > while mine is always low. How can I remove them and prevent anyone
> > else from connecting through me.
> >
> > Please help! & thanks in advance. :)
>
> Change your WEP key or use better encryption with WPA if your hardware
> supports it. Another thing to do is use MAC filtering on your wireless
> router, only allowing your own computer's MAC to use the network. Refer
> to your router's manual for how to do that.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thank you Malke & Jack I did set up the WPA-PSK with a Network Key, but for
some reason when that network is up and running with an Excellent status, I
still can't get online, and the "hacker" is always on as excellent. I will
try your other suggestions with the MAC address filtering, and check out the
website Jack suggested.
Again thank you both & be blessed!