Failure to start up desktop

Ian

I am the only user on my desktop machine running Windows
XP (not professional). After installing an application,
the system called for a restart (as expected) but, on
restart, fails to bring up the desktop.
I get the coice of users as normal and I choose the oly
one there is.
The system says 'loading personal settings' for a while
then plays the little startup jingle
then displays a blank blue screen and goes no further.
I can bring up the task manager using ctrl-alt-del and can
run some applications if I browse them from there.
I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no joy
Any suggestions please.

Hi Ian,

Not exactly the answer you want, but often when this happens it indicates
corruption in the user profile. The simple solution is to logon to the
system as administrator, then create a new profile for yourself. Copy the
user data over from the old profile, then reboot and logon as the new
profile. If you are satisfied that everything is where you want it, then you
can proceed to remove the old profile.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ian" <Mariancars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am the only user on my desktop machine running Windows
> XP (not professional). After installing an application,
> the system called for a restart (as expected) but, on
> restart, fails to bring up the desktop.
> I get the coice of users as normal and I choose the oly
> one there is.
> The system says 'loading personal settings' for a while
> then plays the little startup jingle
> then displays a blank blue screen and goes no further.
> I can bring up the task manager using ctrl-alt-del and can
> run some applications if I browse them from there.
> I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no joy
> Any suggestions please.

jp

Hi Ian:

Restart your PC and press F8, choose "Last know good configuration"... this
will rollback any driver installation that could be preventing your windows
to start...

Cheers
JP

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Not exactly the answer you want, but often when this happens it indicates
> corruption in the user profile. The simple solution is to logon to the
> system as administrator, then create a new profile for yourself. Copy the
> user data over from the old profile, then reboot and logon as the new
> profile. If you are satisfied that everything is where you want it, then you
> can proceed to remove the old profile.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ian" <Mariancars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am the only user on my desktop machine running Windows
> > XP (not professional). After installing an application,
> > the system called for a restart (as expected) but, on
> > restart, fails to bring up the desktop.
> > I get the coice of users as normal and I choose the oly
> > one there is.
> > The system says 'loading personal settings' for a while
> > then plays the little startup jingle
> > then displays a blank blue screen and goes no further.
> > I can bring up the task manager using ctrl-alt-del and can
> > run some applications if I browse them from there.
> > I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no joy
> > Any suggestions please.

From the original post: "I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no
joy"

I would interpret that to mean that your solution has already been tried to
no avail. The description of the problem is that of a corrupt profile, and
generally the only solution for most users is the one I offered.