Failure to start up desktop

I am the only user on my desktop machine running Windows
XP (not professional). After installing an application,
the system called for a restart (as expected) but, on
restart, fails to bring up the desktop.
I get the coice of users as normal and I choose the oly
one there is.
The system says 'loading personal settings' for a while
then plays the little startup jingle
then displays a blank blue screen and goes no further.
I can bring up the task manager using ctrl-alt-del and can
run some applications if I browse them from there.
I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no joy
Any suggestions please.
3 answers Last reply
More about failure start desktop

    Hi Ian,

    Not exactly the answer you want, but often when this happens it indicates
    corruption in the user profile. The simple solution is to logon to the
    system as administrator, then create a new profile for yourself. Copy the
    user data over from the old profile, then reboot and logon as the new
    profile. If you are satisfied that everything is where you want it, then you
    can proceed to remove the old profile.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ian" <Mariancars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am the only user on my desktop machine running Windows
    > XP (not professional). After installing an application,
    > the system called for a restart (as expected) but, on
    > restart, fails to bring up the desktop.
    > I get the coice of users as normal and I choose the oly
    > one there is.
    > The system says 'loading personal settings' for a while
    > then plays the little startup jingle
    > then displays a blank blue screen and goes no further.
    > I can bring up the task manager using ctrl-alt-del and can
    > run some applications if I browse them from there.
    > I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no joy
    > Any suggestions please.

    Hi Ian:

    Restart your PC and press F8, choose "Last know good configuration"... this
    will rollback any driver installation that could be preventing your windows
    to start...

    Cheers
    JP

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Ian,
    >
    > Not exactly the answer you want, but often when this happens it indicates
    > corruption in the user profile. The simple solution is to logon to the
    > system as administrator, then create a new profile for yourself. Copy the
    > user data over from the old profile, then reboot and logon as the new
    > profile. If you are satisfied that everything is where you want it, then you
    > can proceed to remove the old profile.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Ian" <Mariancars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I am the only user on my desktop machine running Windows
    > > XP (not professional). After installing an application,
    > > the system called for a restart (as expected) but, on
    > > restart, fails to bring up the desktop.
    > > I get the coice of users as normal and I choose the oly
    > > one there is.
    > > The system says 'loading personal settings' for a while
    > > then plays the little startup jingle
    > > then displays a blank blue screen and goes no further.
    > > I can bring up the task manager using ctrl-alt-del and can
    > > run some applications if I browse them from there.
    > > I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no joy
    > > Any suggestions please.

    From the original post: "I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no
    joy"

    I would interpret that to mean that your solution has already been tried to
    no avail. The description of the problem is that of a corrupt profile, and
    generally the only solution for most users is the one I offered.

    --

    "JP" <JP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Ian:
    >
    > Restart your PC and press F8, choose "Last know good configuration"...
    > this
    > will rollback any driver installation that could be preventing your
    > windows
    > to start...
    >
    > Cheers
    > JP
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Ian,
    >>
    >> Not exactly the answer you want, but often when this happens it indicates
    >> corruption in the user profile. The simple solution is to logon to the
    >> system as administrator, then create a new profile for yourself. Copy the
    >> user data over from the old profile, then reboot and logon as the new
    >> profile. If you are satisfied that everything is where you want it, then
    >> you
    >> can proceed to remove the old profile.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Ian" <Mariancars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am the only user on my desktop machine running Windows
    >> > XP (not professional). After installing an application,
    >> > the system called for a restart (as expected) but, on
    >> > restart, fails to bring up the desktop.
    >> > I get the coice of users as normal and I choose the oly
    >> > one there is.
    >> > The system says 'loading personal settings' for a while
    >> > then plays the little startup jingle
    >> > then displays a blank blue screen and goes no further.
    >> > I can bring up the task manager using ctrl-alt-del and can
    >> > run some applications if I browse them from there.
    >> > I have tried relaoding to last good setup but no joy
    >> > Any suggestions please.

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP