Upgrading Windows NT 2000? or XP?

laura

I want to upgrade my system from Windows NT to either XP
or 2000 so that I can use the USB port and run a digital
camera. I don't know if both of them run on the same
platform and if it would be possible to do either one. I
heard that XP can run slow if you don't have a fast enough
processor so I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade
to 2000? Also how would this effect the files that I have
on my computer now? I know upgrading may effect some of
my programs but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose all
my files.

To be on the safer side you can copy all your required files to a seperate
drive & than upgrade windows NT workstation to either windows XP or windows
2000 Professional bellow are few of the links which could be of help to you
to decide which one to go to

Top 10 Reasons for Moving to Windows XP Professional

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/top10.asp

Top 10 Reasons to Move to Windows 2000

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/whyupgrade/defa
ult.asp

Kutts (Kuttappa K A)

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I understand that XP is not recommended on anything less than a PIII
processor (although a PII does work) so that may be a consideration.
As a previous poster has stated, it would be safest to back up all
your files beforehand.

"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1220c01c44270$1d3af530$a001280a@phx.gbl>...
> I want to upgrade my system from Windows NT to either XP
> or 2000 so that I can use the USB port and run a digital
> camera. I don't know if both of them run on the same
> platform and if it would be possible to do either one. I
> heard that XP can run slow if you don't have a fast enough
> processor so I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade
> to 2000? Also how would this effect the files that I have
> on my computer now? I know upgrading may effect some of
> my programs but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose all
> my files.

Calvin

Hi Laura,

I really can't answer your question on how Win2k or XP is likely to react with
your collection of apps on your PC - however let me address your USB question:

Have you bought a web cam yet?? If not, consider an IONetworks WatchPortV USB
webcam - it has driver support for NT4 - I have one of these devices here, and I
am EXTREMELY happy with the performance and video quality provided.

If you go down this path, you won't need to change operating systems at all !!

Have a look at:

http://www.ionetworks.com/products/environmentalmonitoring/watchportv.jsp

for the details on this product. For benefit of the group - I do not work for,
or have any affiliation with IONetworks, I am merely a very satisfied customer :)

For my thoughts on USB on NT4 have a look at: http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/usb.htm

Calvin.

TRENDING THREADS