Server slowdown but %CPU and memory use OK

Anyone have any ideas what would cause a NT server (fully patched) to slow
down after 5-7 days of runtime?

It happened again last night (with no clients around) where the server
console slowed right down. Just doing basic things like opening explorer
windows, event viewer, or other server applications was taking minutes.
What's strange is the task manager showed the %CPU was mainly 99% idle and
memory usage was OK. Nothing in the logs. Tried the following with no
effect:
- unplugged the internet (DSL) cable
- unplugged the LAN cable
- logout and then login

Reboot fixed it (as usual).

I've checked:
- no memory leaks - still free memory when the issue occurs.
- server runs up to date anti-virus and checks clean.
- verified the RAID-5 array is "optimal"

Or are there other utilities I can run to try and track where the CPU usage
is going?
The issue seems to happen every 7 days or so.

--
Allan Williams

HAGGIS

"Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have any ideas what would cause a NT server (fully patched) to slow
> down after 5-7 days of runtime?
>
> It happened again last night (with no clients around) where the server
> console slowed right down. Just doing basic things like opening explorer
> windows, event viewer, or other server applications was taking minutes.
> What's strange is the task manager showed the %CPU was mainly 99% idle and
> memory usage was OK. Nothing in the logs. Tried the following with no
> effect:
> - unplugged the internet (DSL) cable
> - unplugged the LAN cable
> - logout and then login
>
> Reboot fixed it (as usual).
>
> I've checked:
> - no memory leaks - still free memory when the issue occurs.
> - server runs up to date anti-virus and checks clean.
> - verified the RAID-5 array is "optimal"
>
> Or are there other utilities I can run to try and track where the CPU
usage
> is going?
> The issue seems to happen every 7 days or so.
>
> --
> Allan Williams

do you have a lot of temporary internet files ? do a clean up...

MS Office installed (findfast installed?) kill it

any file cataloging software installed ? disable if not required

> do you have a lot of temporary internet files ? do a clean up...
>
> MS Office installed (findfast installed?) kill it
>
> any file cataloging software installed ? disable if not required

No, this is a server - no office and no surfing at all from this machine.
All temp folders are clean and there is lots of disk space.

--

> > do you have a lot of temporary internet files ? do a clean up...
> >
> > MS Office installed (findfast installed?) kill it
> >
> > any file cataloging software installed ? disable if not required
>
> No, this is a server - no office and no surfing at all from this machine.
> All temp folders are clean and there is lots of disk space.
>
> --
> Allan Williams

any excessive pagefile usage ? (of course you have defragged) :>

(just trying to think of things off the top of my head , I have same OS
running w/SP6 and all updates)

almost sounds like some scheduled task is failing ...weekly antivirus
updates?

if you have just applied SP6-6a , try to re-apply (this has worked for me
for different symtoms)

sounds like you have a good one there ...If i can think of anything else
,I'll post back

Look for a process in Task manager that is using a lot of RAM. This sounds
like a classic memory leak which means that the machine will run for days
and be fine except one day the program/process will be using too much ram
and causing the slowdown even though the system looks as if the ram usage is
ok. What I would do is to look for thrid party processes running and then
write down the memory usage for a couple days and see if anything is
growing. Symantec AV for Exchange has issue if you have that running?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> > > do you have a lot of temporary internet files ? do a clean up...
> > >
> > > MS Office installed (findfast installed?) kill it
> > >
> > > any file cataloging software installed ? disable if not required
> >
> > No, this is a server - no office and no surfing at all from this
machine.
> > All temp folders are clean and there is lots of disk space.
> >
> > --
> > Allan Williams
> >

> any excessive pagefile usage ? (of course you have defragged) :>
>
> (just trying to think of things off the top of my head , I have same OS
> running w/SP6 and all updates)
>
> almost sounds like some scheduled task is failing ...weekly antivirus
> updates?
>
> if you have just applied SP6-6a , try to re-apply (this has worked for me
> for different symtoms)
>
> sounds like you have a good one there ...If i can think of anything else
> ,I'll post back

> any excessive pagefile usage ? (of course you have defragged) :>
>
> (just trying to think of things off the top of my head , I have same OS
> running w/SP6 and all updates)
>
> almost sounds like some scheduled task is failing ...weekly antivirus
> updates?
>
> if you have just applied SP6-6a , try to re-apply (this has worked for me
> for different symtoms)
>
> sounds like you have a good one there ...If i can think of anything else
> ,I'll post back

AV is up to date, doesn't happen on any particular day, just 5-7 days after
a reboot. Pagefile OK, defragged. When the server is in this state the
%CPU is idle and the disks are quiet but it takes minutes to open windows -
console just hangs.

SP6a has been on for years, don't really want to re-apply it because I'd
have to re-apply all the other patches as well (right?).

--
Allan Williams

I already did this last week based on my previous post (which you answered).

I do not see any process that is eating memory other than STORE.EXE
(exchange process which is supposed to consume memory). The commit charge
stays below the physical memory limit and their is no pagefile thrashing
when the system is in this state.

--
Allan Williams