Sign in with
Your question

Newbie here needs pro advice

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2005 4:50:37 PM

Alright ladies I am a newbie installing his new computer for the first time and I have some questions.

Here is what I got so far.

ECS K8 HT2000 Nforce4 A939 motherboard
1g Micron DDR400 Crucial ram
300g drive.

Im confused. The motherboard that I have has certain RAM they recommend. Is this what they only tested? Im concerned my RAM wont work. Also.

I havnt bought the AMD yet, I want to buy the 3000+ 1.8g? Anyone have any experience with this Ntune software? How much can I overclock this cpu? I dont see any jumpers on this mobo that seems to not support OCing.

Any help is appreciated!

Corey

More about : newbie pro advice

November 17, 2005 4:53:55 PM

RAM should work, since you have it, try it...

OC'ng is jumperless and done in BIOS, honey!... :wink:
November 17, 2005 4:57:48 PM

Awesome.

Now as for the AMD. ive owned a 733 for about 5 years (thus why im building) The 733 was the crap back in the day. Im trying to not have to upgrade for quite some time. How long do you expect the 3000 to last me? From Newegg 135.00 seems like a steal.
Related resources
November 17, 2005 4:58:39 PM

Don't use any software to overclock - Go into the BIOS and o/c from there. We have stickies in the overclocking > CPU section to help you btw.
November 17, 2005 5:01:27 PM

rgr that. I will make sure I read on those stickies. And as for the 3000+ lasting me?
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2005 5:16:01 PM

If you're going for OC, then spend the extra $20 and get a 3200+ - better multiplier options.

How long it will last is dependent on the games you play and the settings in the game. I'm still using a 1500+ from a build in 2001....but I don't FPS game with uber res/eye candy.
November 17, 2005 5:38:08 PM

how long it will last u is dependent on what you use the system for. For email + websurfing + homework etc? Umm... a loooong time....

For games? Do you mean, how long will u be able to play min sys specs, or what? or for video and powerhouse apps?

Dual core is here, apps/games will be optimized for it by next fall/winter season. Windows VISTA will take full advantage. That's the future. And then quad cores coming 2007 (1.5 years).

Your RAM will work fine. You just need DDR1 RAM and you have it.

If you want to OC you need to do a lot of research and check out info on RAM timings and how it relates, check reviews on ur mobo, get good cooling, get a good PSU, etc. You could get a very minor OC with anything pretty easily though.

For games video is key. Don't but anything less than a 6800GS 256mb for $215 newegg. But me, I'd get the $310 (after MiR) 7800gt from newegg. I like XFX fastest out of box for both those cards.
November 17, 2005 5:42:31 PM

Yea im a gamer, thats the main reason for me to build a new PC.

As for the ram it is DDr1.

For the video? Its just a PCI Radeon 7000. I know its cheap but I would prefer to get the system up and running before I spend more money.

Im reading the Athlon Melting now.

Thanks guys
November 17, 2005 5:57:26 PM

Don't buy new hardware thinking about the future and how long it will last you. These matters change really fast, especially now, graphic cards are released every 2 months. Try not to buy the best of what's available now.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2005 6:58:09 PM

What's your budget for CPU/Vid card? ...or do you already have the 7000? That vid card is going to give horrible performance in gaming - especially in modern games.
November 17, 2005 7:01:19 PM

Already own it from the previous computer.

As for budget? 200. Spent about 400 already. I planned on using the 200 for the CPU witch I dont have yet.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2005 7:12:06 PM

Spend the ~$150 for the 3200+, SAVE the extra and then limp along until you save enough for a better video card. What types of games do you play? The min that I would get right now is a 6600GT and you can find deals for as little as $120 on one right now.
November 17, 2005 7:14:53 PM

Well whatever games my 733 can handle. Starcraft. Jedi Knight 2,

But Ive been wanting to get into the big tier of gaming.

BF2
BF1942
COD2
Raven Sheild

Games like that.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2005 7:22:24 PM

Your biggest limitation was probably the video card. You won't be able to step up to the next level with decent graphics until you upgrade that video card. What monitor are you using. The best vid card in the world won't help a crappy monitor...
November 17, 2005 7:24:59 PM

Not sure really. Its a Sony and its a 19 LCD
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2005 7:42:02 PM

If you're gaming at native resolution, then I'm not sure how that card is doing more than stuttering on most games! If you're not at native res, then your picture must be crap anyway...

With that size monitor you need to save a little longer and get something closer to a 6800GS for around $200. Heck - in the couple of months between now and when you buy you'll need a newer recommendation! When are you looking at buying the vid card?
November 17, 2005 8:00:46 PM

Quote:
Don't buy new hardware thinking about the future and how long it will last you. These matters change really fast, especially now, graphic cards are released every 2 months. Try not to buy the best of what's available now.

I see where you're coming from but thats bad advice. Always check roadmaps and research the market, there certainly are good times to buy. True you never know whats next but you get a pretty good idea.

That said, of course, never buy the best... unless you like wasting money. I always go for just below the best... the sweet spot...

Yeah, with a 19" monitor.. umm.. native res is 1280 and if you want to play CoD2 at native res (which yes, you do, anything below that looks ugly) with good graphics, well your gonna need a better GPU. A 3200+ cpu will be fine, but the graphics card, NOTHING less than a 6800gs for $200 - I'd go for the 7800gt for $300... I also wouldnt spend anymore than that (around $300 for the 7800gt) on a card as its not worth it.
November 17, 2005 8:12:08 PM

Alright! Awesome.

Right now i'm gonna get the 3500+

As for the Vid card I will keep the Radeon 7000 and then save up for a new card. I will be back and ask for recommendations.

After 2 months of getting this CPU built up and saving various amts of money just to get it up.. You really just want to get it up finally! ;) 
November 17, 2005 9:58:01 PM

Quote:

After 2 months of getting this CPU built up and saving various amts of money just to get it up.. You really just want to get it up finally! ;) 

Yeah.. great.. you're in a hurry...but take the time to download the manual for the board and read it while waiting for your system.. Or you'll end up here asking stupid question and getting flamed..

And by the way... seriously... get the 3000+ 160 gigs HDD and save extra money, dump that radeon 7000, and get something better.. because, the nforce4 board don't run AGP card and even an old t-bird 1GHz would be limited by this video card.

Or, wait until you have the money to upgrade everything, because by the time, other component might become cheaper and you could even get more for your money...
November 18, 2005 1:16:39 AM

you better hope your 19" lcd has a good response time, cause i can tell you personally, an lcd with a high response time is absolutely horrible for gaming, tearing and ghosting up the ass. check out the stats on your monitor, if its higher than 16ms, you might be somewhat dissapointed by how those games look with a new video card, although it wont be like the 15" lcd i had that had a response time of 29ms.
November 18, 2005 4:17:54 AM

Sorry julius, but he said pro advice. You're still a newb, so I'll just let everyone pretend that your advice came from me.
November 18, 2005 4:24:40 AM

Quote:
Sorry julius, but he said pro advice. You're still a newb, so I'll just let everyone pretend that your advice came from me.

:lol: 

Anywho im not sure what he was saying but here are my specs
# Display Panel: 19" color active matrix LCD (TFT)
# Resolution: 1280 x 1024 Maximum
# Contrast Ratio: 700:1
# Brightness (Typical): 300 cd/m²
# Viewing Angle (H/V): 170°/170°
# Cabinet Color: Black
# Dimensions: 16.3" W x 16.1 to 20.5" x 10.9" D
# Video Inputs: Analog RGB, Digital DVI-D

Also ive purchased the AMD 3700+ Any good recommendations for a video card? preferablt PCIE or x16?

I found another $200 but seriously thats all I can afford
November 18, 2005 6:00:10 AM

the screen gets all blury and some parts of it lag behind because your monitor is too slow.
November 18, 2005 6:53:18 AM

Well. total is going to go over, since price is $199, but the iceQs are top notch.
Who would have thought that we'd be getting 12 P-pipes in a sub $200 card?
November 21, 2005 1:15:24 AM

Well the almost final peice of the puzzle has been purchased saturday from Newegg. I ended up getting the AMD 4200+. Of course I cut my budget of a video card way down to crap but i will continue to save up for maybe the X800GTO like endyen said. It so happens my neighbor has the card and hes in love with it and a good recomendation! I 2 day ordered newegg so I will have a follow up within the week soon. Thanks so much for the help.

Corey
November 21, 2005 1:22:40 AM

NewEgg still rocks for me, but ZZF has good stuff to... I used to buy from them when they were PC-Nut, and wish they would have kept the name... but they were sued for using the name somehow...
November 21, 2005 1:30:20 AM

I almost hit TigerDirect with there free UPS Shipping. but they seemed limited on items
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2005 10:24:13 AM

Avoid their rebates like the plague...they avoid paying them likewise.... :evil: 
November 21, 2005 10:44:36 AM

TigerDirect is not in the same class as NewEgg nor ZZF.
But you can find quality deals there also, it is just not the same class of outfit, IMO.
November 22, 2005 8:37:49 PM

dont OC! if you dont know what your doing you will screw something up.. its not worth risking your well earned money unless you know you can do it right.
November 22, 2005 11:57:13 PM

Good advice!! In fact dont ever do anything for the first time, you might screw up. This especially is true of screwing up, if you cant screw up right, you aren't even a good screwer uper.
November 23, 2005 12:11:33 AM

Quote:
Good advice!! In fact dont ever do anything for the first time, you might screw up. This especially is true of screwing up, if you cant screw up right, you aren't even a good screwer uper.

i was trying to make the point that if your new to it there is considerable risk. i first started OCing on old parts i had that i didnt use anymore. part of learning computers is screwing up.. its what makes it interesting!
!