S-Video in Header?

PunterHunter

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Hi All,

New to this forum but not to all things PC..

I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me. I have picked up a rather natty little 7-in-1 card reader which also includs on the face plate an S-Video and Analogue Video in-port. The reader came with a 4-pin connector cable to fit onto (presumabley) a 4-pin header. The card reader is made by Hewlet Packard (if that is significant).

My question is - does anyone know of a Motherboard with this kind of header/ connector on? I don't need to upgrade my current system just yet, but will be doing so at some point next year and if there is a motherboard with this kind of facility etc.. or is this going to be one of those wonderful things that will only work with a particular HP motherboard or dedicated graphics card?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Video input is normally done with a TV tuner card or VIVO graphics card. There are other types of analog video input cards, most are made for the video security industry but Turtle Beach makes one for professional video editing. There are also a few cheaper amature analog Video Input cards which are basically just TV tuner cards with the tuner removed. Many have a blank spot with solder points for the tuner.

Anyway, some input cards or VIVO cards use a four-pin header, ATI used it on their Radeon 8500DV, where it looked like a floppy power header I believe (which is odd, since they also used a floppy power header on later high-end cards for adding extra power)! Oh, and those ATI VIVO and All-In-Wonder cards with the yellow CD-ROM type connector...that's also a video input. On AIW cards, the white mini audio connector is an audio output.

S-Video and Composite are the two standards you're refering to, both are analog.