Please Read: Troubles with Dban

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
okay, my friend recently contracted a bad-a*s virus on his computer, which he decided to remedy by a hdd wipe. he used Dban, a cool sounding lil app he found on the net. familiar with it? well, he wiped it, and now his computer won't turn on. he says that it won't even post, and the monitor automatically goes into sleep mode, from which it cannot be awakened. does anybody have any suggestions, solutions, or similar experiences to share?

p.s. he sez he changed the boot order before using dban, and may have done it wrong, because it won't boot from his windows xp cd.

HeliumHigh

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
If it won't even 'beep' when it starts up (most systems do) like it used to, then you need to flash the bios. You would need to post your motherboard info.

Try unplugging every device, and see if that helps. I doubt it is software wise, if your computer won't even boot up.

I had a problem with a dell monitor that wouldn't come out of sleep mode. It was because I used an icompatable mode or something, but it was fixed. Unfortunately it wasn't my fixing, so I don't know how to fix it. Try it on another monitor atleast.

Hope this helps :)

Never heard of said app - i have a feeling your 'friend' :wink: wiped his OS drive? The PC surely POSTS?

To format a harddrive simply boot into DOS (Bootlable DOS disk) and type "format X:" without the quotes and where X is the drive letter - You don't need fancy apps.

Red_Frog

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
DBaN shouldn't have caused his BIOS to fail, it's simply a drive wiping program like Autoclave. It's also based in Linux, so it wouldn't have been affected by the virus during boot or erasure. If the PC won't POST he has more serious issues than just erasing his hard drive.

As Helium said, he may have to flash his BIOS. If he owns a newer motherboard, like an A8N-SLI Premium, it may have self recovery features. If not, there is still hope but he will have to create a batch file to run the flash utility from removable media (most likely a floppy).

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hey, thanks. I'll use the dos "format" thing, when i build my computer... to avoid this whole ordeal. it really makes no sense and should not have happened... but thanks for the tips. i'll pass the word on. he says that he hooked up his monitor to his mom's laptop, and it worked. i'm still green, so i don't know if that is at all helpful or important, but yeah.

jegan_68

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I know this is a very old post but I had a very similar issue and I was able to find a solution on my own after days of searching. I used DBAN to wipe the drive on an old dell at the office. When I turned the PC off and on after DBAN was complete it wouldn't post. Several reboots later and still the same result.

I took out the CMOS battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back in. Turned the pc on with my fingers crossed and it booted right into the bios!