As heard elsewhere ...

Hi all

A few minutes ago I came across a post entitled "Live ATC
Transmissions" in microsoft.public.simulators.

>On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:53:09 -0600, "Ace Pilot" <acepilot@home.com> wrote:
>>Anybody care to listen to live ATC transmissions from all over the world?
>>
>>Try: www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php

I can barely understand a word that is being said between ATC and the
aircraft but I do find it strangely fascinating nonetheless.

James

James Hodson <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:

> I can barely understand a word that is being said between ATC and the
> aircraft but I do find it strangely fascinating nonetheless.

I am working on adding my local class C airport tower and approach to this
website. I have a scanner, older laptop PC, and a location that is close
to the airport with an "always-on" Internet connection.

The only impediment is that I need to learn the basics of how to capture a
live feed and convert it to a "stream-able" file.

The interesting feature of the LiveATC site is that the site archives the
feeds for up to 10 days so it will be an excellent way to retrieve and hear
our actual ATC communications.

--
Peter

> I can barely understand a word that is being said between ATC and the
> aircraft but I do find it strangely fascinating nonetheless.
>
> James

Strangely fascinating you say? When I first got my PPL I had about 20 hours
solo and decided to go over the pond to fly in America, Fort Lauderdale) for
a week. After two days, I was banned from flying in Florida because there
was no way I could understand a word of what the ATC was saying to me!
I had to have a British born instructor who was 'bilingual' check me out,
and translate before they would let me fly solo again after two lost days. I
was very annoyed at the time, but they were right to do it!

--
Quilljar

dallas

"Quilljar"
> I had to have a British born instructor who was 'bilingual' check me out,

I guess you were up against the barrier of a common language. :)

Dallas

James Hodson wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A few minutes ago I came across a post entitled "Live ATC
> Transmissions" in microsoft.public.simulators.
>

>>On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:53:09 -0600, "Ace Pilot" <acepilot@home.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Anybody care to listen to live ATC transmissions from all over the world?
>>>
>>>Try: www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php
>

> I can barely understand a word that is being said between ATC and the
> aircraft but I do find it strangely fascinating nonetheless.
>
> James

I've been listening to the Boston Tower feed and have heard some amusing
stuff - mostly the pilots and controllers trying to tell each other how
to do their jobs. :D

Huw

Anyone got any idea if there's a site that provides links like this for UK
ATC?

Jimbo.

pr wrote:
> James Hodson <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:

<snip>

> The only impediment is that I need to learn the basics of how to capture a
> live feed and convert it to a "stream-able" file.

Hi James

According to the website, the administrator is willing to help you get
set up. Why not drop him an email explaining your situation, and see
what he says?

Huw

Huw Roberts <f@ke.com> wrote:

> pr wrote:
>> James Hodson <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>
>> The only impediment is that I need to learn the basics of how to capture a
>> live feed and convert it to a "stream-able" file.
>
> Hi James
>
> According to the website, the administrator is willing to help you get
> set up. Why not drop him an email explaining your situation, and see
> what he says?

Peter, not James! ;-)

I did contact the site author and he was very responsive. He worked with
me to help get the appropriate software installed and a test feed sent up
to the server.

We were successful, so I need to do a few things (buy an adaptor for the
scanner, get a better antenna for the scanner, etc) to make the setup
permanent. Thus, I am a day or two away from having this site go live.

--
Peter

pr wrote:

> Peter, not James! ;-)

Oops! Sorry about that! :D

> I did contact the site author and he was very responsive. He worked with
> me to help get the appropriate software installed and a test feed sent up
> to the server.
>
> We were successful, so I need to do a few things (buy an adaptor for the
> scanner, get a better antenna for the scanner, etc) to make the setup
> permanent. Thus, I am a day or two away from having this site go live.

Cool, nice going! You going to have a separate website for it as well
as the link on liveatc.net?

Huw

Huw Roberts <f@ke.com> wrote:

> Cool, nice going! You going to have a separate website for it as well
> as the link on liveatc.net?

At some point, yes. However, my first goal was to get the feed to LiveATC,
since he already has the server components in place.

--
Peter