Using Outlook Express in home network

I've set up my home network between the desktop upstairs and the notebook
downstairs. Both are on Windows XP and file sharing is working great, but how
do I set up the notebook to access my Outlook Express account? I'd like to be
able to get to new and saved e-mails, as well as contacts, but haven't found
a way to do that yet.
3 answers Last reply
More about using outlook express home network

    If you simply want to share a single email account setup eac­h machine to
    leave mail on the server. One client, however, should be configured to act
    as the "mas­ter" and have the ability to remove messages from the server
    after X days. I use this strategy s­o my wife and I can share one email
    account between two XP Pro machines. We do that with Outlook­ 2003, (my
    machine) and Outlook Express (her machine).

    Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. ­Then on one
    computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account, select
    "Properties -­> Advanced", and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on
    the server". DO NOT check the "Remove ­from server after X day(s)" box. On
    the other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the emai­l account,
    select "Properties -> Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of
    messages on ­the server". Check the "Remove from server after X day(s)" box
    and select how many days to leave­ messages on the server. That way all
    computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/­or if the
    messages are actually deleted off of the server.

    As far as the Address Book is concerned you can export one Address Book in
    ..csv (Comma Seperated Variables) format and import the .csv file into the
    other PC/laptop.

    From OE "Help"...

    To export your Address Book contacts to other programs

    You can export your Address Book contacts to other Windows Address Book
    (.wab) files, as well as to Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book, or any
    text (.csv) file.

    To export your Address Book files to another Windows Address Book:

    1.. In Address Book, on the File menu, point to Export, and then click
    Address Book (WAB).
    2.. Locate and select the Windows Address Book file you want to export to,
    and then click Open.
    For all other address book formats:

    1.. In the Address Book, on the File menu, point to Export, and then click
    Other Address Book.
    2.. Click the address book or file type you want to export to, and then
    click Export.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "buffalo-boy" <buffalo-boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've set up my home network between the desktop upstairs and the notebook
    > downstairs. Both are on Windows XP and file sharing is working great, but
    > how
    > do I set up the notebook to access my Outlook Express account? I'd like to
    > be
    > able to get to new and saved e-mails, as well as contacts, but haven't
    > found
    > a way to do that yet.

    Great! My e-mail is up, but I can't get the address book. I've exported the
    addresses via ..csv, but when I import using the import tool I get an Error
    importing to the Address Book message.

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > If you simply want to share a single email account setup eac­h machine to
    > leave mail on the server. One client, however, should be configured to act
    > as the "mas­ter" and have the ability to remove messages from the server
    > after X days. I use this strategy s­o my wife and I can share one email
    > account between two XP Pro machines. We do that with Outlook­ 2003, (my
    > machine) and Outlook Express (her machine).
    >

    > Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. ­Then on one
    > computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account, select
    > "Properties -­> Advanced", and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on
    > the server". DO NOT check the "Remove ­from server after X day(s)" box. On
    > the other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the emai­l account,
    > select "Properties -> Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of
    > messages on ­the server". Check the "Remove from server after X day(s)" box
    > and select how many days to leave­ messages on the server. That way all
    > computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/­or if the
    > messages are actually deleted off of the server.
    >
    > As far as the Address Book is concerned you can export one Address Book in
    > ..csv (Comma Seperated Variables) format and import the .csv file into the
    > other PC/laptop.
    >
    > From OE "Help"...
    >
    > To export your Address Book contacts to other programs
    >
    > You can export your Address Book contacts to other Windows Address Book
    > (.wab) files, as well as to Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book, or any
    > text (.csv) file.
    >
    > To export your Address Book files to another Windows Address Book:
    >
    > 1.. In Address Book, on the File menu, point to Export, and then click
    > Address Book (WAB).
    > 2.. Locate and select the Windows Address Book file you want to export to,
    > and then click Open.
    > For all other address book formats:
    >
    > 1.. In the Address Book, on the File menu, point to Export, and then click
    > Other Address Book.
    > 2.. Click the address book or file type you want to export to, and then
    > click Export.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "buffalo-boy" <buffalo-boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've set up my home network between the desktop upstairs and the notebook
    > > downstairs. Both are on Windows XP and file sharing is working great, but
    > > how
    > > do I set up the notebook to access my Outlook Express account? I'd like to
    > > be
    > > able to get to new and saved e-mails, as well as contacts, but haven't
    > > found
    > > a way to do that yet.

    Maybe a corrupted file? I would post this question to the
    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress news group since
    this is outside the scope of this group.

    Good luck...

    --

> [...]
    >> click
    >> Other Address Book.
    >> 2.. Click the address book or file type you want to export to, and then
    >> click Export.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    >> "buffalo-boy" <buffalo-boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've set up my home network between the desktop upstairs and the
    >> > notebook
    >> > downstairs. Both are on Windows XP and file sharing is working great,
    >> > but
    >> > how
    >> > do I set up the notebook to access my Outlook Express account? I'd like
    >> > be
    >> > able to get to new and saved e-mails, as well as contacts, but haven't

Outlook Express Notebooks Wireless Networking