Determine Wireless Range from AP

winston

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

Hi,

Wondering if anyone here know of how to determine my laptop distance to the
AP(s) nearby?

Regards,
Winston

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

tape measure?

"Winston" <WINSTONLI@miw.com.sg> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone here know of how to determine my laptop distance to
> the AP(s) nearby?
>
> Regards,
> Winston

winston

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

Hi Dave,

I am looking for a software solution :)

"Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> tape measure?
>
> "Winston" <WINSTONLI@miw.com.sg> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wondering if anyone here know of how to determine my laptop distance to
>> the AP(s) nearby?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Winston

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

probably not possible. the delays in the protocols are much longer than the
round trip time of the radio signals themselves so there probably isn't
anything that software could measure that would work.

> Hi Dave,
>
> I am looking for a software solution :)
>

> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> tape measure?
>>
>> "Winston" <WINSTONLI@miw.com.sg> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Wondering if anyone here know of how to determine my laptop distance to
>>> the AP(s) nearby?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Winston

There are some solutions that allow locating
the stations quite accurately.
But they need several APs and maybe even some
additional support from the station netcard driver to receive
precise signal data.

--PA

"Winston" <WINSTONLI@miw.com.sg> wrote in message news:eRPXYPCoFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone here know of how to determine my laptop distance to the AP(s) nearby?
>
> Regards,
> Winston

winston

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice.

> probably not possible. the delays in the protocols are much longer than
> the
> round trip time of the radio signals themselves so there probably isn't
> anything that software could measure that would work.
>
> "Winston" <WINSTONLI@miw.com.sg> wrote in message
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I am looking for a software solution :)
>>

>> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> tape measure?
>>>
>>> "Winston" <WINSTONLI@miw.com.sg> wrote in message

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
1. You know where the AP is.

Get yourself a GPS, stand by the AP and note the coordinates.

Once you have the coordinates you measure with the GPS unit and the software
the distance from other locations.

2. You do not know where the AP is.

Get a very Directional Yagi for your Wireless Laptop and use the
triangulation method,

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> There are some solutions that allow locating
> the stations quite accurately.
> But they need several APs and maybe even some
> additional support from the station netcard driver to receive
> precise signal data.
>
> --PA
>
> "Winston" <WINSTONLI@miw.com.sg> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Wondering if anyone here know of how to determine my laptop distance to
the AP(s) nearby?

> > Regards,
> > Winston

winston

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your advice.

You have any links about the directional yagi and the methods of calculating
the distance using triangulation.

I yet to find a good site that explain and show how triangulation work in
this case.

Thanks again for ur valuable input.

Regards,
Winston