aftermarket ink cartridges

I recently purchased and installed one from Print Pal..but heard that
some of the cheap cartridges don't contain as much ink as the original
ones..since the printer calculates the ink left in the cartridge by the
number of passes the cartridge makes and has no idea of what is actually
left in the cartridge is ther a chance f the ink running out before the
red light comes on allowing the head to dry out and clogging the print
heads..or will I get a warning by the appearance of the print [ ie faded
color ] ? thanx George
2 answers Last reply
More about aftermarket cartridges

    "George B." <geobj@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased and installed one from Print Pal..but heard that
    > some of the cheap cartridges don't contain as much ink as the original
    > ones..since the printer calculates the ink left in the cartridge by the
    > number of passes the cartridge makes and has no idea of what is actually
    > left in the cartridge is ther a chance of the ink running out before the
    > red light comes on allowing the head to dry out and clogging the print
    > heads..or will I get a warning by the appearance of the print [ ie faded
    > color ] ? thanx George

    It may make a difference which printer you have. Some Canon models have an
    optical sensor that get the low on ink indicator close, and then count drops
    from there. That would probably work for your application. A model that only
    counts drops might have a problem with an underfilled cartridge.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Printhead doesn't get clogged because ink is running out. If there
    is no ink there it does not clog anything. Some may say the heater
    may be burnt out. This may be true but it didn't happen to my
    friend's printer. His printer had no color ink for just about a year.
    He continue to print (of course only black appeared on the printout).
    But the day when finally color cartridges were replaced it printed
    colors normally in no time.

    Bob Headrick wrote:
    > "George B." <geobj@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I recently purchased and installed one from Print Pal..but heard that
    >>some of the cheap cartridges don't contain as much ink as the original
    >>ones..since the printer calculates the ink left in the cartridge by the
    >>number of passes the cartridge makes and has no idea of what is actually
    >>left in the cartridge is ther a chance of the ink running out before the
    >>red light comes on allowing the head to dry out and clogging the print
    >>heads..or will I get a warning by the appearance of the print [ ie faded
    >>color ] ? thanx George
    >

    > It may make a difference which printer you have. Some Canon models have an
    > optical sensor that get the low on ink indicator close, and then count drops
    > from there. That would probably work for your application. A model that only
    > counts drops might have a problem with an underfilled cartridge.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Printers Internet Explorer Peripherals