Desktop Icons

Normally I keep my desktop icons in a particular order, but lately every time
I reboot my machine it brings them up in a different order. I laboriously
rearrange them, and but it screws them up every time. Not really
alphabetical, not really anything else I can discern.

If I right click the desktop and look at "Arrange Icons By" the only check
marks are for "Align by Grid" and "Show Icons".

I'm now about to replace them in their proper positions *again* and then
click "Lock on Desktop" but I don't understand why I need to do this as I
never have before.

Is there something in the configuration somewhere that I've accidentally
tweaked? A puzzle....

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)
5 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons

    1. Check that you don't have something nefarious in
    Scheduled tasks in control panel
    2. Check that Windows saves your setup upon
    exit/logoff/reboot
    3. Use 3rd Party software to "remember the locations of
    your icons"

    Uncheck Auto arrange and align to grid.

    "Bill Martin" wrote:

    > Normally I keep my desktop icons in a particular order, but lately every time
    > I reboot my machine it brings them up in a different order. I laboriously
    > rearrange them, and but it screws them up every time. Not really
    > alphabetical, not really anything else I can discern.
    >
    > If I right click the desktop and look at "Arrange Icons By" the only check
    > marks are for "Align by Grid" and "Show Icons".
    >
    > I'm now about to replace them in their proper positions *again* and then
    > click "Lock on Desktop" but I don't understand why I need to do this as I
    > never have before.
    >
    > Is there something in the configuration somewhere that I've accidentally
    > tweaked? A puzzle....
    >
    > Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

    > 1. Check that you don't have something nefarious in
    > Scheduled tasks in control panel
    > 2. Check that Windows saves your setup upon
    > exit/logoff/reboot
    > 3. Use 3rd Party software to "remember the locations of
    > your icons"

    1. Nothing nefarious in the scheduled tasks. One simple batch file of my own
    creation and a couple events placed there by Symantec NAV. Nothing which has
    changed in the last year or so.

    2. This sounds promising, but how does one check that XP saves my setup upon
    exit/logoff/reboot? I've tried all the keywords I can think of in the Help
    system, searched in the Desktop Properties, and have wandered aimlessly
    through the various Control Panel items without stumbling upon the magic.

    Thanks...

    Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

    Reread the post---------the only things checked are align to grid and show
    icons.
    "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Uncheck Auto arrange and align to grid.
    >
    > "Bill Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > Normally I keep my desktop icons in a particular order, but lately every
    time
    > > I reboot my machine it brings them up in a different order. I laboriously
    > > rearrange them, and but it screws them up every time. Not really
    > > alphabetical, not really anything else I can discern.
    > >
    > > If I right click the desktop and look at "Arrange Icons By" the only check
    > > marks are for "Align by Grid" and "Show Icons".
    > >
    > > I'm now about to replace them in their proper positions *again* and then
    > > click "Lock on Desktop" but I don't understand why I need to do this as I
    > > never have before.
    > >
    > > Is there something in the configuration somewhere that I've accidentally
    > > tweaked? A puzzle....
    > >
    > > Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

    > Normally I keep my desktop icons in a particular order, but lately every
    > time I reboot my machine it brings them up in a different order.

    To add to the confusion, last night I tried checking the "ArrangeIcons" >
    "LockWebItemsOnDesktop" and it does nothing to lock the icons in their
    positions. It changed the background appearance of the text under the icons,
    but I could still drag them around and the system still scrambled them when I
    rebooted.

    Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

Desktops Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows XP