No Logon Screen in WINNT4

help

Good day to all,

I have a WINNT4 SP6a PC that is missing the logon screen.
Boots normally but stops before the logon screen appears
(Ctrl-Alt-Del screen). All HDD activities stops at that
point but Mouse and keyboard are ok and not locked up. I
have no ERD and want to avoid reloading the OS. I'm
guessing a service that is needed to continue the boot
process is failing but don't know which one. Any help or
comments would be much appreciated!!

TN

Try booting up into safe mode. Edit the boot.ini. Add a "/sos" to the end of
the line calling the VGA mode. Such as:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT Server Version 4.00
[VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos
If you can not edit the boot.ini, then format a floppy in another NT
machine. Copy these files to it: (note: you may not need or have all of
them, depends on your system)

COMMAND.COM
boot.ini
DRVSPACE.BIN
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
ntldr
NTDETECT.COM
BOOTSECT.DOS

Then edit the boot.ini as above (You may have to change the drive and
partition numbers to reflect the machine you want to boot). Then boot with
the floppy and select the VGA mode. Then cross your fingers and say Please
please please. If you get it up then you can check the logs, disable any
services or uninstall things.

--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.
"HELP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good day to all,
>
> I have a WINNT4 SP6a PC that is missing the logon screen.
> Boots normally but stops before the logon screen appears
> (Ctrl-Alt-Del screen). All HDD activities stops at that
> point but Mouse and keyboard are ok and not locked up. I
> have no ERD and want to avoid reloading the OS. I'm
> guessing a service that is needed to continue the boot
> process is failing but don't know which one. Any help or
> comments would be much appreciated!!
>
> TN

help

Thanks Yor for the fast response. I edited the boot.ini in
a parallel installation but did not help. It will get
stuck in the boot process at that same point, before the
logon screen appears but this time in VGA mode.

Calvin

Hi,

I can't offer a lot of advice at this point, but judging by the symptoms you are
reporting, WinLogon is the process that is failing to start - as to WHY it is
failing, that is another matter.

Do you get a popup message stating that one or more services/drivers failed to
start if you leave the machine stand for a couple of minutes when you get to the
point where it is 'stuck' ?

Have you added changed anything on the machine lately ? Was the machine
protected by up to date Anti-Virus software ?

Calvin.