I am confused on what to get

dkoron

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2005
Well, I am trying to build a new computer.
I am confused in the sense there is so many things available. This computer is designed for the maximum graphic performance and multi task management. Also need to have dual monitor support.Budget is not an option

1st option:
AMD with ddr compared to pentium with ddr2
I dont know which will be better... AMD with a ddr400 or pentium with ddr800

2nd option:
Dual graphics card(SLI)... with a nividia chipset OR single graphic card with intel chipset 955X OR wait for the intel chipset 975. Question here is if i go with dual graphic cards in SLI.... the chipset can only support ddr2 up to 667....if i got with a single graphic card I can get the ddr2800 ram support but its one video card. Also will the 975 be worth it? will it only work for ati cards? I kinda of lean towards nividia in graphics card

Also, I heard that for SLI you cant use dual monitors or something along those lines?

Thanks so much guys

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Well, I am trying to build a new computer.
I am confused in the sense there is so many things available. This computer is designed for the maximum graphic performance and multi task management. Also need to have dual monitor support.Budget is not an option

1st option:
AMD with ddr compared to pentium with ddr2
I dont know which will be better... AMD with a ddr400 or pentium with ddr800

2nd option:
Dual graphics card(SLI)... with a nividia chipset OR single graphic card with intel chipset 955X OR wait for the intel chipset 975. Question here is if i go with dual graphic cards in SLI.... the chipset can only support ddr2 up to 667....if i got with a single graphic card I can get the ddr2800 ram support but its one video card. Also will the 975 be worth it? will it only work for ati cards? I kinda of lean towards nividia in graphics card

Also, I heard that for SLI you cant use dual monitors or something along those lines?

Thanks so much guys

AMD is going to give you better gaming....PERIOD
ANd unless you can afford to get two 7800GT's, 7800GTX's, 7800GTX 512mb's you shouldn't even think about SLI. Unless you have a lot of money to throw at this you shouldn't worry about SLI.

If you arn't OCing, which it sounds like your not get the 3700+, EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939, 1GB of OCZ platinum Rev2, and whatever HDD and optical drive you want. Make sure to get a 400W power supply from enermax or fortron source.....the brans are important not the 400W. They are super quality....get whichever you can find cheaper.

have fun

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
If DDR2 was a big difference then Intel would be king right now. If you go AMD right now you wont notice a difference. If ddr2 concerns you then you can always wait a few months and get an AMD socket M2 that will have ddr2 support.

dkoron

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2005
I guess AMD then
For SLI.. can I use dual monitors? Heard I had to restart if I want both graphic cards working towards 1 game.. and had to do that on one monitor

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
First off....DDR2 you need DDR2 800 to equal DDR400.....the timings are so high thats why.

SECONDLY AMD is better with games...PERIOD

THIRDLY.....you can use two monitors and you dont have to reboot as long as you are using both ports on one card. Once you use both cards you will have to reboot. Meaning if you use one port on each card, or you use three monitors you will have to reboot.

FOURTHLY...may i havea hug?