Home Network

August 11, 2004 5:23:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I have three computers hooked up through a linksys wireless router. I'm
trying to make PC's #1, see PC #3. Conditions;

1) All three PC's can get on the internet through the DSL modem which is
hooked to the router.

2) All PC's are part of the same workgroup

3) PC #3 DOES NOT have firewall enabled.

What what should I look for to successfully set up this network?

TIA

More about : home network

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 5:23:44 PM

"DssSouth" <DssSouth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have three computers hooked up through a linksys wireless router. I'm
> trying to make PC's #1, see PC #3. Conditions;
>
> 1) All three PC's can get on the internet through the DSL modem which is
> hooked to the router.
>
> 2) All PC's are part of the same workgroup
>
> 3) PC #3 DOES NOT have firewall enabled.
>
> What what should I look for to successfully set up this network?
>
> TIA

Do PCs 1&2 have a firewall? What OS is each PC running? What mode are you
connecting for each PC (wired or wireless)?
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 5:23:44 PM

If your using XP:
1. Are the Guest accounts enabled on all computers?
2. Do you have XP firewall enabled on any machines?
3. Have you tried using Static IP's (if indeed u r
getting IP's from your Router) and mapping all three
computers to their relevant IP adresses in in the
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

Give these a try and let us know if you're still having
problems.

August 11, 2004 5:23:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I think he is asking for suggestions. Here is what I would do.

First off, get a firewall on PC #3. I recommend Sygate Personal
Firewall (http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm)

Second, I would suggest wireless (802.11g 54 Mbps) only if you don't
already have a router. Your wording makes it sound like you may already
have one, so you are just going to hook it up whichever way the router
requires.

Third, in setting this up, you are going to plug the DSL Modem into the
WAN port of the router, then plug in each computer to one of the ports
(or wirelessly using a Channel and I recommend at least WEP Encryption).
Now, set up the router as described in the manual that it came with or
you can look it up online.

As long as you have all three PC's firewalls configured properly, you
should be able to share files between all of them as well as access the
internet on all of them (assuming you set up the router correctly). You
will need to set them all to the same Workgroup. Do this by right
clicking on My Computer, click Properties, click Computer Name Tab,
click Change, and set the name in there ;)

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask any other questions you might
have or want me (or anyone else) to elaborate on.

----
Nathan McNulty

jch wrote:
> "DssSouth" <DssSouth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have three computers hooked up through a linksys wireless router. I'm
>>trying to make PC's #1, see PC #3. Conditions;
>>
>>1) All three PC's can get on the internet through the DSL modem which is
>>hooked to the router.
>>
>>2) All PC's are part of the same workgroup
>>
>>3) PC #3 DOES NOT have firewall enabled.
>>
>>What what should I look for to successfully set up this network?
>>
>>TIA
>

> Do PCs 1&2 have a firewall? What OS is each PC running? What mode are you
> connecting for each PC (wired or wireless)?

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 8:03:52 PM

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> I think he is asking for suggestions. Here is what I would do.
> First off, get a firewall on PC #3. I recommend Sygate Personal
> Firewall (http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm)

Do *not* enable firewalls during the troubleshooting stage. You'll never
know if your problems are related to a misconfigured firewall or something
else (eg hardware problems, connection error, configuration error). Remove
as many unknowns as possible.

> Second, I would suggest wireless (802.11g 54 Mbps) only if you don't
> already have a router. Your wording makes it sound like you may already
> have one, so you are just going to hook it up whichever way the router
> requires.

The OP already has a wireless router but hasn't told us which one. Nor has
he said if all 3 PCs are connected wirelessly or by ethernet. Nor has he
said what OSs are used. This is important information which should be
obtained before handing out suggestions.

> Third, in setting this up, you are going to plug the DSL Modem into the
> WAN port of the router, then plug in each computer to one of the ports
> (or wirelessly using a Channel and I recommend at least WEP Encryption).
> Now, set up the router as described in the manual that it came with or
> you can look it up online.

Do not enable encryption until the network is proven to work. Disable
firewalls and encryption until the basic configuration and setup are shown
to work. Then go back and enable these functions if desired.

> As long as you have all three PC's firewalls configured properly, you
> should be able to share files between all of them as well as access the
> internet on all of them (assuming you set up the router correctly). You
> will need to set them all to the same Workgroup. Do this by right
> clicking on My Computer, click Properties, click Computer Name Tab,
> click Change, and set the name in there ;)

The OP already said he had the PCs in the same workgroup.

> Hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask any other questions you might
> have or want me (or anyone else) to elaborate on.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> jch wrote:
> > "DssSouth" <DssSouth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have three computers hooked up through a linksys wireless router. I'm
> >>trying to make PC's #1, see PC #3. Conditions;
> >>
> >>1) All three PC's can get on the internet through the DSL modem which is
> >>hooked to the router.
> >>
> >>2) All PC's are part of the same workgroup
> >>
> >>3) PC #3 DOES NOT have firewall enabled.
> >>
> >>What what should I look for to successfully set up this network?
> >>
> >>TIA
> >

> > Do PCs 1&2 have a firewall? What OS is each PC running? What mode are
you
> > connecting for each PC (wired or wireless)?

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 8:03:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I completely missed the first part of his message. Sorry about that, I
think I need to get some sleep. I was throwing out a suggestion on how
to set up his network, but he has already done that.

Have you turned on Print and File Sharing on PC #3? Try setting up PC
#3 with the Network Setup Wizard (if you are using Windows XP). Also, I
would change the workgroup for PC #3 to something else, reboot, and then
change it back, reboot, and see if there was just something that didn't
take.

----
Nathan McNulty

jch wrote:
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>I think he is asking for suggestions. Here is what I would do.
>>First off, get a firewall on PC #3. I recommend Sygate Personal
>>Firewall (http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm)
>

> Do *not* enable firewalls during the troubleshooting stage. You'll never
> know if your problems are related to a misconfigured firewall or something
> else (eg hardware problems, connection error, configuration error). Remove
> as many unknowns as possible.
>

>>Second, I would suggest wireless (802.11g 54 Mbps) only if you don't
>>already have a router. Your wording makes it sound like you may already
>>have one, so you are just going to hook it up whichever way the router
>>requires.
>

> The OP already has a wireless router but hasn't told us which one. Nor has
> he said if all 3 PCs are connected wirelessly or by ethernet. Nor has he
> said what OSs are used. This is important information which should be
> obtained before handing out suggestions.
>

>>Third, in setting this up, you are going to plug the DSL Modem into the
>>WAN port of the router, then plug in each computer to one of the ports
>>(or wirelessly using a Channel and I recommend at least WEP Encryption).
>> Now, set up the router as described in the manual that it came with or
>>you can look it up online.
>

> Do not enable encryption until the network is proven to work. Disable
> firewalls and encryption until the basic configuration and setup are shown
> to work. Then go back and enable these functions if desired.
>

>>As long as you have all three PC's firewalls configured properly, you
>>should be able to share files between all of them as well as access the
>>internet on all of them (assuming you set up the router correctly). You
>>will need to set them all to the same Workgroup. Do this by right
>>clicking on My Computer, click Properties, click Computer Name Tab,
>>click Change, and set the name in there ;)
>

> The OP already said he had the PCs in the same workgroup.
>

>>Hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask any other questions you might
>>have or want me (or anyone else) to elaborate on.
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>jch wrote:
>>
>>>"DssSouth" <DssSouth@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Do PCs 1&2 have a firewall? What OS is each PC running? What mode are
>
> you
>
>>>connecting for each PC (wired or wireless)?

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 5:19:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

All three PC's Windows XP Home Edition
All three "" firewall disabled
PC's #1 and #2 have had the "setup home network wizard run"
PC's #1 and #2 are "hardwired" to the wirelesss router.
PC's #1 and #2 ARE in a state of "repair" viruses, hijackers, spyware,
etc..."
NOTE: other PC's have beenn successfully connected to this network.

I'm trying to connect these 2 PC's to the third so that I can run some
utilities, ie Spybot, CWShredder, and a backup.

Thanks in advance (TIA)

!