No Keyboard, No Mouse at Logon screen

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Windows NT 4.0 SP6

I installed a critical update from the windowsupdate site, and when the
computer rebooted I have no keyboard or mouse control when the logon screen
appears. Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to what patch was
installed, I just know it was a "critical" and was installed separately.

The Keyboard actually does work, I can access the Bios and maneuver around
in there.

When the Windows Logon screen appears though the keyboard & mouse stop
working. It's like something actually turned them off. The NUM Lock and
CAPS lock do not even work.

Anyone ever encountered such a thing? Suggestions?

James

P.S.
I am going to try that "/SOS" safe mode I saw somewhere, as I can access
boot.ini from the network. Will keep you posted on that...

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

James <noemail@example.com> wrote in

> Windows NT 4.0 SP6
>
> I installed a critical update from the windowsupdate site, and when
> the computer rebooted I have no keyboard or mouse control when the
> logon screen appears. Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to
> what patch was installed, I just know it was a "critical" and was
> installed separately.
>
> The Keyboard actually does work, I can access the Bios and maneuver
> around in there.
>
> When the Windows Logon screen appears though the keyboard & mouse stop
> working. It's like something actually turned them off. The NUM Lock
> and CAPS lock do not even work.
>
> Anyone ever encountered such a thing? Suggestions?
>

> James
>
> P.S.
> I am going to try that "/SOS" safe mode I saw somewhere, as I can
> access boot.ini from the network. Will keep you posted on that...

The "Safe Mode" switch was already present in the boot.ini and that
didn't do anything different. :(

So... I did a repair from the installation disk- 1st I repaired the
system files and it blue-screened. So I did it again all system files
and programs and now:

The Mouse Works
The Keyboard Works

but...

There's no logon dialog box!

I refer myself to the previous thread entitled "No Logon Screen in
WINNT4"

Calvin

Hi James,

I wish you would have waited a while before taking drastic steps like a 'repair
disk' option - you may have just significantly lessened the chances of
successfully recovering your NT 4.0 installation.

To quote my standard answer in response to your keyboard and mouse problem:

This question is constantly asked - the frequency of people encountering this
particular problem has skyrocketed in the last year or so because of the all the
Virus/Worm scares and everyone finally deciding to do something about plugging
the multitude of security holes left in Microsoft OSes (NT 4.0 included)

To answer - by any chance did you have a copy of Microsoft Intellimouse prior to
V3.2 installed on the machine ? There is known issue of the 'POST SP6a Security
Rollup (SRP) Q299444' breaking the mouse and keyboard when it is installed under
these conditions.

Have a look at Microsoft Knowledgebase Article:

305462 - Title: Mouse and Keyboard Stop Working After You Install the Windows NT
4.0 Security Rollup Package

I think it will address your particular situation. They offer several possible
fixes for the problem, depending on what type of file system your boot partition
is. (ie: the one that has the /WINNT folder on it)

I managed to cure my particular problem by remote logging in over our LAN and
manually replacing the effected files - fortunately they weren't in use because
they had failed to start. Once I got a working keyboard and mouse again I
properly removed Intellimouse V2.0 using Add/Remove programmes and replaced it
with a later version (V3.2 or later is ok)

END OF STANDARD ANSWER

With the actions you have now taken using a 'repair' function you have regressed
a heap of files on your machine to pre-SP6 versions - the jumbled mix is
probably what has caused your loss of logon dialogue - particularly when you
consider that the structure of the SAM (security database for user accounts) has
been changed over successive service packs, and you have now regressed files
that deal with the SAM to older versions that don't understand the revised SAM
structure. This position, from reports of other people in these newsgroups who
found themselves in a similar state, may well be unrecoverable, and you may have
to reload the whole machine from scratch.

If you have any valuable data on the machine I suggest you do a parallel
installation of NT 4.0 so that you can access the data files on the machine and
copy them to somewhere safe before you wipe and reload.

I can't offer many other suggestions at the moment, if anyone else has some
ideas as to where James should go from here - please help !!

Calvin.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Calvin <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in

> Hi James,
>
> I wish you would have waited a while before taking drastic steps like
> a 'repair disk' option - you may have just significantly lessened the
> chances of successfully recovering your NT 4.0 installation.
>
> To quote my standard answer in response to your keyboard and mouse
> problem:
>
> This question is constantly asked - the frequency of people
> encountering this particular problem has skyrocketed in the last year
> or so because of the all the Virus/Worm scares and everyone finally
> deciding to do something about plugging the multitude of security
> holes left in Microsoft OSes (NT 4.0 included)
>
> To answer - by any chance did you have a copy of Microsoft
> Intellimouse prior to V3.2 installed on the machine ? There is known
> issue of the 'POST SP6a Security Rollup (SRP) Q299444' breaking the
> mouse and keyboard when it is installed under these conditions.
>
> Have a look at Microsoft Knowledgebase Article:
>
> 305462 - Title: Mouse and Keyboard Stop Working After You Install the
> Windows NT 4.0 Security Rollup Package
>
> I think it will address your particular situation. They offer several
> possible fixes for the problem, depending on what type of file system
> your boot partition is. (ie: the one that has the /WINNT folder on it)
>
> I managed to cure my particular problem by remote logging in over our
> LAN and manually replacing the effected files - fortunately they
> weren't in use because they had failed to start. Once I got a working
> keyboard and mouse again I properly removed Intellimouse V2.0 using
> Add/Remove programmes and replaced it with a later version (V3.2 or
> later is ok)
>
> END OF STANDARD ANSWER
>
> With the actions you have now taken using a 'repair' function you have
> regressed a heap of files on your machine to pre-SP6 versions - the
> jumbled mix is probably what has caused your loss of logon dialogue -
> particularly when you consider that the structure of the SAM (security
> database for user accounts) has been changed over successive service
> packs, and you have now regressed files that deal with the SAM to
> older versions that don't understand the revised SAM structure. This
> position, from reports of other people in these newsgroups who found
> themselves in a similar state, may well be unrecoverable, and you may
> have to reload the whole machine from scratch.
>
> If you have any valuable data on the machine I suggest you do a
> parallel installation of NT 4.0 so that you can access the data files
> on the machine and copy them to somewhere safe before you wipe and
> reload.
>
> I can't offer many other suggestions at the moment, if anyone else has
> some ideas as to where James should go from here - please help !!
>
> Calvin.

Yeah, I found out the hard way that a "repair" did exactly the opposite.
Thanks for the parallel installation idea, I wouldn't have thought of
that. Not anything important on that machine anyway, just some email and
contact lists.

There never was an Intellimouse on that computer, in fact all hardware
was the same for last 3 or 4 years. I'm not even sure it was the patch
that caused the problem. I was deleting Netsky(?) from the computer
while installing the critical update. That'll teach me to multi-task.

Cheers,

James