Need HELP urgently PLEASE !

I am running Win Xp Sr-1 on a Dell 8250 and I have now very suddenly
incurred some major issues - upon booting, there is no task-bar/start
button visible (checked all the obvious problems that might cause
this) and my Norton Anti-Virus delivers a message stating it cannot
initialize or run updates - I cannot manually run updates and my
browser doesnt appear to run Java scripts. Additionally Outlook XP
will not send/receive. This all smacks of virus attack to me, yet I
all the on-line "scanners" fail to detect anything - I am at a loss !
Any ideas ?? I have attempted to boot in safe mode however I again
dont get a start menu....

Thanks so much in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about need urgently

    Try this, right click on the task bar and choose
    properties and then uncheck Auto-hide taskbar.

    Jaez had a similar problem in another post, I suggested
    hardware failure, but perhaps I am wrong.

    Have you added any new hardware: Graphics cards etc or
    updated any drivers: display etc? If so remove or
    uninstall!

    If not. Is your Bios showing up properly (can you see the
    whole screen in the config util?), if it is then its a
    software problem, and you may have to consider a paralell
    install or replacing XP files by booting off the CD and
    using recovery console (i-think - been a long time since
    I done that) or doing an install that does not format pc,
    only replaces system files.

    Otherwise try creating a new user profile and booting
    into that profile (perhaps your profile is corrupt)

    Let us know how you get on!

    I have tried using the Windows key to bring up the Start button - no
    luck...

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:12:07 -0400, ~~ The Nightcrawler ~~
    <gutsandglory2003@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I am running Win Xp Sr-1 on a Dell 8250 and I have now very suddenly
    >incurred some major issues - upon booting, there is no task-bar/start
    >button visible (checked all the obvious problems that might cause
    >this) and my Norton Anti-Virus delivers a message stating it cannot
    >initialize or run updates - I cannot manually run updates and my
    >browser doesnt appear to run Java scripts. Additionally Outlook XP
    >will not send/receive. This all smacks of virus attack to me, yet I
    >all the on-line "scanners" fail to detect anything - I am at a loss !
    >Any ideas ?? I have attempted to boot in safe mode however I again
    >dont get a start menu....
    >
    >Thanks so much in advance

    thanks but I CANNOT even access the taskbar ! - I am familiar with the
    hide/unhide option and I am confiedent I did not hide it
    intentionally...

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:24:34 -0700,

    >Try this, right click on the task bar and choose
    >properties and then uncheck Auto-hide taskbar.

    Hi,

    The first thing I would do is check whether you can use safe mode.
    Generally speaking when everything is working there, then it is software
    configuration related...

    To enter safe mode you will need to restart your machine and as soon as your
    BIOS screen disappears press F8. Then select the safe mode option without
    networking. Wait for the machine to boot and logon as your user.

    If the start menu is running ok, then I would use regedit to remove the
    unwanted apps causing this failure.

    The first two keys to look for are
    HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/run
    HKLU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/run

    "~~ The Nightcrawler ~~" wrote:

    > thanks but I CANNOT even access the taskbar ! - I am familiar with the
    > hide/unhide option and I am confiedent I did not hide it
    > intentionally...
    >
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:24:34 -0700,
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Try this, right click on the task bar and choose
    > >properties and then uncheck Auto-hide taskbar.

Windows XP