Sign in with
Your question

Building new rig, need opinions.

Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2005 9:03:44 PM

I'm planning out buying a new mobo, CPU, and video card, here’s what i plan on getting...

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Athlong 64 3700 San Diego
eVGA nVidia 6800GT

Later when the prices for 6800GT's drop i plan on purchasing another and running a pair. Are there any major problems with any of these components, I’ve done research on them and they seem to be stable enough - just wondering what others think about the rig.

I already have 1.5 gigs (3 X 512) of corsair value PC2700 that i plan on transferring, would an upgrade to PC3200 be worth the extra cash? (would just buy 2 gigs of corsair XMS)

Im running a 420watt Antec PSU, is this enough to power the system? Should i be worrying about replacing the stock heat sink, i don’t plan on doing any over clocking.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

More about : building rig opinions

November 19, 2005 9:36:43 PM

Quote:
I'm planning out buying a new mobo, CPU, and video card, here’s what i plan on getting...

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Athlong 64 3700 San Diego
eVGA nVidia 6800GT

Later when the prices for 6800GT's drop i plan on purchasing another and running a pair. Are there any major problems with any of these components, I’ve done research on them and they seem to be stable enough - just wondering what others think about the rig.

I already have 1.5 gigs (3 X 512) of corsair value PC2700 that i plan on transferring, would an upgrade to PC3200 be worth the extra cash? (would just buy 2 gigs of corsair XMS)

Im running a 420watt Antec PSU, is this enough to power the system? Should i be worrying about replacing the stock heat sink, i don’t plan on doing any over clocking.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

your post makes baby jesus cry....

1. 6800GT cards are about as cheap as they are going to get for a longass time. and by the time they get to a lower price...leike 150bucks you wont want it. You will want a new system upgrade.

2. Get a 6800GS, its the same performance as the GT but its cheaper....two of them should run you $400 shipped if you want to do SLI.

3. If you spend 400 on two 6800GS's i will murder you, You could take that same 400 and buy a BFG7800GT and still have about 50bucks left over for pizza and beer. And here is the bright side...ther 7800GT will perform better.

4. PC2700 is going to slow your machine down...not a whole lot but if you sold your PC2700 to a friend or on Ebay for like 100bucks shipped you could buy 1GB kit of kick ass RAM or almost 2GB of value RAM. (i personally think 2GB of ram is pretty useless. it does give you a 3% increase in 3 games...but the cost is too high for that. If you had an extra 100bucks you could spend it and get a 7800GTX or a better graphics card and you would get a 15-30% increase out of your same 100bucks. 3% vs 20%.....tough call)

5. As far as the ASUS goes....too expsensive....get the EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939....cheaper, better, and cheaper and better....did i mention that it was cheaper and better? Great

Take the money you saved....divide it in half and mail me one pile, keep the rest foer yourself.
!