superflybribri

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
Hello Everyone,

My friend recently started having problems with his computer. First it started out by his network card failing to work. We tried to reinstall the drivers with no avail. Afterwards we installed a different network card but that didn't seem to work. The computer then began to restart whenever it wanted. He thought that reformatting the computer might help. So he began doing so but once he goes through the steps of deleting the old partition and making the new one, it heads into formatting the hard drive but never gets through the process. It either restarts on its own or it comes up with the following error message:

IMG_0428.JPG

He took the side of the case off thinking that it may be restarting because of a overheating issue. But this seemed to do little in helping. If you guys have any answers on a possible reason for this to happen or any ideas on a solution, your input would be greatly appriciated.

Thank You,
Robert

endyen

Splendid
Try adding a little voltage to the ram.
How old is this computer? Have you checked the caps?
What kind of psu is it, and how old?
You might want to get the hdd makers drive testing software, though that's a long shot.
Other easy long shots are different cable, and diferent jack.

superflybribri

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
Hello Again,

How exacty do you go about adding more voltage to the RAM? The computer is around three years old. There has been no changing of the cables as of yet. Before there was a problem with the sound card and in order to make it work again he had to remove it and place it back into the system. I will try changing the cable setup and the Hard Drive Diagnostics software.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
this could be a long shot. But how is your Internet Security?

I mean it's not impossible you got a killer virus. If anything i'd honestly install the HD on another system take what you need off there. And then re-Install fresh copy of windows.

Just an Idea.

superflybribri

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
Killer Virus has already been thought of. The error screen that I had shown in my first post occurred during the reformating of the hard drive when doing the initial installation of Windows XP. When getting into the setup of Windows, I deleted the old partition, made a new one, and began to reformat it. That is when that blue screen popped up. I don't know what is going on with that thing.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Download and run Memtest86 to scan for RAM problems.

Get the diagnostic utility from the Hard Disk manufacturer and do a surface scan for bad clusters and/or failing hardware.

Before you attempt either tests or a OS reinstall, remove as much hardware as you can (unplug all USB devices, remove the sound/network/modem cards, use a single memory module, make sure that you use a single IDE device per cable as Master, unplug all unneded devices from the power supply...) to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Device drivers errors can be caused by a multitude of factors, the only way to figure out what is causing those problems is to have the least amount of hardware connected. If you do manage to succesfully install the OS, gradually add one component at a time using the latest drivers available.