HP LaserJet IIP plus suddenly quits working

My HP LaserJet IIP plus always used to work fine, but suddenly it stopped
working. I got the printer from someone else but without any manual, so I'm
not sure how to use the panel buttons. I can't get the printer to print a
self test. Can it be in some odd mode? Is there some default factory setting
that I'm unaware of?
When I switch on I hear the sound and the 2 lights switch on. Then I hear
another sound and only the upper light is on. But in any case the printer
won't feed no paper anymore. I don't think there is jammed paper in it
though...

Another thing: I can't read anything from the printer display. But then, I
never watched the display when the printer worked so I don't know if that's
normal.

Any suggestions for an easy & simple repair or do I have to dispose of it?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628
11 answers Last reply
More about laserjet suddenly quits working

    Have you tried the HP site for manuals?

    Clark

    Linea Recta wrote:

    > My HP LaserJet IIP plus always used to work fine, but suddenly it stopped
    > working. I got the printer from someone else but without any manual, so I'm
    > not sure how to use the panel buttons. I can't get the printer to print a
    > self test. Can it be in some odd mode? Is there some default factory setting
    > that I'm unaware of?
    > When I switch on I hear the sound and the 2 lights switch on. Then I hear
    > another sound and only the upper light is on. But in any case the printer
    > won't feed no paper anymore. I don't think there is jammed paper in it
    > though...
    >
    > Another thing: I can't read anything from the printer display. But then, I
    > never watched the display when the printer worked so I don't know if that's
    > normal.
    >
    > Any suggestions for an easy & simple repair or do I have to dispose of it?
    >
    > --
    > regards,

    WOW! A IIP. I haven't laid eyes on one of those since '91, back in the
    good old days when HP printers were built to last.

    I'd like to help you but I never owned a IIP. Sorry. Hope you get it
    running soon.

    I have a Laserjet IIp, a Laserjet IIIp, 2- Laserjet 5L printers.
    The Test key can be used to perform a self test. To perform a self
    test:

    Click the On Line key to take the printer off-line. The green On-Line
    indicator should be off.

    Hold down the ALT. key and click the Test key.
    05 SELF TEST appears on the LCD.
    This causes the printer to test it's built-in controller. The self
    test takes approximately 30 seconds to complete, and will take longer
    if accessory memory boards have been installed.

    Note! If 04 SELF TEST appears, click the ON LINE key to stop the
    continuous self test. Up to 6 more pages will print. 04 SELF TEST
    appears when you hold down the Test key for more than 5 seconds while
    performing a self test.

    During the print portion of the self test, the printer displays 06
    PRINT TEST and prints out two pages. One page contains test patterns
    and a list of the current printer settings. The second page printed
    during a self test is the printer generated cleaning paper. Use this
    cleaning paper to clean the printer when changing toner cartridges.
    This page has a large area of black on it. To use this page place on
    top of the paper in the input tray face up and do another Self Test.
    Toner had an affinity for other toner and clean it out of the printer.

    Van Gardner

> [...]

    > My HP LaserJet IIP plus always used to work fine, but suddenly it stopped
    > working. I got the printer from someone else but without any manual, so I'm
    > not sure how to use the panel buttons. I can't get the printer to print a
    > self test. Can it be in some odd mode? Is there some default factory setting
    > that I'm unaware of?
    > When I switch on I hear the sound and the 2 lights switch on. Then I hear
    > another sound and only the upper light is on. But in any case the printer
    > won't feed no paper anymore. I don't think there is jammed paper in it
    > though...
    >
    > Another thing: I can't read anything from the printer display. But then, I
    > never watched the display when the printer worked so I don't know if that's
    > normal.
    >
    > Any suggestions for an easy & simple repair or do I have to dispose of it?

    Thanks for your help!

    "Van Gardner" <vangard@worldnet.att.net> schreef in bericht
    > I have a Laserjet IIp, a Laserjet IIIp, 2- Laserjet 5L printers.
    > The Test key can be used to perform a self test. To perform a self
    > test:
    >
    > Click the On Line key to take the printer off-line. The green On-Line
    > indicator should be off.
    >
    > Hold down the ALT. key and click the Test key.
    > 05 SELF TEST appears on the LCD.

    OK, I watched the display carefully with a big light over it because it has
    become very vague. First it said READY.
    After attempting a self test as you describe, the lower light goes on. I
    heard the motor start for a short while and stopping again. It doesn't feed
    paper and I can distinguish "52 ERROR" on the display...
    Is it big trouble?

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../

    "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
    > paper and I can distinguish "52 ERROR" on the display...
    > Is it big trouble?

    That's a very common failure of the IIp. The usual fix is to replace
    the scanner motor:

    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkc5.html

    However, I think I heard somewhere that the actual failure is a
    capacitor on the motor control board going bad, so it might be
    possible to replace just the capacitor.

    IIp's are almost worthless these days, and if you really like the IIp,
    it's probably cheaper to find another one than fix your broken one.

    "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> schreef in bericht
    > "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
    > > paper and I can distinguish "52 ERROR" on the display...
    > > Is it big trouble?
    >
    > That's a very common failure of the IIp. The usual fix is to replace
    > the scanner motor:
    >
    > http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkc5.html
    >
    > However, I think I heard somewhere that the actual failure is a
    > capacitor on the motor control board going bad, so it might be
    > possible to replace just the capacitor.
    >
    > IIp's are almost worthless these days, and if you really like the IIp,
    > it's probably cheaper to find another one than fix your broken one.

    Well, I suppose it's a pity then for the printer and the toner cartridges I
    have... to dump all from the balcony... :-((

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
    URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

    ICQ 326628

    "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
    > > IIp's are almost worthless these days, and if you really like the IIp,
    > > it's probably cheaper to find another one than fix your broken one.
    >
    > Well, I suppose it's a pity then for the printer and the toner
    > cartridges I have... to dump all from the balcony... :-((

    What I mean is that there are lots of used IIp's around and you can
    probably buy another one (or a IIP+ or IIIp) fairly cheaply, that will
    use your toner cartridges. That capacitor seems to be about the most
    common failure. Aside from that, the printers are very solid, if a
    little slow. I still have one with the same failure, and someday may
    try to fix it, but I put it in storage instead and bought a more
    modern printer.

    > "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
    > > > IIp's are almost worthless these days, and if you really like the IIp,
    > > > it's probably cheaper to find another one than fix your broken one.
    > >
    > > Well, I suppose it's a pity then for the printer and the toner
    > > cartridges I have... to dump all from the balcony... :-((
    >
    > What I mean is that there are lots of used IIp's around and you can
    > probably buy another one (or a IIP+ or IIIp) fairly cheaply, that will
    > use your toner cartridges. That capacitor seems to be about the most
    > common failure. Aside from that, the printers are very solid, if a
    > little slow. I still have one with the same failure, and someday may
    > try to fix it, but I put it in storage instead and bought a more
    > modern printer.

    Would it be possible for an average skilful person to do the repair without
    special tools? Would you know (a site) with pictures of the printer inside
    where to operate as an example? I only possess a soldering gun, pliers and
    some screwdrivers. If it is a fairly simple process the effort might pay
    off...

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
    URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

    ICQ 326628

    "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
    > Would it be possible for an average skilful person to do the repair without
    > special tools? Would you know (a site) with pictures of the printer inside
    > where to operate as an example? I only possess a soldering gun, pliers and
    > some screwdrivers. If it is a fairly simple process the effort might pay
    > off...

    I haven't tried the repair myself. I have the impression that the
    usual way to do it is just replace the whole assembly, which only
    needs a screwdriver. Replacing the capacitor would require
    identifying it (I don't know which one it is) and desoldering and
    replacing it. The usual way to identify a bad component
    (e.g. capacitor) is to spray coolant on different parts of the board
    until you find the component that makes the printer work again when
    chilled (capacitors usually don't totally fail, but instead degrade so
    that they'll still work if you get them cold). Then you replace that
    component. That's a standard TV repair procedure and you can get the
    coolant spray at places like Radio Shack.

    > "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
    > > Would it be possible for an average skilful person to do the repair
    without
    > > special tools? Would you know (a site) with pictures of the printer
    inside
    > > where to operate as an example? I only possess a soldering gun, pliers
    and
    > > some screwdrivers. If it is a fairly simple process the effort might pay
    > > off...
    >
    > I haven't tried the repair myself. I have the impression that the
    > usual way to do it is just replace the whole assembly, which only
    > needs a screwdriver. Replacing the capacitor would require
    > identifying it (I don't know which one it is) and desoldering and
    > replacing it. The usual way to identify a bad component
    > (e.g. capacitor) is to spray coolant on different parts of the board
    > until you find the component that makes the printer work again when
    > chilled (capacitors usually don't totally fail, but instead degrade so
    > that they'll still work if you get them cold). Then you replace that
    > component. That's a standard TV repair procedure and you can get the
    > coolant spray at places like Radio Shack.

    OK thanks for your input.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
    URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

    ICQ 326628

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals