Support for NT 4.0 Till When

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Does anybody know how long or till when is Microsoft
going to support NT 4.0 WKS and SRV , With security
patches and updates.

Thanks,

Troy

Troy wrote:

> Does anybody know how long or till when is Microsoft
> going to support NT 4.0 WKS and SRV , With security
> patches and updates.

Somebody is going to give you links to a couple of
MicroSoft pages about "product lifecycles", if they
haven't already done so.

However, the only correct answer anymore is that
nobody really knows - not even MicroSoft. MS has
announced several support expiry dates already, and
has extended them at least three times already -
including another extension just a week or so ago.

The only smart thing to do is to assume that support
might be stopped tommorrow - and plan accordingly.

For many people, the issue has stopped being support
by MicroSoft and has long since changed to NT support
by hardware and software manufacturers. And by and
large, all of them stopped supporting NT long ago -
they only develop for W2K, W2K3, XP and sometimes Linux.
If their product just happens to work with NT you are
in luck, but they sure as heck don't go the least bit
out of their way to make that happen.
to work

Check these links which would give you all the info of the life cycle of
Windows NT

Windows Life-Cycle Policy

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Frequently Asked Questions About Availability and Support

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/ProductInfo/Availability/faq.asp

When will security fixes no longer be available?

January 1, 2005.

When will Windows NT Server 4.0 no longer be available through the System
Builder channel?

Effective July 1, 2003, Windows NT Server 4.0 (Standard) will no longer be
available through the System Builder channel.

Retiring Windows NT Server 4.0: Changes in Product Availability and Support

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/ProductInfo/Availability/Retiring.asp

Kutts (Kuttappa K A)

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------
==From: "Troy" <ranger_rkm@hotmail.com>
==Sender: "Troy" <ranger_rkm@hotmail.com>
==Subject: Support for NT 4.0 Till When
==Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:56:30 -0700
==Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
==
==Does anybody know how long or till when is Microsoft
==going to support NT 4.0 WKS and SRV , With security
==patches and updates.
==
==Thanks,
==
==Troy
==

Calvin

I second Rob's remarks!

Unfortunately many hardware makers are in league with Microsoft and doing their
level best to assist Microsoft to kill NT4 off :-(

I saw promotional material from Intel (Australia) just the other day which
strongly supports my theory. To quote from a page titled 'Asset Management':

"Failure to upgrade unsupported operating systems can introduce unacceptable
risks to the organisation"

It doesn't take a 'Rhode Scholar' to work out that the remark is obviously being
targetted at existing corporate NT4 users.

I suspect that there will be a 10-20% (of the original installed NT4 base)
hardcore holdout element (I'm in this group) who are not going to go down
without a good fight. Self help is the key here !

Rob:
Any more thoughts on the NT4 Reference site - I still plan a page on 'unresolved
issues and bugs', but haven't had a chance to write it yet :-(

Everyone:
please have a look at http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au and give me your feedback - I
really need directions from the NT4 community at large as to what issues are of
importance in keeping this OS (perhaps Microsoft's best effort ever) in a
working condition.

Calvin.

Calvin wrote:

> I second Rob's remarks!
>
> Unfortunately many hardware makers are in league with Microsoft and
> doing their level best to assist Microsoft to kill NT4 off :-(
>
> I saw promotional material from Intel (Australia) just the other day
> which strongly supports my theory. To quote from a page titled 'Asset
> Management':
>
> "Failure to upgrade unsupported operating systems can introduce
> unacceptable risks to the organisation"
>
> It doesn't take a 'Rhode Scholar' to work out that the remark is
> obviously being targetted at existing corporate NT4 users.
>
> I suspect that there will be a 10-20% (of the original installed NT4
> base) hardcore holdout element (I'm in this group) who are not going to
> go down without a good fight. Self help is the key here !
>
> Rob:
> Any more thoughts on the NT4 Reference site - I still plan a page on
> 'unresolved issues and bugs', but haven't had a chance to write it yet :-(

Not really for NT4, but I've been batting around the idea
of doing something similar for W2K. As much as I like
NT4, the world around me has left it behind and I find myself
dealing almost entirely with W2K, W2K3 and XP issues, with
some of the 64 bit beta issues starting to crop up too. I
don't have much choice but to spend my time on the OSes that
still bring in a little income for me.

It occurs to me that even at home I haven't booted NT4 for
a couple of months now - I've been using W2K and RedHat 90%
of the time, with most of the remainder spent on XP. The
FireWire and USB issues are typical of why I don't use NT4
much anymore: I spend enough time fighting with other peoples'
computers and I don't want to spend what little free time I
have at home doing the same thing. I would rather be able to
just attach the peripherals I need and just use the damned
things without having to figure out some obscure tweak that will
make them work with NT4.

> Everyone:
> please have a look at http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au and give me your feedback
> - I really need directions from the NT4 community at large as to what
> issues are of importance in keeping this OS (perhaps Microsoft's best
> effort ever) in a working condition.
>
> Calvin.

Calvin

Hi Rob,

Understood - taming NT4 and training it use the more 'esoteric' peripherals can
be a real chore - but I have the time, and enjoy the challenge. I really like
being able to bore it up all the doomsayers who insist it can't be done. Nothing
gives me greater pleasure than being able to rub their noses in it when I prove
them wrong !

Thanks for your support anyway - and I think you may be right, a similar
resource for the newer OSes will probably be needed. If someone cares to tackle
the task, (sorry, it won't be me, one project at a time is good fishing :) my
advise to them would be start now whilst information and expertise is still
widespread and readily available.

Calvin.