a few questions about upgrading my video card..

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
I have an msi rx800(x800xt platinum).I have to turn my graphics down in fear and sometimes my unreal tournament gets laggy when theres a lot going on and other games are just a little laggy at full graphics I was wondering if i should upgrade? do the new cards x1800xt and the new gtx7800 512mb cards give enough performance to justify an upgrade or should i wait for something comming soon.im not sure but if i upgrade i gotta spend more money which i dont mind if the performance is there.i dont upgrade for a few extra frames but if the new cards perform a decent amount better than my x800xt i might buy one.what do you guys think?

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Stay with what you have....you would need nearly a whole new system to get a 7800GT....your system shuld be fine till the next round of GPU's.

it would be a big cost for a small % upgrade....but its your call.

I agree that it is not worth it to upgrade unless your really particular about your graphics. Just turn the settings down some or lower res. FEAR is taking every modern GPU to its knees - especially at high res/eye candy. Do you have any OC options for your card - get it to X850XTPE?

cleeve

Illustrious
So am I correct is assuming that your X800XT PE should be overkill in UT?

Do you play UT? Experience any framerate issues?

You should be able too game at least 1280x res with AA, right? I thought the new UT engines were pretty easy on the hardware.

RichPLS

Champion
Not much of a gamer, got Doom 3 and Americas Army at full resolutions play fine. Mostly CAD, graphics and some multimedia editing. Only a little gaming in the past year, mostly by my daughters which do not have that high a video demand.

UT2K4 is system limited, it's not the graphics card for sure. We've been seeing that since the R9800/FX5900 days.

The X800XT(especially PE) should have no trouble at all.

Sounds like the system is holding him back, and if it's doing that in UT, it's probably not healping FEAR either.

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
Hello all,
my msi x800xt pe rocks! in some games i can run full blast like like ut2k4
but sometimes when theres a lotta people on the screen it lags up.Im not a 100 percent its the video card there could be many factors.I bought fear and i have to turn my settings down which i spent a ton of cash hoping not to have these problems or at least them be so bad. i also know i need to reinstall which i havent done because i bought my xp disk about a year ago and it has a sratch on it only 1 scratch and it installs complete and then says missing files which really pissed me off cause other wise its brand new disk that cost around 90 bux.Im not sure what to do now about that anyways.I want to play fear with higher settings but im not sure what the best route is.I can either wait till m2 comes and buy the new fx chip that is comming out or is there another immediate alternative
i dont see much difference in whats currently out right now in hardware I was thinking that maybe i need a faster cpu and 1 mb cache.what do you guys think?