None existant file

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a file I am trying to delete from my NT4 BDC.
There is nothing special about this file except when I try
to delete or move the file I get an error telling me the
file cannot be deleted because it cannot be found or does
not exist.

It obviously is there because I can see it. I have tried
to rename the file and move it but I get the same error.

Any Ideas?

Try running
chkdsk /f

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Aaron" wrote:
|I have a file I am trying to delete from my NT4 BDC.
| There is nothing special about this file except when I try
| to delete or move the file I get an error telling me the
| file cannot be deleted because it cannot be found or does
| not exist.
|
| It obviously is there because I can see it. I have tried
| to rename the file and move it but I get the same error.
|
| Any Ideas?

Calvin

Hi Aaron,

I've actually seen this problem before. In my case it was caused by a programme
(probably through poor coding practises) managing to create a file with an
invalid name.

My particular instance I had a file of the form:

"filename.ext " ie: with a trailing space after the extension. Most file
management programmes eg: Explorer, Winfile will choke on this - with the
symptoms you are describing.

To solve it, when the penny finally dropped, I had to delete it from a cmd
prompt, correctly naming it:

ie: "del filename.ext " with the trailing space in place - which actually worked.

You may have a different issue, with the name conflicting with a system
'reserved name' - to solve that problem see Microsoft knowledgebase article
120716 - How to Remove Files With Reserved Names in Windows NT

Hope this info helps,

Calvin.