can a burnt out PCI cause damage to a mobo?

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
just curious if its possible for a PCI card to cause damage to a mobo if it is broken.

i had a tvtuner that i installed, i believe it overloaded the PSu which in turn sent a spark to somthing. (don't know what is or isn't working from my old computer), so i bought a whole new computer and would like to install the tvTuner.

i have a much better PSU and new Ram CPU, mobo, and GFX card.

i am not wanting to waste the $1700 i spent on that by installing a PCI card and blowing it all again.

is it phsically possible for a faulty PCI card to destory the Mobo? or will it just not work if its broken?

thanks

Alltaken

RichPLS

Champion
just curious if its possible for a PCI card to cause damage to a mobo if it is broken.

is it physically possible for a faulty PCI card to destroy the Mobo? or will it just not work if its broken?

thanks

Alltaken

Physically possible, YES, likely possible, probably not; it should just not work at all or exhibit a problem with video or sound would be more likely.
That said, I if suspecting the TV card to be the culprit, would either buy a new tuner card or ask a buddy like Ned to let me try my tuner card in their PC to diagnose it. :twisted:

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
would either buy a new tuner card

was brand new so i am definatly not wanting to do that.

i would sooner punch the PC store guy in the gonads than buy another tv tuner.

i will try to test it on my friends PC but i still have the oppertunity to get the PC store to install it without charge.

:p (yes there is a time and place for violence :D )

Alltaken