3000 vs. 3200

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
okay, should i save $17 on CPU by getting a 3000 venice from zipzoomfly as opposed to 3200 venice revision E#?from monarchcomputer. The rest of the specs are as follows

Biostar GF6100-M9
1GB(2x512)Corsair VS pc3200
x800gto
350w fsp
80gb Western digital sata

i will be playing games.

thanks

RichPLS

Champion
I personally would save the $17 and apply it towards your PSU to get at least FSP 400 watt PSU. Bearing in mind I do think the would probably run the rig with not much to spare, but I would rather buy a little overhead.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I personally would save the $17 and apply it towards your PSU to get at least FSP 400 watt PSU. Bearing in mind I do think the would probably run the rig with not much to spare, but I would rather buy a little overhead.

What the heck do you see that i dont?
I see this....

A low power mobo
A low power cpu
A medium pwer Gfx Card
A low power HDD
Low power RAM

Why would he need 400 and not 350? Fortron source can actually go above its ratings first of....but i would be shocked out of my mind if he used 280W total out of that system....let alone more then 350.

RichPLS

Champion
I see the video card using at least 125 watts alone, and 90 watts for the CPU, that alone is 215 watts being used, not counting mobo, ram, floppy, drives and fans.
An will it ever be considered for overhead for o/c'ng even any?
Also 400 watt is not that large, plus the more overhead you leave unused, the cooler and more stable it will run, not to mention adding years to its life.

Still a good 400 watt is minimum that I would consider with that as a base rig. That is all I indicated in my previous post.

Re-Edited by RichPLS

RichPLS

Champion
load.png

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004

YOU PROVED MY POINT!!!!

READ THE WHOLE THING!!

Thats not the CARD power...thats the SYSTEM load.

MEANING!!!!!!!!!!................a system with 6800GS in it(im sure wherever you pulled this it would say what system) uses only 231W. meaning a 400W PSU would be MORE then enough.

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, a good quality one, almighty one. I still stated that in post, card pulls over 100 watts, and proc around 90 watts the two big ticket items.
But even with a quality PSU, running it 20% or more below max PSU capacity will keep heat down, the power more stable, and increase PSU's life while still allowing for future upgrades and overclocking potential.

And cheaper quality PSU's, even some just barely brand name ones rate their power as peak, not sustained output wattage as you might be inclined to think so you have to be careful with the wattage rating and better safe than sorry... at least understand what over-running or nearing your top end of your PSU's range can do to your system. And a lower end 400 watt PSU might only put out stably 330 watts continuous max and if it is running max output will have a shorter MTBF and put out more heat into your case which can lead to instable power output in itself.

Basically, my advice is free also, and I subscribe to the theory that if you are building your rig yourself, then you might as well end up with at least as good a PC as if you bought a Dell, not a Packard Bell. And even Dell uses quality PSU's that are actually underrated, not overrated.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I am with you 100% that people shouldn' skimp on power supplies and should try to build a quality rig above everything else.

He wasn't saying he was going to get a 500W Ultra Connect X PSU, he was going with a very good quality and underrated PSU. Exactly what you wanted him to do.

If his sysem runs at the 219W your post had, and he has a 350fsp PSU....then he will be at 63% max rated load. Thats acceptable to me for two reasons...1. because i feel you can safely and easily run your computer to roughly 75-80% max rated load 24/7 without having a problem if its a quality brand....which brings my to my 2nd reason. Its a quality brand, under rated, it can handle....form what i have heard....upto 420W peak. So he is even under 50% of actual max load.

We all have our prefernces, and you can reccomend a 400W fsp psu if you want. But i just feel for the reasons stated above that 350 would be a grea psu for him.

TRENDING THREADS