RichPLS

Champion
Seems to me just a ploy to get the heat off of them for just selling Intel Inside when trail comes up soon. I will be convinced otherwise when I see other than just CPU's at high prices, like mobo's and systems configured with AMD, but they must have competitive pricing in order to be sincere about it.

endyen

Splendid
I doubt they will bring a single product to market. To achieve the result they want, a feasability study is all they need. Cost out a few things, productivity rates, availability, then just prove it isn't cost effiecient.

RichPLS

Champion
Right you are. AMD does not manufacture enough products to outfit Dell. No way are they going to switch to AMD only, and I doubt even if they config AMD systems for sale, that they will become a major income line for Dell.
This is either related to legal decisions by attorneys or a ploy or just a marketing gimmick designed to quell the Intel haters rants about Dell....

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Seems to me just a ploy to get the heat off of them for just selling Intel Inside when trail comes up soon. I will be convinced otherwise when I see other than just CPU's at high prices, like mobo's and systems configured with AMD, but they must have competitive pricing in order to be sincere about it.

I concur with that.

I wont believe this untill I start seeing Dell selling serious AMD rigs with longer then 90-day support. Dell just needs to get from underneath that rock their in and smell the coffee. Selling AMD rigs will give them a tap into another marketshare.

endyen

Splendid
Isn't AMD opening a new fab soon?
Did that in September, or early october. It's 65 nano certified, doing 300 mm wafers, but is working on 90 nanos till eary next year.
At full production, they could probably equal about 2/3s Intel's poduction, though I doubt they have the clean room staff fully trained yet.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
The thought of Dell replacing cely's with sempy's makes me drool. The nforce chipset is soooooo much better than the lowend intel crap. Been using Nforce for a good 3 years now and i've never had a single USB issue and the intel boards have all kinds of problems like that every day.