Looking for DVD Player for NT

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

None of the DVD player software I have found so far works in NT. Even the
stuff on the download sites that says its compatible requires some version
of DirectX that is NOT compatible.

So, can anyone recommend DVD player software (preferably freeware) for NT?

Thanks
Brian

Calvin

Hi Brian,

repeating a reply I made to this exact same question about 1 week ago:

I did some research into this a while ago - I haven't as yet tried installing or
using anything, but you may want to have a look at:

http://www.easy-dvd-player.com

The FAQ on this site _claims_ that OS of NT 4.0 is supported.

Most other software DVD players don't support NT (well they don't mention it
does on 'system requirements') - but as has been the case many times before I
have found, just because they don't specifically mention NT 4.0 does NOT mean
the programme won't run on it !

Calvin.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Calvin" <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote
> The FAQ on this site _claims_ that OS of NT 4.0 is supported.

They do claim that, yes. However I downloaded and installed the program.
When I run it, a message comes up saying directX 8.0 is required. I found
two DirectX 8.0 on the MS site. One says its for 9x and the other for win2k.
Neither of them would run on my system.

So, yes the program will *run*. However as far as I can tell, it won't
*play* a DVD.

Calvin

Hi Brian,

I suspected that this would be the case - bummer. I have had a lot of trouble
lately with programmes _claiming_ to be able to run on NT4 when in fact they
will not, and vice-versa.

If you want to persist with your search, I found this today by sheer luck:

http://www.nicsoft.com.au/ - the site is very light on detail, but may be a
hope. No guarantees of course that this will work either, but probably worth
investigation :)

You may also want to have a look at the freeware effort:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ (VideoLan Client - commonly known as VLC)

I know this programme functions ok on NT4, but I've not tried using it's DVD
playback capabilities, so I can't vouch for them working.

I expect you are reaching the same conclussion as myself - namely: I wish the
programmers and marketeers out there would spend even 1/10th of time checking
the accuracy of their facts (epspecially system requirements!) as they obvious
devote to the marketing hype :-(

Good luck with your quest Brian. If you do have any success, let us all know.

Calvin.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Calvin" <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote
> Good luck with your quest Brian. If you do have any success, let us all
know.

Thanks much. I will keep looking, but this is turning in to a lot of work
just so I can watch DVDs on my work PC.