939 socket self build which mobo?

kabetz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2005
Hi, first time poster so hello to the board. :D

I've bought myself a dual core 4800+ processor and I'm going to build my first computer. Could some of you recommend which mobo I should be buying from the following info provided.

1. The computer will be used for photoshop and dvd editing.
2. I also want to install a tv card on the computer.
3. I don't play any games.

I think those are the most important points. What I'm trying to understand is do I need an SLI board for multiple graphic cards as I'm unsure as to whether these multiple cards only help games or whether they help dvd editing and tv watching - or photoshop graphics for that matter!

For your information I was also thinking to install at least 2 meg of memory and at least 2 160gb hard drives.

Thanks in advance.

RichPLS

Champion
Not quite enough info, do you need SLI or not. If money is there, the Asus A8N-SLI Premium has about everything you could want, whether or not you plan on using SLI in the future.
I probably would not go SLI, so I would wait for a X1800XT or PE when they come widely available in a month or so and might consider DFI's board as an alternative.

RichPLS

Champion
Read and comprehend, I said first "Not quite enough info" and was phishing for facts hoping to get him thinking!
Then I started talking realizing I do not know his budjet or much more... and so lead into what I probably would do... Unrelated maybe, but now he can chime in if he is still around... :wink:

RichPLS

Champion
Besides, there is like a $20 differnce between the FSP 350 verses FSP 400... and this is not much for a custom rig to have better oomph which can handle future upgrades and current requirements better!

RichPLS

Champion
He was wondering if SLI was the way to go or not, I would think not, but if he is considering SLI and not a gamer, must have some serious cash reserved for the system... ya think?

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Or maybe he doesn't understand what SLI is, what benifits it has.....

He was asking if video cards help with DVD encding, and photoshop....and if the gpus DID help (WHICH THEY DO NOT) then he might invest in an SLI board and a couple SLI cards. But since you and i both know that Gpu's dont matter AT ALL for thsoe tasks other then displaying the picture on the screen....you should maybe throw out some ideas that are about $650-$675 less then what you did.

He may have some money to throw at it or not.....some people want budget SLI systems because they dont know how it works and the performance.

Admit you were wrong, admit you really didn't read the first post all that well and that i am your god, and we can move on.

RichPLS

Champion
Admit you were wrong, admit you really didn't read the first post all that well and that i am your god, and we can move on.

Muhahahaha!!!!

I stated the facts as I see them! I still stand by the fact I would put up another $20 bucks for better hardware. :lol:

kabetz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2005
Thanks for the info. I don't know what SLI is but I'm guessing that if I don't play games I don't need it. I wasn't sure if a graphics card helped with photoshop or dvd editing but you've cleared that one up too. :D

With regard to the budget, I've no problem spending upto $1600 what I didn't want to do was first buy something that I didn't need, like SLI.

Secondly, I didn't want to put the fast processor with kit that wouldn't do it justice.

Your advice is very helpful.

Thanks.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
it all depends on what you want......a $800 machine will do layut and photoshop stuff alright and get the job done....but a $1600 purpose built machine will do everything MUCH faster....its all about budget and needs.

if you dont do PS stuff that much then yo dont need a great machine. If you do PS stuff all day everyday that extra speed will help.