Right-Click Start Menu

If I right-click on the start menu (any folder/app under start menu) or anywhere
on the task bar, it takes a good 30 seconds to a minute for it to respond and
bring up the context menu.

I've killed (kill pid) off all processes to see if any non-os processes were the
problem and it doesn't seem they were as the time to bring up the context menu is
the same.

No virus', no spyware, nothing of that sort installed. Just Windows2k, .Net
Framework 1.0 and 1.1 along with both .Net 1.0 development suite and 1.1
development suite (both VS enterprise).

Any suggestions? Just stinks when I want to delete an item from my quicklaunch,
or rename something on my quicklaunch...sort, et cetera....can theoretically take
hours to re-organize my start menu.

Thanks in advance,

Mythran

What version of Internet Explorer are you running? A slow menu like that
sounds explorer related - maybe try updating to IE 6 SP1 and see if
that helps you out at all.
good luck
sh4d03

--
If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail
me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au

And yes, it's SP1

Mythran

"sh4d03" <sh4d03@TPG.com.au> wrote in message news:40cff686@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> What version of Internet Explorer are you running? A slow menu like that
> sounds explorer related - maybe try updating to IE 6 SP1 and see if
> that helps you out at all.
> good luck
> sh4d03
>
> --
> If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail
> me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au
> Thanks,
> Sh4d03

Version 6.0.2800.1106

AFAIK, most recent version. No updates available so I imagine it is.

Mythran

"sh4d03" <sh4d03@TPG.com.au> wrote in message news:40cff686@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> What version of Internet Explorer are you running? A slow menu like that
> sounds explorer related - maybe try updating to IE 6 SP1 and see if
> that helps you out at all.
> good luck
> sh4d03
>
> --
> If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail
> me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au
> Thanks,
> Sh4d03

And yes, it's SP1

Mythran

"sh4d03" <sh4d03@TPG.com.au> wrote in message news:40cff686@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> What version of Internet Explorer are you running? A slow menu like that
> sounds explorer related - maybe try updating to IE 6 SP1 and see if
> that helps you out at all.
> good luck
> sh4d03
>
> --
> If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail
> me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au
> Thanks,
> Sh4d03

Are you sure there is no spyware running? Run the following:
AdAware
Spybot
SpySweeper
CWShredder

After they've all done their stuff try running HiJackThis and then Email
me your log file (see below for details on E-mailing me).

How's your hard drive space going? Anywhere near full?

good luck
sh4d03

--
If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail
me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au - please make ensure you insert

sh4d03,

1.) Positive, pure development machine w/no ability to download any type of
software. Unless Microsoft has started placing spyware as part of some new
strategic marketing move, there is no possibility of spyware.

2.) No hacker. This machine is NOT hackable from my pov. Of course it is, but
it is extremely unlikely. If this machine was hacked, then this office would be
in quite a bit of trouble.

3.) HD Space, its fine. Most of the development is done on the local drive then
moved to tape on the mainframe (yeah, old storage methods die hard...especially
when they are still coming out with "new and improved" tapes and tape drives for
large environments.

4.) I can't run HiJackThis as it would require me to download from the Internet.
I chose not to dl from the Internet for the specific reason of Spyware. BUT, it
is still possible for me to download something that I want and see useful for
development......I guess I can ... I'll reply in awhile as I will have to do some
work around here and don't know if I have time this morning.

5.) Thanks for your quick replies....

> Are you sure there is no spyware running? Run the following:
> AdAware
> Spybot
> SpySweeper
> CWShredder
>
> After they've all done their stuff try running HiJackThis and then Email
> me your log file (see below for details on E-mailing me).
>
> How's your hard drive space going? Anywhere near full?
>
> good luck
> sh4d03
>
> --
> If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail
> me at sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au - please make ensure you insert
> the word "Newsgroup" before anything else in the subject line.
> Thanks,
> Sh4d03

If you're totally, absolutely %100 paranoid, you could download
HiJackThis and burn it to a cd after you've scanned it etc.
I can't remember what Operating System you're running - can you remind me?
The reason I want to know is if you can get into Msconfig and have a
look at the services starting up you could disable anything you don't
NEED to load Windows and see if any difference is made. Hence the
benefit of HijackThis we can just look at the log from it and find out.
good luck
sh4d03